Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Polestar XC90 Performance Upgrade - Worth It?

Views : 32141

Replies : 61

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 29th, 2010, 13:04   #21
idheath

Does the Polestar upgrade change the emmisions for either the manual or auto?
idheath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29th, 2010, 13:33   #22
ITServe
XC90 Exec in Grey Pearl

Well, my wife had to go to Nottingham today, so she drove through Grantham and got the polestar fitted this morning. I will hear how good it is when she gets back this evening!

As far as I am aware, it makes no difference to the emmissions, and should improve fuel economy - unless you use it all the time that is, if you're gonna boot it continuously to feel the extra power you won't benefit!

Have had a superchips remap on a 320d and that is fantastic - better economy, 43 more PS and 100Nm more torque! Not so dramatic on the XC90 but the torque increase should make a big difference on pull aways.

I'll post again when I've driven it!
ITServe is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to ITServe For This Useful Post:
Old May 4th, 2010, 14:22   #23
CharlieG

If you don't mind me asking, what price is the supplying dealership offering you?

The best price being offered through SMW Volvo in Belfast is £579.00. Still too dear for me as my XC90 is a 2003 (MY2004).

Thanks.
CharlieG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2010, 10:57   #24
Bathurst

Smile

IT Serve - have you driven it yet?

T.
Bathurst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2010, 11:16   #25
miketango75

I'm waiting for news too !
Old May 5th, 2010, 18:13   #26
ITServe
XC90 Exec in Grey Pearl

Hi Folks! Sorry for the delay adding to the thread.

I have driven the car now quite a bit, and it is better at getting up to speed. It is easier to drive gently too, as it pulls better at lower revs, so less painfull to drive economically than before.

The average economy is now 32mpg, up from 29mpg before. It was at 34mpg but after a few runs with me driving and accelerating hard occasionally I got it down a bit.

It does seem to have made a difference to economy, although the car is brand new and now has 2ooo miles on the clock, so the engine will also be freeing up a little now.

Best thing was that I got Volvo Insurance down to 380 quid so the Polestar cost me nothing extra to insure!

Overall I am happy with the 550 pounds it cost us. We plan on keeping the car for some years, unless we get bored with it! Making it nicer to drive and more responsive is worth it in my opinion, and a little better economy to boot is a bonus
The Following User Says Thank You to ITServe For This Useful Post:
Old May 6th, 2010, 19:41   #27
lordlichfield

I would consider it if it improved fuel economy substantially but it doesn't look like it is worth it to me. Performance would be further down my list, it is not a sports car so I don't need to be driving it hard - I just need more MPG!
lordlichfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2010, 20:14   #28
LRS
Sugga Wannabe

My old BMW 335d 286 bhp was Evolve remapped to 350 bhp an increase of 64 bhp for £599!

Volvo on the other hand charges £600 for an increase of just 20 bhp! I’m struggling to see the value in that? Volvo needs to lower this to around £250 and then I would consider it!
Old May 6th, 2010, 21:09   #29
ITServe
XC90 Exec in Grey Pearl

LRS I tend to agree, but stomached the cost on the basis that I got a massive discount on the car new anyway. Also, as I said, it does make the car more pleasurable to drive, its the torque rather than the BHP that helps or course. I too have a chipped alternative vehicle, mine's a 320d M Sport, superchipped to 220 PS and 450Nm Torque - for £399 with a handheld bluefin programmer thrown in for when I need to de-map it! Much better value for money I know!
Old May 7th, 2010, 08:08   #30
jeffo

Your both so wrong. Thank god you made the right choice with the Volvo.

You really should get rid of those horrible BMWs and replace them with a Jaguar XKR. Having just written one off I know how good they are, and although my wife made me buy her a Mini Convertible, next year I will be back in an XKR.

420 bhp...without the need to chip it. The 2011 model (although to rich for my blood) puts out 510 bhp.

Drive a Jag XK...You'll never go back to those boring BMs.
jeffo is offline   Reply With Quote