Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

What do the Traders do for Us

Views : 6472

Replies : 74

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 12th, 2010, 22:46   #21
Jod T5
Phoenix from the ashes

Quote:
Originally Posted by IC View Post
There are some outstanding contributions here. Jod, you have contributed 17 of the articles!
Your too sad to have counted them Iain
Jod
Old Apr 12th, 2010, 22:49   #22
IC
S60R/V70R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jod T5 View Post
Your too sad to have counted them Iain
Jod
Not at all, if you've taken the time to write the articles it's worth couting 'em!

VOC Speed Challenge Champion 2007/08/Joint Winner 2009
Motor Sport Challenge Winner 2008/Joint Winner 2009

<font size=2><font color=RoyalBlue>
</font></font>

IC is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to IC For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 12th, 2010, 22:50   #23
AndysR
VOC Member

Quote:
Andy...
You are missing the point....This is not (currently) about the articles section "per se" but about the lack of contribution from those (WHOEVER) in the motor trade who ply thier business from the forum members into the articles section...

Jod

Jod
Obviously, so what is the proposal for rectification of this?
Old Apr 12th, 2010, 22:50   #24
st5ve
S60 R

Quote:
A gent he may be but i dont see his input in the articles section Steve which is the basis for the thread....

Please dont mistake me anyone for a side taker.....

Jod
Don't worry I don't and won't mistake you for anything other than yourself, you are correct taking sides is not what this thread is about. The mention of Don I do not deem to be taking sides, you have assumed I may be having a dig by the mere mention of his name.
st5ve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12th, 2010, 22:58   #25
Jod T5
Phoenix from the ashes

Quote:
Originally Posted by st5ve View Post
Don't worry I don't and won't mistake you for anything other than yourself, you are correct taking sides is not what this thread is about. The mention of Don I do not deem to be taking sides, you have assumed I may be having a dig by the mere mention of his name.
Hey Steve i know which camp you and Andy lie in and i respect you both for your valid and respectful opinions...

Furthermore i respect my good mate IC for the thread, which i appreciate could well be drawn into a "mechanics war" but is really an innocent investigation into why commercial traders only appear to ply for business rather than offer articles to help the less able or less informed member...

No Offence to either of you...

Jod
The Following User Says Thank You to Jod T5 For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 12th, 2010, 23:02   #26
Jod T5
Phoenix from the ashes

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndysR View Post
Obviously, so what is the proposal for rectification of this?
I think this is the purpose of the thread....
Maybe a Trader or Commercial member may like to reply...

Jod
Old Apr 12th, 2010, 23:06   #27
st5ve
S60 R

Quote:
Hey Steve i know which camp you and Andy lie in and i respect you both for your valid and respectful opinions...

Furthermore i respect my good mate IC for the thread, which i appreciate could well be drawn into a "mechanics war" but is really an innocent investigation into why commercial traders only appear to ply for business rather than offer articles to help the less able or less informed member...

Jod
No offence taken, as a moderator you need to be nuetral and non baised I understand and don't envy your role.

I don't think it is in the best interest of a trader to post how to threads as they could loose out in custom. However if a trader posted simple how to examples regarding keeping your vehicle in good working it would go some way to creating a good customer relationship.
st5ve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12th, 2010, 23:10   #28
turbo-tuner
I've Been Banned

Quote:

Jod
I believe the clue lies in the fact that they are called Traders, hence why they ply for business! Many traders probably do help members, but probably don't write articles for one (or more) of the following reasons...

a) they have no inclination to do so.
b) they probably don't have the time.
c) there are many resources already available such as the Haynes manual (accurate or not).
d) if they make a mistake, are people going to hold them liable or have a pop?
e) what would actually be considered a worthwile contribution?
f) the articles may already exist elsewhere and they haven't bothered to link to them.

Is this a valid reply as a trader?

Last edited by turbo-tuner; Apr 12th, 2010 at 23:14.
turbo-tuner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12th, 2010, 23:18   #29
AndysR
VOC Member

Quote:
No offence taken, as a moderator you need to be nuetral and non baised I understand and don't envy your role.

I don't think it is in the best interest of a trader to post how to threads as they could loose out in custom. However if a trader posted simple how to examples regarding keeping your vehicle in good working it would go some way to creating a good customer relationship.
I agree it wouldn't be in the traders best interests to post how to threads in the interest of custom.

Whilst it would be good to see simple how to examples on a more safety related theme what would the legal implications be?
If for example there was a how to on renewing brakes and the person reading wasn't competent to carry out such a job would they then be liable, as a professional body, if something went wrong based on the information provided? Or would it be similar to that of someone buying a Haynes manual and following the instructions found there? Just curious?

Jod, no offence taken nor intended.
Old Apr 12th, 2010, 23:20   #30
Jod T5
Phoenix from the ashes

Quote:
As a staff member i can moderate but do very little...I am more interested in the Admin side of Forums.. than the day to day running...

Quote:

I agree, i would not be asking a Trader to give away "Trade Secrets" but stuff like ...Head Gasket replacement or (dear i say it) bolt off bolt on wing replacement would not be encroaching into the Oracle....
This said:
I appreciate there are some areas people will want to keep quiet..For instance why would you give away in 1 second a contact it has taken you 5 years to harness....
Saying that, if you have a contact so valuable, dont be "Giving It" unless you expect to be questioned...

Jod