Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 200 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

200 Series General Forum for the Volvo 240 and 260 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

What other "how to" articles would you like

Views : 5096

Replies : 62

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 5th, 2008, 21:50   #21
Mike_Brace
Former contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by RealEstate View Post
Mike,
Your 'how to' posts are great - very useful.
I'm wondering if there's scope for structuring your posts like the 700/900 FAQ? So your posts can serve as a companion volume or even be x-ref'd. There's alot of useful material in the FAQ but maybe you can suggest different/better ways of doing things? I'm not sure how actively the 700/900 FAQ is being maintained?
Thanks for all your hard work.
Ben

I am gradually sorting out items - either based on jobs that we have on hand and some like one I'm just about to do one changing air filters are just mocked up for picture by going to a suitable car or part of dismantled car that will enable me to do a write up. It's all a question of time - I've spent the past two evenings virtually solid on writing an article about lpg to give everyone some idea of the history of lpg fuelled vehicles and the types of systems and how it all works. I've still got to edit it and secide whether any pictures are needed.
My intention is to, whenever possible, add a "how to" onto the sub forum that Bob has kindly added for us. So keep your eyes on it. This will also provide a useful source for reference and they are also being put in the articles section. It is aimed mainly as a how to fix or service something rather than a diagnostics although I will try to illustrate and explaining what is wrong with something and how to fix where appropriate. I hope that just a search through the articles section will provide what ios needed - maybe if I manage to do enough we can persuade Bob to sort them out in some way. I'm hoping eventually to provide a photo/written guide to most work people are likely to need to do on their 240s. Let's see how it all goes. I just hope I get time to do all that's needed.

Mike

Mike_Brace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5th, 2008, 22:00   #22
John Tancredi
240inNZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_Brace View Post
I've spent the past two evenings virtually solid on writing an article about lpg to give everyone some idea of the history of lpg fuelled vehicles and the types of systems and how it all works. Mike
I wonder if there are any New Year's Honours for services to Volvo Forum Members...?!
Old Jan 6th, 2008, 13:12   #23
noway boxy

Smile

Thanks Mike for sharing your valuable knowledge of 240s - you are an absolute legend.

I find that the 240 has its own set of foibles like fuel pump relay failure, flame trap maintenance etc so any info on these is very welcome.

Throttle body maintenance is something that I am yet to successfully undertake and generally getting a smooth idle happening.

Also living in Australia I have been waging a running battle with the air con sytem and people who never seem to fix it properly - ie I get it regassed only to have it leak and fail within days.

I am looking soon to pull the dash apart and locate and replace the air con hoses etc that lie behind the dash. So some treatment of this task and air con fault finding in general would be useful... at some future point.

Also it appears that my power steering pump may have just packed it in - as i had the rack replaced a few years back and so should still be OK.. plus both fluid level and the drive belt seem fine.

Keep up the great work Mike.

cheers
Mark

1985 240GL sedan B230E
noway boxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6th, 2008, 16:33   #24
Paul240480
Ovlovnut

Hi Mike. Brilliant idea! I'm sure that your future 'how to' posts will be as invaluable as the previous ones. Something for everyone as they say!

From my point the following would be of interest. Given time, of course! -(some maybe already available on the site) :

Cam Belt change.

Renewing brake fluid & bleeding brakes.

Renewing Clutch fluid & bleeding (not sure if you have to bleed the clutch)

Power steering Drain/refill.

In tank fuel pump repair / replacement - due to the all too common buzzing pump.

Also, On a service I'm sure that various bolts are lossened then re-tightened to the correct torque. I'm sure if we knew which ones to do we could solve many a 'rattle & bang' on the rougher roads.

I don't know how you wll find the time, but go and sit down and have a cuppa before you start to regret starting the thread! LOL

Cheers
http://moncopainmonchien.jimdo.com/
Paul240480 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6th, 2008, 18:29   #25
Mike_Brace
Former contributor

Yes, I am beginning to wonder what I've let mysself in for - my son wass doing some work on the rear suspension on his partner's car this afternoon so ended up outside helping him and taking photos instead of putting up plasterboard!
I will try and make a list of all the requests and try and cover these as soon as practical.
I'll try and cover more a less anything that any of us do where possible - even if it is only a few minute job. Hopefully we can build up a valuable reference from all the "how to" articles.

