Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S40 / V40 '96-'04 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S40 / V40 '96-'04 General Forum for the Volvo S40 and V40 (Classic) Series from 1995-2004.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

1999 V40 Bulb Failure Light

Views : 1980

Replies : 31

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 5th, 2017, 11:16   #21
clarkey1984
Premier Member

My 99 p1 doesn't even have a remote, all I got with the car was a delightful volvo keyring and 2 chipped keys, I'd be surprised if it didn't originally have remote locking but without knowing much about how it all works I'm not sure how id be able to tell. Mine also has the added hilarity of a factory fit alarm, and if I forget to manually lock the passengers front door from the inside (I think the rod has come off) and I open the door to do it after the rest of the car is locked absolutely nothing happens, no siren, no flashing hazards, nothing.
Old Apr 6th, 2017, 08:13   #22
ww1dm1
What is this I don't even

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmurray01 View Post
I've also noticed another discrepancy between my old V40 and the new one, in the remote controls. My previous V40 had the older style remote which seemed to operate off an infrared system whereby you had to be right next to the car for it to lock/unlock, whereas the current one has a newer style remote which obviously uses RF as it works from half way down the road!!

Could that be due to the difference in trim levels though? As my last one was an XS and this is an SE, perhaps they upgraded the remote locking system for higher end models?
Do you mean an ugly square black remote with two buttons, made by TRW? If that's the case, it's a keyless system without an alarm. I have that too, and it also has **** range. It's so bad that sometimes I have to hold it next to the driver's side window. I really don't think it's infrared though, just a crap antenna or something. An upgrade is in my to do list.

My guess that the alarm system was an option back then. Never seen a keyless system on a P2, yet some P1s have an alarm.
ww1dm1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6th, 2017, 12:32   #23
loely

Default Remote door locking

I had a few remote controls from a scrap yard but never succeeded in making them work.At last I did buy a remote with 4 ch at my Chinese friends (9€ included shipping) .Went trough the schematics and found that at the VGLA (under the radio) there was place to connect the contacts from the remote.
It is at the larger (green) connector at pos A16 (BN-GR wire) and pos A18 (Y - GR). One is for locking and the other for opening the doors if you connect shortly the wire with the earth.
Now I can say that at 20m my doors lock/unlock .Now I have to look where I can make the turning lights blink,have still 2 exits not used.I now the die herds will say it is not original Volvo but for me it works and that is fine by me.
see added gif.
BTW mine is a p1.5 and I do not know if this works with the early mods but as I use the same wires as the doorkey it should work
Attached Images
File Type: gif cv.gif (10.4 KB, 7 views)

Last edited by loely; Apr 6th, 2017 at 12:41.
loely is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to loely For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 6th, 2017, 12:36   #24
loely

Default Remote door locking

twice uploaded,my mistake

Last edited by loely; Apr 6th, 2017 at 12:43.
loely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6th, 2017, 20:11   #25
Worms

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmurray01 View Post
I've also noticed another discrepancy between my old V40 and the new one, in the remote controls. My previous V40 had the older style remote which seemed to operate off an infrared system whereby you had to be right next to the car for it to lock/unlock, whereas the current one has a newer style remote which obviously uses RF as it works from half way down the road!!

Could that be due to the difference in trim levels though? As my last one was an XS and this is an SE, perhaps they upgraded the remote locking system for higher end models?
My p1 had a remote that worked at similar distances to my p2 (in both I found the distance radically improved by putting in new batteries ). There was a difference, though, in how to switch off the alarm and it's sensitivity. The older one would go off if you left it with a window open on a hot day (not immediately... it let you get about half a mile away!) while the newer one doesn't seem to.
Worms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 7th, 2017, 23:48   #26
V40T4R

Quote:
Originally Posted by ww1dm1 View Post
That could explain it, mine's a 1999 with no CEM and it won't go out until I press the pedal. There were also a couple of occasions where the light just turned on while driving for no reason and the pedal had to be pressed again.

So is there anyone with a CEMless P1 and a normally working bulb indicator?
Yes, mine works this way....
Old Apr 8th, 2017, 22:52   #27
jmurray01

Quote:
Originally Posted by ww1dm1 View Post
Do you mean an ugly square black remote with two buttons, made by TRW? If that's the case, it's a keyless system without an alarm. I have that too, and it also has **** range. It's so bad that sometimes I have to hold it next to the driver's side window. I really don't think it's infrared though, just a crap antenna or something. An upgrade is in my to do list.

My guess that the alarm system was an option back then. Never seen a keyless system on a P2, yet some P1s have an alarm.
Finally found the old remote from our previous V40, and it was indeed made by TRW.

I've just taken a picture of it and the remote from the "new" V40 side by side to show the difference.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg WP_20170408_22_39_33_Pro.jpg (212.3 KB, 5 views)
The Following User Says Thank You to jmurray01 For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 9th, 2017, 01:11   #28
V40T4R

Mine is the left one.
Old Apr 9th, 2017, 15:47   #29
jmurray01

Quote:
Originally Posted by V40T4R View Post
Mine is the left one.
I would then surmise that V40s with the older style remote also had the older style of bulb warning system, and those with the newer remote had the later bulb warning.
The Following User Says Thank You to jmurray01 For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 10th, 2017, 08:48   #30
ww1dm1
What is this I don't even

Yeah, the left one is for keyless, have that one. I don't really think it depends on the locking system, it's more likely that the pre-CEM models have the stupidly working bulb indicator and CEM models have it fixed (since the new circuit is in the CEM).
ww1dm1 is offline   Reply With Quote