Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

XC90 Day Running Lights (DRL)

Views : 12779

Replies : 35

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 4th, 2009, 11:41   #21
Clan
Experienced Member

[QUOTE=NewVolvo;526420]

I believe that some insurance ecompanies will/can make your insurance invalid if your DRL's are off as this is part of the vehicle spec when leaving the factory and by switiching them off you have altered the original spec.

QUOTE]

exactly , this and many other reasons is why volvo insurance is more reasonable than most . and Volvo dealers are obliged to point out the safety issues if they are asked to switch them off . This is another good point about volvo using software and only volvo being able to do it .. a record is kept of when and where and who did this work ... evidence in a possible future court case ... They should extend this to passenger airbag shutting off .
Old Jul 4th, 2009, 23:07   #22
Jay

By switching off the day running lights will not invalid your car insurance because it is not increasing the performance of the car or the look of the car. Better still if you request DRL is switch off at the time of ordering your car then it is definately not classed as a modification becaue it was done before it left the factory.

It is normally noted for example if you add a tow bar you are modifying the original car and you need to inform your insurance so that it is noted and can be added in case of a claim.

DRL is a standard equipment that can be deleted at the time of order for example you can remove the roof rails or model description.

I have spoken with both Volvo Insurance & More Than which is part of Royal Sun Alliance. RSA will ask you "have you done any modification that has increased the performace of your car"

Let me know names of insurance company that will invalid your policy because you have switched off the DRL via an authorised dealer.
Jay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 4th, 2009, 23:48   #23
GSMGuy
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay View Post
By switching off the day running lights will not invalid your car insurance because it is not increasing the performance of the car or the look of the car. Better still if you request DRL is switch off at the time of ordering your car then it is definately not classed as a modification becaue it was done before it left the factory.

It is normally noted for example if you add a tow bar you are modifying the original car and you need to inform your insurance so that it is noted and can be added in case of a claim.

DRL is a standard equipment that can be deleted at the time of order for example you can remove the roof rails or model description.

I have spoken with both Volvo Insurance & More Than which is part of Royal Sun Alliance. RSA will ask you "have you done any modification that has increased the performance of your car"

Let me know names of insurance company that will invalid your policy because you have switched off the DRL via an authorised dealer.
Trust me, I was a claims manager at a large insurer for several years and a branch manager for a local broker too.

ANY undisclosed mod is a reason to void the policy - And voiding is WORSE than not paying out a claim, it is as if the policy had "never been in force" with all the implications that brings - Esp where third party damage is involved, regardless of the fact that you could well end up owning a Ł30k+ pile of scrap...

I have personally voided policies for fitting SMALLER aftermarket wheels, clear rear/front lenses, bigger brakes, as well as the norns of ECU remaps, exhausts, bigger engines etc.

The T&C's on which your contract with your insurer are based, will say something along the lines of "You must disclose ANY material facts - If you are not sure if it is relevant, then you must disclose it"

Don't forget, the credit crunch is hitting the insurers too - And if they can avoid paying, they will!

Disabling a factory fitted safety device, that was used/fitted when the car was evaluated by the TRRL (sp) The ABI and/or Thatcham IS a material fact, and a modification - It WILL be looked upon poorly if you are involved in a claim - Regardless of fault...

Jay, ring your insurers and tell them you have, or are contemplating having disabled the daytime running lights on your vehicle, and ask them if it will affect your premium....

Mike

PS - The "ordering it with them off" is still covered, as the insurers will ask if the car is "Std UK RHD Spec" which, it actually isn't...

Last edited by GSMGuy; Jul 4th, 2009 at 23:52.
GSMGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GSMGuy For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 5th, 2009, 05:22   #24
ChrisE
Volvo Owner Since 1990

You could try something like these to replace those 501's.

Just googled so no recommendation.

http://www.hq-auto-lighting.co.uk/50...ulbs-2pcs-set/
ChrisE is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ChrisE For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 5th, 2009, 08:03   #25
Clan
Experienced Member

[QUOTE=Jay;527260]By switching off the day running lights will not invalid your car insurance because it is not increasing the performance of the car or the look of the car. Better still if you request DRL is switch off at the time of ordering your car then it is definately not classed as a modification becaue it was done before it left the factory.

