Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > Events and Meetings
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Events and Meetings Car events and meetings for Volvo cars can be listed and discussed here.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Sunday 28th Sept 2008 12:00

Views : 5886

Replies : 69

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 26th, 2008, 22:38   #21
y2blade
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graeme Catnach View Post
I think we should - some people have already made plans/negotiated time off work to go. (and it's local for me and quite a few members)
yep it will be good to meet you guys/girls, the meet stays

thankyou

y2blade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 26th, 2008, 23:27   #22
doorman

Exclamation

Here we go again, a few days into our much loved VOC coming back on line, and we have the niggle coming back, at the end of the day, if you don't want to come, fine, but let those who want to attend do so. I'll be there, and look forward to seeing all the friendly members/non members again.
David
Old Aug 26th, 2008, 23:40   #23
y2blade
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by doorman View Post
Here we go again, a few days into our much loved VOC coming back on line, and we have the niggle coming back, at the end of the day, if you don't want to come, fine, but let those who want to attend do so. I'll be there, and look forward to seeing all the friendly members/non members again.
David
i look forward to meeting you
Old Aug 27th, 2008, 02:59   #24
IC
S60R/V70R

Quote:
Originally Posted by IC View Post
This is a ridiculous situation. I organised meets at the Crooked Billet from 2002 until last October where we had over 35 cars. There was never a problem with any dates. To advertise an event, have an enthusiastic response with people planning for that weekend and then cancel it is just ridiculous. Situations like this just create bad feeling and sends the wrong message out to people.
My above response was to a post canceling the event. I strongly believe that at this stage after people have asked for a day of work and planned in some cases to drive all the way from the midlands would not be a good thing to do. I have attended the North Weald meet in the past and would like to attend the Orwell Bridge meeting in the future. The Crooked Billet is on average a two hour 'round trip for me and the North Weald around four hours (using the M25!) there and back, so I'm afraid that the North Weald is too far away to attend on a regular basis - the majority of events in the past have been held on a Sunday because people have more time - I generally couldn't really support Saturday meets as I personally don't have the time. We mustn't forget that these Crooked Billet meets have been organised on here for a long time to a tried and tested formula.

The different forums do all support each other - it's fantastic that there are meets regularly organised by different people - I'm happy to have organised the Crooked Billet meets over the five years and thank the hundreds of people that have supported the meet over the years. It's now time for someone else to organise the meets. Y2blade you have made the right decision to keep to the advertised date and not cancel the meet. You decided the date of the meet and I wish you every success with the meet. I'm sure that future events can be arranged around the North Weald meet, however some people that support the CB support the meet because it's local - not forgetting one of the most committed CB supporters who regularly drove from near Norwich and from memory never missed a meet - Steve much respect!

Don, I understand your point about conflicts of dates as some people want to attend all the events, however in this instance it's better to stick to the advertised date of the Crooked Billet meet because of the commitment some people have already made in taking time off work and planning ahead after reading this thread.

VOC Speed Challenge Champion 2007/08/Joint Winner 2009
Motor Sport Challenge Winner 2008/Joint Winner 2009

<font size=2><font color=RoyalBlue>
</font></font>

Last edited by IC; Aug 27th, 2008 at 03:05.
IC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27th, 2008, 06:53   #25
IC
S60R/V70R

I read my last post this morning and realised that I'd missed out thanking a certain much respected medic for providing the magical cakes for everybody and driving all the way from Bristol for each meet. Ashok you have done much to help people at meets and have been an absolute ambassador for the club over the years, you are a real Volvo enthusiast who unselfish and quiet manner is an example to all of us. Don you have been an absolute rock over the years even travelling hundreds of miles to give me support at a race meeting and getting your hands dirty to keep me on the track. There have been so many people that have been quietly supporting meets giving up their spare time to sit in a car park for a few hours on a Sunday afternoon! It is people like payap, don, ste-mal, Graeme Catnatch amongst a list too long to write that represent what the club is - meets are only as good as the people that support it! LONG MAY IT CONTINUE!

VOC Speed Challenge Champion 2007/08/Joint Winner 2009
Motor Sport Challenge Winner 2008/Joint Winner 2009

<font size=2><font color=RoyalBlue>
</font></font>

IC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27th, 2008, 08:46   #26
don kalmar union
Trader

Default Cancelling meeting...

I would respectfully point out that it was not very well thought through to post up on 20th.August that you were calling a meeting at the CB when someone else had posted on 16th.August that they were organising a meeting that very same weekend on the other side of London.

Those two venues draw from the very same limited community of Volvo owners in the south east of England and I really do think that your original post was not very thoughtfull or indeed respectfull of the intention of the other meeting organiser.

Regards, Don.

MTE performance software , TME and Ferrita stainless exhausts, AP heavy duty clutch kits, KU single mass flywheels and LSDs. 01494 785508. email don@kalmar-union.com

www.kalmar-union.com
don kalmar union is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27th, 2008, 10:11   #27
y2blade
Premier Member

as i have already said.....there is/was NOTHING else in the calender that weekend when i looked...there still isnt anything else submited meet wise that weekend

if no-one uses the calender what chance is there?

http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/calendar.php

http://forums.t5d5.org/index.php?act......;m=9&y=2008
Old Sep 8th, 2008, 23:42   #28
spangoolies
Better Than Premier!

i will do my best to attend this crooked billet meet as the north weald meet is too far away from me (portsmouth) sorry don, i can see your point that some owners will want to do both and calls for a busy weekend, but i (and a lot of others) need to work saturdays so this is perfect and im sure nothing was known of the other when it was arranged. i think the north weald meet was announced a matter of hours after the crooked billet on this forum. i hope you can make the crooked billet on the sunday in addition to the north weald meet, it would be nice to meet up again.
kind regards,
ash

spangoolies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 9th, 2008, 15:33   #29
Laney760
VOC Member

I'm hoping to make it, I'm a newbie, looking forward to seeing some newer models in the flesh and some Amazons. Sorry if my pic is a bit big, lol..

Laney760 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10th, 2008, 12:25   #30
y2blade
Premier Member

i'm gutted but i realy can't make this meet now

due to this......

sorry guys was really looking farward to it but these things happen so i will be laid-up for a further 5 weeks min, then will be attending as many meets as i can fit in

please take a load of pics for me esp of the amazons

keep safe guys/girls