Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Non starter code 121 mass air flow?

Views : 2350

Replies : 47

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 18th, 2020, 18:25   #21
Laney760
VOC Member

Smile

Sorted! Home and dry with correct diagnosis! The RAC guy this morning was insistent that my HT leads were ok when I was suspicious of one of them. RAC guy this afternoon was fantastic, it was the HT lead from the distributor to the coil, arcing against the block. All taped up and secure now and no longer arcing and I will order a new set of leads! Now I can crawl into my own sickbed.

Thanks for all your help!

Current '96 945 2.3 lpt - Aurigas, tailgate spoiler, sports grille, lpg fuelled
Previous '88 764 TD, '92 945 TD, '88 745, '81 244 DL
Laney760 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Laney760 For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 18th, 2020, 18:46   #22
TonyS9
Premier Member

Awesome, I was going to say the rpm flicker during no start is an indication of spark to the point of the coil. It can't determine if the spark is going somewhere other than plugs.

Viewing engine during the dark is good way of checking for HT leaks, but you need to get the drls off somehow.
TonyS9 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to TonyS9 For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 18th, 2020, 19:06   #23
Laney760
VOC Member

Thanks for that advice Tony.

She is going in for high end discs, MOT, and a few other jobs in a couple of weeks time before I go on holiday so I am going to ask my mechanic to check the distributor, distributor cap, renew rotor arm, renew HT leads, etc. This is one area of my engine thats been quite neglected to be honest!

Once again, thanks to everyone!

The Following User Says Thank You to Laney760 For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 18th, 2020, 20:44   #24
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laney760 View Post
Sorted! Home and dry with correct diagnosis! The RAC guy this morning was insistent that my HT leads were ok when I was suspicious of one of them. RAC guy this afternoon was fantastic, it was the HT lead from the distributor to the coil, arcing against the block. All taped up and secure now and no longer arcing and I will order a new set of leads! Now I can crawl into my own sickbed.

Thanks for all your help!
Go for Bougicord leads Ellie, they'll last longer and be more reliable.

Regarding your other comment about the ignition system in general not getting as much attention as the rest, with LPG you really need to swing the balance a bit as any ignition faults will show up quicker.

Anyway, glad the correct diagnosis has been done and you can finally relax in bed and recuperate!

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 19th, 2020, 16:00   #25
mjk164
VOC Member

Ellie, when you look at the distributer cap, also look inside at the 4 copper contact points that the rotor passes. After a time they will grow a light brown "crust" which simply gives further resistance for the arc to negotiate. Take a penknife and gently stroke the blade at each contact and you will see the "crust" flake off leaving clean copper. I guarantee your starting will improve!
But don't forget to also renew and/or check the RSR.
Cheers.
mjk164 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mjk164 For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 19th, 2020, 21:35   #26
Laney760
VOC Member

Back for more ignition system advice please.

So, this morning my plan was to book the car in as soon as I could before MOT for a new MOT which makes September 14th earliest I don't lose any of the current MOT and get new discs fitted and ignition system all checked out and renewed as necessary. I want to get all the work done at once to save having to go to work on shank's pony any more that is necessary because it means getting up at 4.30am and getting home at 7.30pm!

No problems starting or running today, she's not 'missing', BUT the power is clearly down a bit, never felt her like this before. Confirmed on an overtake where she didn't fly in 3rd gear. I wondered if my spark is weak and if this causes low engine power and I took a look on the net and saw that I am right. So I have just been outside in the pitch black to see if I could see any further arcing and I spotted something interesting. Inside the area I have rung around on the photo I can see something orange rotating, my rotor arm? It looks as if this area of the distributor is so worn away that I can see the rotor arm rotating inside, I don't think I should be able to, this must mean that damp is getting in? Am I right? If I am right I wonder if I should wait until Sept 14th for an overhaul of the distributor, cap, leads etc, especially in view of the current weather?!

[IMG]DSC00735distributor by Strider'swoman, on Flickr[/IMG]

Old Aug 19th, 2020, 23:50   #27
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Enlarging the photo doesn't reveal any holes but it looks like your dizzy cap is generally dirty under its cover Ellie.

Given it's been pretty damp today, that means the dampness/humidity and the dirt can provide the means for the HT to "track" to earth. This will give quite a nice light show that in certain circumstances can appear to be rotating because it's following the source of HT which is the rotor arm that is of course rotating.

I'd suggest getting a new rotor arm and dizzy cap ASAP and HT lead set (all 5 leads) and fitting them. It sounds very much like you've had a latent problem for some time and the recent damp weather has brought it into the open.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Old Aug 20th, 2020, 06:24   #28
Laney760
VOC Member

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
Enlarging the photo doesn't reveal any holes but it looks like your dizzy cap is generally dirty under its cover Ellie.

Given it's been pretty damp today, that means the dampness/humidity and the dirt can provide the means for the HT to "track" to earth. This will give quite a nice light show that in certain circumstances can appear to be rotating because it's following the source of HT which is the rotor arm that is of course rotating.

I'd suggest getting a new rotor arm and dizzy cap ASAP and HT lead set (all 5 leads) and fitting them. It sounds very much like you've had a latent problem for some time and the recent damp weather has brought it into the open.
So I should be able to see the rotor arm turning from outside the dizzy? That is a hole that I have circled in pen, there is a round gap which has very irregular sides. I'll order up the parts and get the car booked in. Cheers Dave.

Old Aug 20th, 2020, 08:17   #29
loki_the_glt
Torquemeister

It also appears that the cover for the dizzy cap is either not seated properly or is damaged, as it should offer a degree of protection to the cap.

loki_the_glt is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to loki_the_glt For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 20th, 2020, 09:57   #30
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laney760 View Post
So I should be able to see the rotor arm turning from outside the dizzy? That is a hole that I have circled in pen, there is a round gap which has very irregular sides. I'll order up the parts and get the car booked in. Cheers Dave.
You definitely shouldn't be able to see the actual rotor arm Ellie.

In the area you've circled, there is (if memory serves correctly) a locating lug recess in the dizzy cap. Inside the cap at the "base" of the cap should be a flash-over guard, usually a clear (ish) disc that fits onto the dizzy before the rotor arm and cap.

If it is tracking/arcing inside the cap, it's highly possible the resultant light show is showing the shadow of the rotor arm as it turns and will most likely appear orange because weak sparks are generally orangey-yellow so it could be the integrity of the cap is physically ok but optically letting you see things you shouldn't normally be able to.

It could be the cap is damaged and there is a definite hole there that can't be seen properly in the photo. It's a shame you didn't get a video of exactly what you saw, if you put the camera into "Night Mode" that usually works and may give more of a clue.

Either way good plan of action to order the parts and get it booked in!