Its nothing to do with performance its to do with safety and avoiding accidents hence insurance claims , you are making your car less visable by turning them off !

No , you cannot order a volvo without day running lights , it is part of the homologation for UK specification volvos , Dealers are specificaly told to deliver ALL volvos new and used with Running lights ON

QUOTE]
Old Jul 5th, 2009, 21:22   #26
NewVolvo
VOC Member

Just as a note, when I got my XC60 I was asked by Direct Line the following question....

"have you altered the manufacuring specification in any way".

I personally would think this covers any alterations, ie wheels, brakes, performance upgrades/downgrades (as mentioned by GSMGuy) + LIGHTS.

You are switching the factory spec lights off..... you are less visible during the day!!

How can this be so difficult to see/understand?
1987 780 Bertone
Lots of previous Volvo's
NewVolvo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to NewVolvo For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 6th, 2009, 10:58   #27
Jay

Chaps

Thank you all for your valuable comments and concern.

I spoke with Volvo Insurance again which is underwriter by Royal Sun Alliance – they have confirmed to me that disabling the day running lights will not invalid the policy or affect the premium in anyway. The advisor recommended when taking out the policy you mention about disabling the day running no difference to adding a tow bar to your car. It is noted so that in case of a claim they know what was a specific addition or deletion to your car.

Plus there is no added benefit to the premium with the day running lights switched on because it comes as standard and is factored into the premium although disabling will not increase the premium even though it is a safety feature you have removed.

Day running lights is not classed as a modification. According to Royal Sun Alliance advisor modification is described as 1) chip to improve the car performance 2) bucket seats 3) alloys wheel.

I think it is the smaller insurance companies although underwritten by larger players that are trying to survive and look for any excuse not to pay out or charge an admin fee !! I remember in my student days the high street insurance shops before the boom of the big players will charge for making a small change to your policy, or change of address etc and now most big players the likes of RAC Insurance, More Than, Halifax etc can absorb these types of cost.

Please let me know names of specific insurance companies that will penalise you for switching off the day running lights. I will be very surprised if they are the big players.
Old Jul 6th, 2009, 12:30   #28
GSMGuy
Master Member

Just to prove my point...

Phoned direct line and asked for a quote... When asked the question about mods, I said "Yes, I have had the factory fitted daytime running lights disabled" She took a little more info, and then referred to an underwriter... She returned with "Sorry we are unable to offer cover due to the modification"

Anyone else care to try?

Jay - I presume you spoke to a "sales advisor" and not an underwriter or claims handler? In which case, I would specifically ask for the policy schedule to be endorsed with details of the mod.

Mike

Edit
Indeed, have just followed this up with a call to Volvo Cars UK Customer Service (NOT a dealer) She put me on hold whilst she checked with vehicle supply and confirmed that Volvo UK WILL NOT supply a vehicle to a dealer with the DRL's turned off - If that dealer subsequently disables them, they are liable for any issues or problems caused - VCUK have strict guidelines on this, and as said previously, this is why an approved used Volvo will (or should) ALWAYS be supplied with the DRL's active....

Don't want to sound pedantic, but I knew I was correct.

Mike

Last edited by GSMGuy; Jul 6th, 2009 at 12:31. Reason: Volvo call
Old Jul 6th, 2009, 13:01   #29
Jay

I also just got off the phone with Direct Line - lights are not classed as modification and it is not on the list. (spoliers, body kits is a modification).

I am getting really confused. If you can get the name of the underwriter so i can speak with them please.
Old Jul 6th, 2009, 13:54   #30
GSMGuy
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay View Post
I also just got off the phone with Direct Line - lights are not classed as modification and it is not on the list. (spoliers, body kits is a modification).

I am getting really confused. If you can get the name of the underwriter so i can speak with them please.
She (the sales girl) didn't give it - I would be more concerned TBH with VCUK's response, as if the dealer has said ok, it is against what VCUK policy...

VCUK - Ask for cust service 01628 477977

Mike

Last edited by GSMGuy; Jul 6th, 2009 at 14:25.