Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > Performance Volvo Cars
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Performance Volvo Cars A forum for those interested in any Volvo performance car from any era, FWD, RWD and AWD!

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

ECU Remapping - for an 850 T5 - what options?

Views : 11415

Replies : 30

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 9th, 2008, 22:43   #21
itguy

Does anyone have any video of a MTE mapped (and otherwise standard) 850 T5?

Would be interested to see roughly what kind of 'visual' speed increase is attained. This is unless there is someone in Leicestershire who can show me their MTE mapped car
itguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9th, 2008, 23:03   #22
ovlov25
Premier Member

This is all i can find on youtube. A Rica car.

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

A properly setup camera and some decent vids would be good.

I ain't gonna risk my licence tho...
Old Jan 9th, 2008, 23:40   #23
John_C
Allons-y!

ovlov25 that makes sense ref the car needing work before it was mapped, there is definitely something wrong there.

As for the video of the RICA'd car, why the hell do people risk their lives and other peoples lives to record videos like that, bloody morons. That said it doesn't look quite right to me. It could just be differences between cars I guess but it seems too slow to put the speed on and the boost gauge doesn't seem high enough although that could just be a variation in the gauges between cars as they are notoriously variable.

Edit: Ahhhh, just seen the heading on the film, that's a RICA 280 (so god knows what the power actually is, 240, 250?) on an auto car so that could be right for that combination and no point in comparing it with my car as that's a 304'd manual.

Cheers,
John

Last edited by John_C; Jan 9th, 2008 at 23:42. Reason: "Doh!" moment
John_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10th, 2008, 03:07   #24
Nuisance
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by itguy View Post

If that's the case, is anything more known about the MTE map - like does it retain the knock sensing and overboost protection etc? (Albeit raised threshold on the overboost I would assume). Do they remap all cellsites in the map or just the higher boost ones and do they remap the ignition too or leave that to the knock sensors?

Also - what boost pressure does the MTE run?

Anyone got any views on fuel consumption MTE vs Stock, if not driven flat out all the time (where obviously it would be worse).

98 ron fuel I presume also for the MTE - as it will be raising the boost pressure....
I think the comments that many people have made on my car really sum it up.

The common quote is that it doesn't run like a re-mapped car, it runs like a standard car, but just MORE! it retains all the refinement of the car, but becomes seriously quick.

It's well known that MTE are altering and fine tuning many more perameters than the competiton. I'm told well over 100 values have been altered on later cars, as opposed to low tens on most other re-maps.

No, it doesn't rely on the knock sensors to "tune" the car, that's what the bodgers do. Mine is pushing 1.6 bar (24 psi) of boost on a standard engine, and reaching almost 500Nm of torque, when it was on the dyno det cans were used and no knock was found under full boost, if it was using the knock sensors you would hear the onset of knock. AFR's and EGT's are also kept well in check.

I have larger injectors on mine and the map was trimmed to take that into account, Even the trip computer was altered to compensate for the higher flow vs duty cycle, so my MPG would be correct.

There is no doubt that the MTE is far and away the better quality product. It really has been tuned into a very refined, driveable product. It is of similar quality to what a contracted tuning house would achieve for a manufacturers premium product, not what a "chipper" would do.

At the end of the day, you have to decide between the cheapest product, biggest power figure, or best engineered product.

To summarize:
It is a well-known fact that those people who most want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it.

To summarize the summary:
Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job.

To summarize the summary of the summary:
People are a problem.
Nuisance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10th, 2008, 07:45   #25
itguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuisance View Post
I think the comments that many people have made on my car really sum it up.

The common quote is that it doesn't run like a re-mapped car, it runs like a standard car, but just MORE! it retains all the refinement of the car, but becomes seriously quick.

It's well known that MTE are altering and fine tuning many more perameters than the competiton. I'm told well over 100 values have been altered on later cars, as opposed to low tens on most other re-maps.

No, it doesn't rely on the knock sensors to "tune" the car, that's what the bodgers do. Mine is pushing 1.6 bar (24 psi) of boost on a standard engine, and reaching almost 500Nm of torque, when it was on the dyno det cans were used and no knock was found under full boost, if it was using the knock sensors you would hear the onset of knock. AFR's and EGT's are also kept well in check.

