Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Uneven Tyre Wear

Views : 3362

Replies : 32

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 20th, 2007, 13:46   #21
blues60
My car is blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjm295 View Post
Mine went very early, got them changed on warranty at about 30K But they were gone well before that.
I'd agree with that, it has to be the bushes. I didn't realise that those oil filled bushes could fail so early. I guess that as the T5 has slightly firmer suspension it must accellerate the problem. There is no way you should be scrubbing a set of tyres that quickly unless you do track days every weekend!
Old Mar 20th, 2007, 16:42   #22
Bristol S60

Thanks Guys,

I've just come back from Protyre and they have done a 4 wheel alignment check and shock horror - it is well out again.

I have driven 300 miles since the alignment was done at MRG last night, A38 north Bristol, M4, M25, M1 and back again.

There is something seriously amiss with this car as I have been telling them for the last two years. I don't think they are trying to fob me off though, nor are they pulling a fast one, I just don't think they have seen this before.

I have just e-mailed the report from Protyre to MRG Volvo and will see what they reckon. Out of alignment again within 22 hours

Thanks and will post any update.

James
Bristol S60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20th, 2007, 18:52   #23
quality_shows
VOC 20608

just a thought, and given that the car has been into the main dealers repeatedly for this issue, so you would have thought they would have picked up on worn bushes, is the car on std alloys? even if they are std and the offset is out it could cause the increased wear on the inner edge, but just to have two 'wrong' alloys would be very unusual.
If the rears are wearing evenly it would worth swapping the fronts to the rear and vice-versa, with the mileage you sound to be doing any excess wear will be apparent and point to suspension components.If you want a long interesting read there's some all-round tyre wheel info at

http://www.carbibles.com/tyre_bible.html

hopefully volvo will sort this out for you soon before the car goes over 60k
quality_shows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20th, 2007, 19:00   #24
mhon72
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bristol S60 View Post
Thanks Guys,

I've just come back from Protyre and they have done a 4 wheel alignment check and shock horror - it is well out again.

I have driven 300 miles since the alignment was done at MRG last night, A38 north Bristol, M4, M25, M1 and back again.

There is something seriously amiss with this car as I have been telling them for the last two years. I don't think they are trying to fob me off though, nor are they pulling a fast one, I just don't think they have seen this before.

I have just e-mailed the report from Protyre to MRG Volvo and will see what they reckon. Out of alignment again within 22 hours

Thanks and will post any update.

James
That's pretty bad.
What'll be interesting to see is to get Protyre to check it again in a couple of weeks time to see if anything has changed. If not then there might possibly be something wrong with the jig at MRG.
Old Mar 20th, 2007, 21:22   #25
Bristol S60

Now they are asking me to bring it back into the dealer so that they can check it again.

If they can't find anything what is my next action? Is there some way to complain/escalate to Volvo?

Thanks,

James
Old Mar 20th, 2007, 21:54   #26
CTCNetwork
Forum Support Team

Hi,
Quote:
Now they are asking me to bring it back into the dealer so that they can check it again.

If they can't find anything what is my next action? Is there some way to complain/escalate to Volvo?

Thanks,

James
A simple question would be: Is the car under warranty?
If so, you won't be footing the bill as, by the sounds of it, it is unfit.
I would be getting in touch with Volvo UK and complaining bitterly and when the car goes into the dealer tell them that you will not be accepting it back until that can prove, beyond any doubt that the car has been repaired, and that you have been in touch with Volvo UK..

No one should need to take this sort of slip-shod service, particularly not Volvo customers.
It is a "Premium Brand" after all. If you wanted cruddy, you would have bought something appropriate.
A ford maybe..

Des. . .
People should not be afraid of their governments.
"He'll deliver more justice in a weekend than 10 years of your
Governments should be afraid of their people... "V"
courts & tribunals. Just stay out of his way." "I plan to."
CTCNetwork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23rd, 2007, 12:52   #27
woodbury3

Default pulling

Quote:
Well it's now 24,000 miles later and I have gone through another 6 tyres.

The last service 12,000 miles ago I had to replace all 4 tyres on top of the 2 tyres I replaced as above. Now here I am at 59,000 miles, and thought I would book in for service just before the warranty expires.

Lo and behold, both front tyres are worn on the inner edge. Same problem as before. MRG re-aligned the wheels 24,000 miles ago, then when I took it back 12,000 miles ago fronts were out again, so more money on the alignment. then again today and both fronts are worn in the same place and I will need another 2 new tyres.

MRG in Chippenham say they have checked all the suspension parts, steering, and bushes but cannot find anything wrong. So again today I have had to pay for another wheel alignment, and they are happy that the wheels are all facing straight and all aligned properly.

The only thing they can say is that my driving is suspect as every time I leave the dealer the wheels are aligned, yet come bace out of alignment.

I am still on original brakes, and do mostly motorway/A road mileage. I'm not thrashing the car round abd driving all over bumps etc, just normal business usage and higj miles.

They are also suggesting that it's one of those things and that all cars will go out of sync due to potholes etc on the roads.

Please - does anyone else have thsi problem, and can anyone please help me to get to the bottom of this, it's gettign expensive at service time to have 2 new tyers at £230 plus £50 alignment.

PLEASE PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!

I was just looking for some answers to the same problem, I only get half the wear out of a set of front tyres and have long since given up buying good ones, mine only wears the left inner and pulls left. it used to wear both but had poly bushes fitted they were inexpensive and my local mot place used to fail new volvo bushes as they were soft. police spec harder bushes in their cars. No one can tell me why my car pulls to the left either??
woodbury3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23rd, 2007, 16:47   #28
George K

A couple of comments - a colleague with a S80 has just had his rack replaced because the inboard track rod bushes were worn (at 95,000 miles) - don't know if there is a cheaper fix. This transformed the car.

Also I believe that Volvo went to toe-out at the front to reduce tyre rubbing on full lock. I have tried all sorts of settings ad have found that parallel gives excellent steering response and perfect wear characteristics - contrary to many other comments I run my 17" at a lower pressure of 32 to minimise excess wear in the centre.

Incidentally as I have my own tracking gauges I check the alignment quite regularly - in the last 35,000 miles it has not changed at all. Total mileage now 89,000. Best tyres out of Contisport 2, Pirelli PZero Rosso, Goodyear F1 and Michelin Pilot Sport 2 have been Hankook S1 Evo - for wear and handling.
George K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25th, 2007, 12:38   #29
v70 cymru

I had to renew 4 tyres, fitted Hankook @ £83 each inc VAT, balance & fitting.

front had inner edge wear = too much toe out

back had outter edge wear = too much toe in !

4 wheel alignment @£40, & 5,000 miles, even wear & fantastic cornering!
v70 cymru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1st, 2007, 20:10   #30
Bristol S60

Default Update

Hi & thanks for all the posts above.

Since my last posting, I have had another Volvo dealer have a look at the car and they also say that nothing is wrong with the steering, suspension or bushes.

Now I am completely confused as the car seems to be continually goping out of alignment. Do I just accept that I am going to go through new tyres every 12k miles adn rotate the rears to the front every time?

I think I am going to take a punt on the front bushes and replace those with new ones - so any recommendations on new Volvo 'Police' ones of Polyflex/polybushes?

Also can anyone suggest a decent independant that could fit these bushes to an S60 in the Bristol area?

On a more positive note and to be fair to MRG they have offered to pay for the new tyres on the front. I can't fault them for their service so far, they seem to be very honest and open. Also they don't seem to be that expensive, so may even use them for servicing now I am out of warranty - inless I find a good local AND CHEAPER indie of course!!!

Thanks,

James