Mike

Old Jan 6th, 2008, 20:45   #26
loki_the_glt
Torquemeister

Default Rear Suspension Bushes

Excellent series, Mike. I'm not going to try anything from it yet.

Although the wheel bearings need attention I've done them before on other 240s.

What might be useful is tackling the rear suspension bushes on the car?

loki_the_glt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6th, 2008, 21:05   #27
Mike_Brace
Former contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by loki_the_glt View Post
Excellent series, Mike. I'm not going to try anything from it yet.

Although the wheel bearings need attention I've done them before on other 240s.

What might be useful is tackling the rear suspension bushes on the car?
Currently underway but need a few more phots which might not be till next weekend.

Mike

Old Jan 6th, 2008, 21:21   #28
nick_ovlov
VOC20556

Lightbulb

yes mike,
excellent posts.
i have already read a few and i can say they are actually useful unlike my haynes manuals. i must say that whilst i have loads of help i have already broken a few little clips etc due to badly worded manuals. being only 16 this sort of info is invaluable to me as im learning as i restore my glt

ref to wiring looms: can i say having done a tailgate swap and two sets of looms that there are a few points i can note(you probably know these anyway) new looms are better than repairing the ones in the car as they only cost £6 each from pfv, also doing the job on side at a time i find isnt as easy as taking the whole tailgate off and laying it down on a sheet on a garage floor. also for the new looms, what i did was taped a bit of thin rope to pull it out and meant i could pull the new one back through

i would much rather be very knowledgeable on how to run and maintain my 240 than the norm with people my age: adding halfords spoilers and silly sounds systems yet they probably dont know how to do the real basics like an oil change or brake disc change

for topics one i would like to see since so many of us have the great GLT model is how to upgrage the suspension and possible how to remove bushes for polybushing (mainly as i intend to polybush my car) hopefully that would benefit others as well as me.

also a list of common 240 problems that my car has all of
eg
headlight reflector rust
broken tailgate wiring looms every 100k(already mentioned)
worn engine mounts causing engine to move a lot when bliping the throttle
seized rear brake callipers( i read somewhere you suggested second hand replacents?)
why the seatbelt warning light is temperamental

or other ideas of mine
ideas on how to hide a fancy radio or upgrade the oem one( ipersonally in my glt have gone for a newer replacement from an 850 but it looks standard.
perhaps descreet performance mods?

will try come up with more
but that will do
nick.
Old Jan 6th, 2008, 22:06   #29
Mike_Brace
Former contributor

There is an article on suspension mods in the articles section that I wrote a while back. My son is poly bushing the rear of his partner's car at this time and will be documenting this soon.
I will try and take on board some of your requests - I know I have a pair of headlamps to fit soon so should be able to do something there.
Regards calipers - they can sometimes be freed off - if not replacement is the course - refurb if funds allow or a good s/h is ok. As you know I do mega miles with mine so I tend to go for new (usually genuine parts) or a refurb unit but there is a lot can be done when on a budget.
Radio is certainly an area worth covering - Matt has a very high power system in his car with most hidden in the boot.
I'm glad you find these helpful - i had realised that there are quite a few people here who want to learn and have little knowledge (we all have to start somewhere and like you I made mistakes - you learn by them and its those hints that are so useful and I'm trying to pass on.

Mike

Old Feb 1st, 2008, 22:25   #30
Mike_Brace
Former contributor

You will I'm sure all be glad to hear that I have some more "how to" articles under way. I responded to Paul Clark's desperation of finding someone to do his axle bushes by popping over to Brittany to do them for him. (Actually I had to go over anyway and took the opportunity to meet up with him and give a hand with his lovely 240. A great place to stay if you want to explore Brittany and not far from an excellent motor museum!) Between us we have managed to get together some good photos of the dreaded rear axle bush job along with replacing cam belt and also before going I did a quick job on mine of fitting new plugs, cap and rotor as well as an oil change. Hopefully this should cover a lot of the essentials for many people. Now need a good few hours to sort and upload photos not to mention actually doing the write up.
I hope also do have some pics and write up on the other dreaded job of the heater fairly soon as well.

Mike