I have larger injectors on mine and the map was trimmed to take that into account, Even the trip computer was altered to compensate for the higher flow vs duty cycle, so my MPG would be correct.

There is no doubt that the MTE is far and away the better quality product. It really has been tuned into a very refined, driveable product. It is of similar quality to what a contracted tuning house would achieve for a manufacturers premium product, not what a "chipper" would do.

At the end of the day, you have to decide between the cheapest product, biggest power figure, or best engineered product.
Very informative, thank you.

My car is standard apart from an MBC at the moment and although my front tyres are bald, I just can't get the damn power down even now as the MBC doesn't 'feed' it in at all - just whack and it's there.

From what I've heard I'll be going for MTE as it gives a smoother power delivery and a nice comfortable drive - after all, the wife and dog go in the car with me and I don't want sick in the passenger seat or the dog thrown to the back of the car whenever I accelerate!

Coming from a background of tuning my own westfield zetec megasquirt using a wideband lambda kit, (still have the innovate kit at home) I'm heartned to hear the fact that MTE map lots of cell sites and values, it sounds like they've done 'the proper job'.

I take it the MTE map is still reasonably cautious? The last thing I want to do is go melting / bending anything as the car is my daily driver
itguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10th, 2008, 11:41   #26
ovlov25
Premier Member

A T5 is too complex/expensive to try and tune on the cheap unless you know exactly what your doing.

I'll be finding out this weekend what mine is running and i'll go back to standard immediately if i have any doubts over the mapping

Just for my peace of mind i'll probably invest in a MTE which i know will be tailored to the car. I would happily have a Rica but the MTE sounds a little more progressive which i would prefer.
Old Jan 10th, 2008, 11:51   #27
stusT5
850 t5 and r owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by itguy View Post
Very informative, thank you.

My car is standard apart from an MBC at the moment and although my front tyres are bald, I just can't get the damn power down even now as the MBC doesn't 'feed' it in at all - just whack and it's there.

From what I've heard I'll be going for MTE as it gives a smoother power delivery and a nice comfortable drive - after all, the wife and dog go in the car with me and I don't want sick in the passenger seat or the dog thrown to the back of the car whenever I accelerate!

Coming from a background of tuning my own westfield zetec megasquirt using a wideband lambda kit, (still have the innovate kit at home) I'm heartned to hear the fact that MTE map lots of cell sites and values, it sounds like they've done 'the proper job'.

I take it the MTE map is still reasonably cautious? The last thing I want to do is go melting / bending anything as the car is my daily driver
The guy that tunes the mte software is from sweden and so i belive does a hell of a lot of work on volvos (don would know more) you won't have a worry bending anything as he is well aware of the cars standard ability
Old Jan 10th, 2008, 11:56   #28
Nunchukhamster
Gone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stusT5 View Post
The guy that tunes the mte software is from sweden and so i belive does a hell of a lot of work on volvos (don would know more) you won't have a worry bending anything as he is well aware of the cars standard ability
Yep, that would be Marco.

Don distirbutes the product for him in this country, and also arranges the appointments for when Marco comes over for those who want their maps customised. The initial map from Don is in effect "of-the-shelf" but of very high quality. Marco can then tailor it to a specific individuals requirements, e.g. to make best use of any additional modifications.
Old Jan 10th, 2008, 12:08   #29
ovlov25
Premier Member

That kind of service and attention to detail alone has me sold on the MTE

Just got to sort my current issues. Ho Hum, looks like a Saturday will be spent under the bonnet changing boost pipes.
Old Jan 11th, 2008, 23:22   #30
Nuisance
VOC Member

If you want it fine tuning by Marco once it's fitted it's very easy to do, and suprisingly affordable. Something neither RICA nor BSR offer. The customising is done very well indeed, you will have the opportunity to have your own input too which is something none of the others are offering.

I was very impressed with the service.

To summarize:
It is a well-known fact that those people who most want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it.

To summarize the summary:
Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job.

To summarize the summary of the summary:
People are a problem.
Nuisance is offline   Reply With Quote