Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > Diesel Engines
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Diesel Engines A forum dedicated to diesel engines fitted to Volvo cars. See the first post in this forum for a list of the diesel engines.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Performance Chip

Views : 5450

Replies : 34

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 3rd, 2014, 17:38   #21
Shadeyman
VOC Member

I have a 2004 XC90 D5 SE, I also have access to VIDA/DICE which I used the other day and noticed that the gearbox module limits torque to 300nm so no matter what the engine module is remapped to(420nm for example) the auto box will limit it to 300nm.

How do remappers like "don kalmar union" get around this limitation ?
Shadeyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 3rd, 2014, 18:17   #22
younger06
Volvo Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadeyman View Post
I have a 2004 XC90 D5 SE, I also have access to VIDA/DICE which I used the other day and noticed that the gearbox module limits torque to 300nm so no matter what the engine module is remapped to(420nm for example) the auto box will limit it to 300nm.

Is your gearbox the older 5 speed box??
Old Aug 3rd, 2014, 18:51   #23
Shadeyman
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by younger06 View Post
Is your gearbox the older 5 speed box??
Yes, but I believe the 6 speed is also limited .....

Last edited by Shadeyman; Aug 3rd, 2014 at 19:03.
Old Aug 3rd, 2014, 19:20   #24
skyship007
Premier Member

Cool

Quote:

They don't, it's one of the big disadvantages of increasing engine power without upgrading the transmission system. Many seriously tuned cars suffer clutch, manual gearbox synchro or auto box solenoid failures as a result. Some of the others just burn out their turbo bearings much faster than normal because the owners fail to figure out either which oil to use or how long to use it for, although big booters take their toll, as do the non OEM air filter users.
HG failures are also popular with tuned up cars, although they occur more on the race track, as the 70mph limit in the UK does tend to limit overheating to some extent.

Some of the higher output Map mods are no good for the new MOT emsissions test, although it will be some time before all the inspectors get used to how to check and implement the new regulations.

Everyone should DYOR (Do Your Own Research)

Last edited by skyship007; Aug 3rd, 2014 at 19:22.
skyship007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 3rd, 2014, 19:32   #25
younger06
Volvo Newbie

Quote:
Yes, but I believe the 6 speed is also limited .....
I think I read somewhere that the torque limit on the 6 speed box is 440nm
Old Aug 3rd, 2014, 20:15   #26
Shadeyman
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by younger06 View Post
I think I read somewhere that the torque limit on the 6 speed box is 440nm
My car produces 340Nm as standard, later 6 speed versions produce 420Nm, I think. But both auto boxes are limited for longevity reasons, 5 speed to 300Nm and the 6 speed to 350Nm. Obviously removing this limit reduces the longevity of the auto box but how is it done?

EDIT.

06 and 07 R Owners, Please Open Your Owners Manual..
Go To Page 197
Look Under B5254T4, Torque Spec... Notice The '2' At The End Of The RPM's..
Now Look At The Bottom Of The Chart Where The '2' is...
Now Read....
'2. Automatic transmission : 350Nm at 32-100 rps, 258 ft. lbs at 1850-6000 rpms.'
I Also Work At A Volvo Repair Shop With Vida and When I Put My Vin In, Look Up Specs, It Also States The Same.
oh, and Also, When I Had IPD Stage II Softloader, It Would Not Boost Over 14 psi Until I Hit 3rd Gear.
ALL Volvo Automatic Transmissions Are Torque Limited In 1st and 2nd Gear.....So You Don't Grenade It.
So...
No Matter What You Do With Performance Mods To Your Automatic 06-07 R's, 0-60 mph time (1st and 2nd gear) Will Not Change

http://forums.swedespeed.com/showthr...torque-limiter

Last edited by Shadeyman; Aug 3rd, 2014 at 20:22.
The Following User Says Thank You to Shadeyman For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 24th, 2015, 16:43   #27
GRO76

Hi!, I just bought a 2011, S60 D5 AWD.
I learned it has around 205bhp and 420NM of torque; since i live in Chile, it's quite hard to look for a remap, since customs are very astringent on sending ECUs back and forth.

Anyone can recommend me a decent chip/piggyback that will not destroy my transmission? I'm looking for something that takes me to the 240-250bhp neighborhood, or more if anyone has tested and is happy with the results.

Thanks!

GRO.
GRO76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25th, 2015, 14:23   #28
GJB
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRO76 View Post
Hi!, I just bought a 2011, S60 D5 AWD.
I learned it has around 205bhp and 420NM of torque; since i live in Chile, it's quite hard to look for a remap, since customs are very astringent on sending ECUs back and forth.

Anyone can recommend me a decent chip/piggyback that will not destroy my transmission? I'm looking for something that takes me to the 240-250bhp neighborhood, or more if anyone has tested and is happy with the results.

Thanks!

GRO.
What about Polestar?
GJB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17th, 2015, 00:01   #29
olliehood

My work remapped there merc vito and it ruined turbo within a matter of months. New one on and it's been fine for s good few years but it doesn't half chew threw diesel.
olliehood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2015, 16:31   #30
DaveMitchell1000

Default Polestar upgrade

Hi All

Recently purchased an S80 on a 2011 plate that had the 'Polestar' remap; spoke to the indy dealer selling it & asked what it was likely to put on my insurance. He advised me this was a factory 'fit' upgrade so wouldn't incur any additional insurance premium. Not believing him I phoned my prospective insurer for this car & they confirmed if not after market ( i.e factory fit) then no increase in premium.
So today when checking some servicing history with the main dealer who supplied the car ( & since carried out all servicing) they informed me that the Polestar upgrade was done at the dealership before it was sold.
Now, does this new information mean its aftermarket or am I still safe to consider it factory fit? Dreading calling the insurance co again as they didn't seem particularly up to speed during my initial chats with them about this & dont really want an increase in the premium.

There is also no ref to the polestar on any documentation ; only way you would know its there is by driving it ( & the 'polestar' badge on the boot..........maybe I should just remove this & leave things as they are !)

Any input appreciated.

Last edited by DaveMitchell1000; May 6th, 2015 at 16:35.
DaveMitchell1000 is offline   Reply With Quote