Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

external air temperature

Views : 6517

Replies : 55

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 11th, 2008, 22:47   #21
Milton Keynes

Question

Mine is a 2004 car, but is registered in december so I guess could possibly be a 2005 model?

My dealer have never contacted me about a recall. Do you think they may do the work for free if I contact them?

It is out of warranty and I went to a local independent for my last service.
The car has done nearly 80k now.
Milton Keynes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26th, 2009, 17:13   #22
Milton Keynes

Question Still going

Sorry to drag this one back up again but I finally got sick of the steamy windows so decided to get a quote for the work from my local dealer.

However, they assured me that the temperature sensor problem is nothing to do with the door connectors and is most likely to be down to the sensor itself.

Can anyone confirm whether or not this is true as I don't want to pay for the work and then still have the same problem. So far I have put off getting this fixed for months as I thought I was looking at three hours labour, but have just been quoted £120 to get it fixed which sounds far better.

Has anyone actually had this problem fixed?
Old Jan 26th, 2009, 22:55   #23
badradar

Not that its really of help but I had similar problem and they replaced sensor but still headed south occasionally and my record was starting at -18 and then stopping at -40 with the climate control reacting as you would expect!
So I guess this bears out the wiring problem.
badradar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27th, 2009, 06:40   #24
MavUK

The climate control reacted to the external air temperature? Surely that works from the sensors in various places inside the car?

Mine used to head south (started at -15 and slowly rose) until the garage did a software update under gurantee. Now it (touch wood) works fine. The climate never went haywire with it though...
MavUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27th, 2009, 08:55   #25
badradar

I guess as its one of the sensors that contributes and as it went so extreme it would slew the 'feels like' temperature that the climate control is supposed to create. So perhaps haywire is not the correct definition just that it was trying to react but is a good description for how it feels!

Of track but is it just me who doesn't believe the air quality sensor works as advertised i.e. shuts external vents when 'bad' air detected... never seems to react and I override the A and put it to M (or overtake the lorry!!)
Old Jan 27th, 2009, 10:02   #26
MavUK

Sorry... Mine sits on A all the time, and I almost never smell anything bad from outside the car...

Alsmost...
MavUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27th, 2009, 11:35   #27
badradar

Maybe just me - this is the second car that I have noticed this. I normally leave it all on Auto successfully.
Old Jan 27th, 2009, 16:47   #28
Milton Keynes

Climate control has the same problem for me (i.e. tries to over compensate for external temp reading -17). Therefore I find myself driving to work every day in a sauna.

The fact that your new sensor didn't rectify the problem does concern me that I could be spending money where I don't need to.

I guarantee it won't be playing up the day I take it in to be fixed and so won't know whether or not it's fixed until it happens again two days later.
Old Jan 27th, 2009, 17:13   #29
Nunfa1

Hi there. I had the same problem, outside temp hitting -40 and air con trying to compensate. I read a similar posting to this one which pointed at the electrical connections between the doors and the body. It seems Volvo may know about this as some postings mentioned having the connector replaced under warrrenty for gold plated ones. I tried to get the connector apart with the intention of cleaning up the contacts but couldn't manage it, however since I tried it the problem has gone away. I would not pay to have the sensor repalced just yet but fiddle with the connectors first. I would think a sensor would either work or not and wouldn't expect variable readings. If you can get the connectors apart try spraying them with electrical contact cleaner, and post back to let me know how you did please as I have tried and failed!
Nunfa1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Nunfa1 For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 27th, 2009, 20:34   #30
Solarin

I was initially doubtful that the air quality sensor was working as advertised.

One day stuck in stationary traffic on the M25 I opened the sunroof, and the difference in air quality was immediately apparent as my interior was drenched in fumes! Not recommended
Solarin is offline   Reply With Quote