Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Advice on suspension mounts/tops

Views : 3431

Replies : 61

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 27th, 2014, 17:30   #21
kevvydude
Premier Member

my v70 is,nt a turbo, dont need one, had loads of turbo cars, i,ve got my motor bike if i want to go fast, being in my low 50,s i like chilled but comfy driving,

ʎɐqǝ uo pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ɐ ʎnq ı ǝɯıʇ ʇsɐן ǝɥʇ sı sıɥʇ
kevvydude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 27th, 2014, 17:33   #22
kevvydude
Premier Member

have you seen these , if you want to go the whole hog what abt these, http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TA-TECHNIX...item51ab21040b at least you will be able to get it right first time, and go as low as you want.

The Following User Says Thank You to kevvydude For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 27th, 2014, 19:21   #23
Jp003
JP

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevvydude View Post
have you seen these , if you want to go the whole hog what abt these, http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TA-TECHNIX...item51ab21040b at least you will be able to get it right first time, and go as low as you want.
According to the parts checker, which isn't that accurate anyway! That suspension on the link doesn't fit my car!!! I will have to give them a call and see what they have got, Thanks for that Kevvydude.

At that price its go to be worth a look into.
Jp003 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jp003 For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 27th, 2014, 19:26   #24
Jonathan_angelo
Jono

Can i ask why so many people on the forum have recommended changing the springs/suspension components to XC90 ones?
Im taking my S60 in on Wednesday to have the top mounts and all the bushes checked, because the ride is hard as hell and getting on my man boobs (quite literally) and its creaking like an old house.
Would people recommend genuine Volvo parts for this if stuff needs replacing or is aftermarket ok? And if AM is ok, which brand is preferred?

Thanks Jono
Old Apr 27th, 2014, 19:40   #25
kevvydude
Premier Member

hi jono, its up to you ,but the xc90 ones are better so will last longer, think of it as a upgrade , but should,nt make yours a firm ride, if anything it would be handling pants, are you sure your bottom arm bushes are,nt naff, ??? i cant comment on after market parts on suspension as id only use volvo parts

Last edited by kevvydude; Apr 27th, 2014 at 19:42.
Old Apr 27th, 2014, 20:21   #26
Jp003
JP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan_angelo View Post
Can i ask why so many people on the forum have recommended changing the springs/suspension components to XC90 ones?
Im taking my S60 in on Wednesday to have the top mounts and all the bushes checked, because the ride is hard as hell and getting on my man boobs (quite literally) and its creaking like an old house.
Would people recommend genuine Volvo parts for this if stuff needs replacing or is aftermarket ok? And if AM is ok, which brand is preferred?

Thanks Jono
From what I have seen the front rubber mounts are exactly the same on my C70 to the XC90 on Parts for Volvo, Exactly the same price too.

I crossed it with C70 2000 and XC90 2014 and its the same part on their site.

Think if you order the XC90 2014 version it will be the most up to date and is supplied for most Volvo's
The Following User Says Thank You to Jp003 For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 27th, 2014, 20:30   #27
kevvydude
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jp003 View Post
According to the parts checker, which isn't that accurate anyway! That suspension on the link doesn't fit my car!!! I will have to give them a call and see what they have got, Thanks for that Kevvydude.

At that price its go to be worth a look into.
well i done a bit of reserch and those should fit your car,as you say better off ringing them, but cant see why they wont fit tho m8 .

The Following User Says Thank You to kevvydude For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 27th, 2014, 20:31   #28
kevvydude
Premier Member

ave a look on link http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TA-TECHNIX...item51aad89357

Old Apr 27th, 2014, 20:42   #29
Jp003
JP

Quote:
hi jp, right putting a link on for you ,ave a look ,its all volvo stuff, a bit cheaper than most volvo dealers, http://www.partsforvolvosonline.com/...17ca44045b3be6
I did a bit of research into the coil overs in the link above.

I looked for some reviews and have heard that the new springs supplied may be incorrect and the older springs would be needed! This put me off a bit.

Also there is a chance that the mounts wont be suitable for the coil overs.

Also I think if I go for adjustable ride height then I will def want the damping adjustable too so suit the road surface.

All in all with the insurance and condition of the roads I think the coil overs will be harder to install and be a pain in the bum to get right for the variant road surfaces in UK. If I was able to get on a track I think this setup would be perfect to go from track to road. Unfortunately at the minute its just normal road driving for me so I'm going to stick to a lowering spring and sports setup for a more all round setup.

Does anyone have a Volvo sports setup on an older car or C70 2000-2001 2.3T5 would be even better??? What's your verdict on the Volvo sports setup or should I spend a bit more and go for Bilstein B6 shockers and buy some lowering springs.

My worry is using lowering springs will make the car too low. The front splitter gets caught on some curb's when I park up now and I have to manually lift and push to avoid ripping the lower bumper off!

We also have lots of speed humps or small ones which your wheels go either side of and you get a big mound of tarmac running straight down the centre of your car which are a pain in the if your car is too low! I remember having a lowered MKii Golf GTi which always just caught one of these small speed humps every time I went over it, must have been just that bit higher than the others!!!

You have made my head hurt Kevvydude with the coil overs option. One day I would like to put her on a track but for now I think ill keep it real and at the minute I'm swayed towards the Volvo Sports equipment and that's just from past experience on sticking to Volvo parts. The way I look at it is Volvo must have spent a lot of time and money getting a sports setup that suits the car they manufacture and tested it well.

Question is what do you guys think?
Old Apr 27th, 2014, 20:54   #30
Jonathan_angelo
Jono

Quote:
hi jono, its up to you ,but the xc90 ones are better so will last longer, think of it as a upgrade , but should,nt make yours a firm ride, if anything it would be handling pants, are you sure your bottom arm bushes are,nt naff, ??? i cant comment on after market parts on suspension as id only use volvo parts
Better so as to cope with the extra weight i assume? Its interesting that many parts are inter-changeable!
I think i'll go genuine tbh. The car only has genuine parts on it so seems silly to compromise for the sake of a few quid.

Not sure about bottom arm bushes. It passed a recent MOT with no advisories, but that doesn't really mean anything.

Going over even the slightest bump in the road is very harsh. There doesn't seem to be any absorption at all. I run the tyres at 36PSI as specified. I just cant put up with the harshness anymore. If i can't rectify it, im going to change the car.