Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S40 / V40 '96-'04 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S40 / V40 '96-'04 General Forum for the Volvo S40 and V40 (Classic) Series from 1995-2004.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

HU-1205 and CD Changer retrofit

Views : 3663

Replies : 45

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 5th, 2015, 19:47   #21
brent

Of course modern satnavs are more up to date, but that's not really what I'm interested in, I'm interested in retrofitting options to the car that were available at the time it was produced. It's a 2001 model so I'll only retrofit what was available at the time. Waste of money? More than likely But I enjoy the hunt for the parts, and I enjoy tinkering with the car. The more I tinker with it the more I'm growing to like this little thing.

Plus, I've pretty much run out of things to retrofit to my Jag. So it's the Volvos turn
brent is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to brent For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 5th, 2015, 20:26   #22
kieran40
I've Been Banned

Brent the sky is the limit my friend when it comes to upgrades on the x40, has youre volvo got trims inside like black piano, wood, or cyborg, then there is heated seats,electric power seats, family pack,loads and loads tbh

Steering wheels are hard to come by if you want the full trim. I've got full black piano in mine inc steering wheel which I added.ive got chrome ring instrument binnacle waiting to be fitted aswell as the climate control upgrade. 17 inch aracadia's, chrome outside trim. and here's mine after the chrome ring black bezel headlamp upgrade.i had just plain black bezels before.its got the chrome door handles on now.ive had fun upgrading my s40, I've put the 17inch multi spoke alloys on it. God too much to mention loads more little bits to do like colour code all the plastics. Climate, chrome rings, I've got a rear back box a nice little oval tail pipe on it in the cupboard.i tinted my spot lamps yellow.

Last edited by kieran40; Dec 5th, 2015 at 20:40.
kieran40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5th, 2015, 20:51   #23
kieran40
I've Been Banned

Here's one with arcadia's and full black piano trim http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=192008

Also like I say a wood effect or cyborg which is silver.

Last edited by kieran40; Dec 5th, 2015 at 20:53.
Old Dec 5th, 2015, 21:04   #24
druid
V40 Owner

Sorry to tell you but there's a wood dash kit, cover from the gear stick to the dash! its not OEM but it is out there!

An MS Warior living one day at a time
"Neville" 207,000 so far. Water use 0 - oil negligible....
druid is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to druid For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 5th, 2015, 21:11   #25
kieran40
I've Been Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by druid View Post
Sorry to tell you but there's a wood dash kit, cover from the gear stick to the dash! its not OEM but it is out there!
Doesn't suprise me Druid lol, what about the steering wheel the wood effect one is hard to get well so are the others.
Old Dec 5th, 2015, 21:15   #26
DXMachina
I ate all your bees

Quote:
Originally Posted by kieran40 View Post
Doesn't suprise me Druid lol, what about the steering wheel the wood effect one is hard to get well so are the others.
Gatos told me it is rare as too much skin contact causes the wood effect to peel off... Apparently they don't last
Old Dec 5th, 2015, 21:46   #27
gatos
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DXMachina View Post
Gatos told me it is rare as too much skin contact causes the wood effect to peel off... Apparently they don't last
It's the wood effect gearknob that wears out like hell. Not the steering wheel as much

Nullius in Verba
gatos is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to gatos For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 5th, 2015, 21:55   #28
brent

Well, I've got a pretty long list of things to do
Currently trying to synchronise all the photos I took today whilst tinkering. Will post some of them once that gets sorted.

Fitted the Satnav radio today and it reads the map discs perfectly fine, so that is good, still waiting on the GPS antenna to arrive but I wanted to make sure the Unit worked. Have seen mention of a Volvo logo appearing but that doesn't seem to be evident. I Had a look at the speaker in the back, opened it up and it is just a single speaker inside, can't see an amp anywhere.

So, what's on the list so far...

1. Heated leather seats & trims, picking some up from Antz next week.
2. Amp and cabling for rear speaker.
3. CD changer
4. Fog lights
5. Headlight wipers
6. Climate control
7. Info Centre
8. Convert rear door windows to electric
9. Cruise Control (was this an option?)

Sadly, I doubt I'm up to retrofitting a sunroof

This is just the stuff I know about

I have to admit, apart from the enjoyment I get from reviving a poor little v40 that started life as a fleet car and was cruelly treated before we got it, I'm also making amends to the wife a bit. I play the bagpipes (that alone is not what I'm making amends for in case you are wondering) in a Pipe Band and we played in the London Lord Mayors Parade this year, so I was away on the Friday night for the early start, away all day Saturday for the parade, and got home well after dark.... Saturday being her birthday.... eep.!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to brent For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 5th, 2015, 22:24   #29
kieran40
I've Been Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by brent View Post
Well, I've got a pretty long list of things to do
Currently trying to synchronise all the photos I took today whilst tinkering. Will post some of them once that gets sorted.

Fitted the Satnav radio today and it reads the map discs perfectly fine, so that is good, still waiting on the GPS antenna to arrive but I wanted to make sure the Unit worked. Have seen mention of a Volvo logo appearing but that doesn't seem to be evident. I Had a look at the speaker in the back, opened it up and it is just a single speaker inside, can't see an amp anywhere.

So, what's on the list so far...

1. Heated leather seats & trims, picking some up from Antz next week.
2. Amp and cabling for rear speaker.
3. CD changer
4. Fog lights
5. Headlight wipers
6. Climate control
7. Info Centre
8. Convert rear door windows to electric
9. Cruise Control (was this an option?)

Sadly, I doubt I'm up to retrofitting a sunroof

This is just the stuff I know about

I have to admit, apart from the enjoyment I get from reviving a poor little v40 that started life as a fleet car and was cruelly treated before we got it, I'm also making amends to the wife a bit. I play the bagpipes (that alone is not what I'm making amends for in case you are wondering) in a Pipe Band and we played in the London Lord Mayors Parade this year, so I was away on the Friday night for the early start, away all day Saturday for the parade, and got home well after dark.... Saturday being her birthday.... eep.!
You don't get a volvo logo but the word volvo comes on with the start up on the radio well my 1205 that's the case mate. You will have lots of fun and it's never ending brent. Cruise can be retrofitted read the articles above lots of pointers and how to guides loads of good advice from us aswell most of us have done upgrades

Last edited by kieran40; Dec 5th, 2015 at 22:39.
Old Dec 5th, 2015, 22:56   #30
brent

OK, so these are the connections I found when I removed the 605, there doesn't appear to be anything at all in place to connect to the DIN plug on the 1205 that I assume connects to a CD changer. The car is a pretty basic spec, so is that wiring missing entirely or just hidden somewhere that I'll need to disassemble much more stuff to find?.

The DIN cable that is there, what's that for?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg headunit.JPG (222.7 KB, 18 views)