Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Who actually makes this engine?!

Views : 7960

Replies : 61

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 16th, 2013, 17:26   #21
feltorange

I have always understood that VW Audi and Peugeot are the at the forefront of diesel technology, so using this engine design should be no disadvantage especially if it has received additional strengthening from Volvo.
feltorange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16th, 2013, 17:30   #22
feltorange

I asked a local Ford Independent garage if he wished to service my V50. He declined immediately citing software differences that made it impossible for him to diagnose. The cost of obtaining them would be too prohibitive.
Old Feb 16th, 2013, 17:34   #23
feltorange

Audis, VWs, Seats and Skodas share chassis and a myriad number of other parts, no one blinks an eyelid, yet people get sniffy about a Focus chassis on a Volvo (or a Jag for that matter). Funny that the Ford Focus always gets great reviews for being a fun car to drive. So what's the problem?
Old Feb 16th, 2013, 17:42   #24
Daim
Brit in Germany

Quote:
Originally Posted by feltorange View Post
I have always understood that VW Audi and Peugeot are the at the forefront of diesel technology, so using this engine design should be no disadvantage especially if it has received additional strengthening from Volvo.
Forefront of diesel technology is currently...

...MAZDA!

No, not kidding! The new Skyactive engines are FANTASTIC diesels! And you've got to know, I HATE diesels but the Skyactives are really really really good! Smooth, quiet, low consumption, nice revablitiy.

After Mazda you'll find BMW and Mercedes on the same space. Then you'll find PSA (and Ford as they share the engines). Renault and then Fiat. And THEN you get at the end of the list, behind DongFeng and others, Isuzu!

2010 V70 (Type 135) D5 (D5244T10) Automatic (TF-80SC)
Daim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16th, 2013, 17:45   #25
Ninja59
Probably Akita's Toyboy..

Quote:
Audis, VWs, Seats and Skodas share chassis and a myriad number of other parts, no one blinks an eyelid, yet people get sniffy about a Focus chassis on a Volvo (or a Jag for that matter). Funny that the Ford Focus always gets great reviews for being a fun car to drive. So what's the problem?
Because certain members of Volvo dislike the Ford association saying that "they killed Volvo."

Despite the fact that up to even the new V40 all the cars are still on Ford platforms - Focus one for the V40 again. I know the new scale able one is coming for those that want to bring that up but as it stands no Volvo current car is not on a Ford platform.

Engine wise Ford gave PSA the money for the 2.0D development, PSA developed it and it found it's way into numerous cars with some subtle changes for some here and there.

Some if memory serves me correctly were made by Ford, PSA and Volvo in Sweden - I doubt you can tell where they were made I have a feeling though the P1 car ones came from Ford. I just cannot see Volvo shipping 2.0D engines from Sweden for the P1 cars.
Ninja59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16th, 2013, 17:46   #26
Daim
Brit in Germany

Quote:
I see it the same. I enjoy the handling my C30 offers. No Volvo before the P1 managed to corner like the P1 (on C1 platform). It is a simple setup but then again better than the rest. It is still the benchmark for the compact class. No other manufacturer of CHEAPER compact cars (Ford, Vauxhall, VW, ...) offers independant rear suspension as a factory fitted part! VW (and others) will only fit the IRS into high powered cars or sporty vehicles.

VW argumented by saying, that it is too expensive to produce a IRS for the compact class and that only higher priced cars should have it... Odd, as the Focus isn't higher priced and runs circles around the Golf (when it comes to handling)...

Even the engines and co aren't bad. They aren't as bad as they used to be and are very reliable. The 1.0l Ecoboost is a fun engine to drive with LOADS of power. It really does deserve the "Engine of the year" award which it received...

The Following User Says Thank You to Daim For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 16th, 2013, 17:47   #27
Ninja59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daim View Post
Forefront of diesel technology is currently...

...MAZDA!

No, not kidding! The new Skyactive engines are FANTASTIC diesels! And you've got to know, I HATE diesels but the Skyactives are really really really good! Smooth, quiet, low consumption, nice revablitiy.

After Mazda you'll find BMW and Mercedes on the same space. Then you'll find PSA (and Ford as they share the engines). Renault and then Fiat. And THEN you get at the end of the list, behind DongFeng and others, Isuzu!
Turn it on it's head though Fiat lead the petrol engine development with the twin air, or could that be Ford...they seem pretty close for new tech though I think Fiat take it no camshaft baby, I think the Ford unit is just innovated the usage of X and Y.
Old Feb 16th, 2013, 17:49   #28
Daim
Brit in Germany

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninja59 View Post
Turn it on it's head though Fiat lead the petrol engine development with the twin air, or could that be Ford...they seem pretty close for new tech though I think Fiat take it no camshaft baby, I think the Ford unit is just innovated the usage of X and Y.
Indeed, Fiat does do that well. Though as said, the 1.0l Ecoboost is a great engine. I've driven the Twinair 2 cylinder turbo in a 500 and it has a great engine note... Though BMW does also lack a camshaft in some engines (and due to the lack of the camshaft, the throttlebody isn't required ).

Old Feb 16th, 2013, 18:49   #29
Zeb246

Are all Volvo engines made by the French, including D5? As I've heard/rumours Volvo engines are made by the Germans.

Last edited by Zeb246; Feb 16th, 2013 at 18:52.
Zeb246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16th, 2013, 18:59   #30
Ninja59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeb246 View Post
Are all Volvo engines made by the French, including D5? As I've heard/rumours Volvo engines are made by the Germans.
D5 I would presume made by Volvo in Sweden....
The Following User Says Thank You to Ninja59 For This Useful Post: