Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Bulb Out Warning Light When Brakes Applied??

Views : 2823

Replies : 23

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 31st, 2021, 08:10   #21
Steve 940
Premier Member

Many thanks for suggestions, I think I'll go back round the clusters again checking and recleaning contacts.
As it seems to be an area of potential trouble, i was perhaps a bit too careful trying not to disturb cables etc when I done this before.
Grim day so what better way to spend a Sunday than rummaging around inside the boot!! Plan to try a good reclean, if that fails, bulb holder swooping, and of course check all cable connections.... again :-)
Hopefully will be able to post on hear of a problem that actually has been sorted and ticked off the list!
Cheers
Steve
Steve 940 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Steve 940 For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 31st, 2021, 12:38   #22
Steve 940
Premier Member

Default Sorted !

Bulb warning light saga sorted, I hope......

Right, back to basics this morning as Laird Scooby had said I should go earlier, with large hands trying to fiddle around checking contacts with light in place, as the retaining nuts were clean, decided to pull the whole cluster.

Glad I did, as found a split in the gasket top edge as it rounds the offside corner, this had been letting in a bit of water, luckily no rust caused so seems I've caught just in time.

Whilst assembly coming off, a couple of the connectors that fix into the cluster that have spade connectors just came free from the cluster, both on the bottom tail light, brake light. Really good scrub cleaning all the contacts, slightly rebent contacts on the cluster and bulb holder to hopefully give a more positive connection. Tested without fixing it all back to the body, and Bobs your proverbial uncle, sorted and no bulb warning on dashboard.

Seems a pretty crappy pattern light has been fitted at some point in the past, as on close inspection the lamp lens body doesn't really fit well to the gasket.

Anyone know if you can get new gaskets, and a good source of new rear lights that actually fit properly??

Cheers
Steve
The Following User Says Thank You to Steve 940 For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 31st, 2021, 13:48   #23
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve 940 View Post
Bulb warning light saga sorted, I hope......

Right, back to basics this morning as Laird Scooby had said I should go earlier, with large hands trying to fiddle around checking contacts with light in place, as the retaining nuts were clean, decided to pull the whole cluster.

Glad I did, as found a split in the gasket top edge as it rounds the offside corner, this had been letting in a bit of water, luckily no rust caused so seems I've caught just in time.

Whilst assembly coming off, a couple of the connectors that fix into the cluster that have spade connectors just came free from the cluster, both on the bottom tail light, brake light. Really good scrub cleaning all the contacts, slightly rebent contacts on the cluster and bulb holder to hopefully give a more positive connection. Tested without fixing it all back to the body, and Bobs your proverbial uncle, sorted and no bulb warning on dashboard.

Seems a pretty crappy pattern light has been fitted at some point in the past, as on close inspection the lamp lens body doesn't really fit well to the gasket.

Anyone know if you can get new gaskets, and a good source of new rear lights that actually fit properly??

Cheers
Steve
What brand of aftermarket rear light was fitted?

The gaskets can be revived (unless they're absolutely shot) by a long soak in very hot water with a hefty dose of washing up liquid. Scrub them clean with a nail brush after the soak, let them dry then rub some silicone grease in all over and let it soak in for a good half hour before gently wiping off the excess. Also a thin smear of silicone grease on the mating faces of the rear lamp back and bodywork of the car will help to ensure a weter-tight seal.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 31st, 2021, 17:35   #24
Steve 940
Premier Member

Thanks Dave,

Really good suggestions, although the top of the gasket has probably 1/4" split right on the tight corner that goes towards the rear wing.

Couldn't find a brand, apart from Made In Taiwan !!!

See Brookhouse do new lamps with bulb holders and gaskets around £54 each, Parts For Volvo looking at £49 but doesn't mention about gaskets etc.

Anyone had experience with these, if they fit body properly?

If they are good copies, then probably will go for these to sort out once and for good.....
Cheers
Steve
The Following User Says Thank You to Steve 940 For This Useful Post: