Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S40 / V40 '96-'04 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S40 / V40 '96-'04 General Forum for the Volvo S40 and V40 (Classic) Series from 1995-2004.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Brake discs

Views : 1969

Replies : 28

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 25th, 2014, 08:25   #21
baldmosher
moshmobile driver

Perhaps a bit late but Volvo discs & pads all round from FRF with the discount were really really cheap when I got mine 2 years ago. Didn't see much sense in going aftermarket to save £20, but lots recommend Mintex. Also a few that don't as I recall, but they're the minority!
baldmosher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2014, 08:36   #22
GaryS40
VOC Member

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by baldmosher View Post
Perhaps a bit late but Volvo discs & pads all round from FRF with the discount were really really cheap when I got mine 2 years ago. Didn't see much sense in going aftermarket to save £20, but lots recommend Mintex. Also a few that don't as I recall, but they're the minority!
You always get 'naysayers' badmouthing every product on the market.

Some haven't even tried the goods, but just pass on bad news from someone they have heard it from.

I have used two different sets of Mintex brake parts and found them all to be of excellent quality.

I still have the old set in the garage, if anyone is interested.

Gary
Mod's so far: Orpheus alloys, 10.1" android multimedia head unit, Nappa leather rebuilt, wood trimmed m/function steering wheel, Polestar blue and black calipers, Pipe Dynamics custom turbo back stainless steel exhaust, with 200 cell sports cat, R engine and injector rail covers, tinted rear windows.
Previous cars:
1982 760 GLE saloon
1989 740 GLE estate
1991 440 S
2003 S40 S - Gone but not forgotten. ☹
16 non Volvos.
GaryS40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14th, 2014, 16:50   #23
Yorlecm
long term lurker....

Default Bump....

Soz to bump up an old[-ish] thread; My V40's rear pads were a fail at MOT a couple of months ago so the garage swapped them out [for whatever they had lying about, I suppose - I just told them to get on with it to get the MOT pass] However, the front pads were just an advisory so I asked them to leave those for the time being. Thanks to posts on here, I discovered and ordered one of the Mintex front brake box sets from ebay.

I had planned to change them myself, but tempus fugit; we're off to Brittany tomorrow on hols and I wanted it done before we went, so I got my local garage to fit pads & discs for me yesterday. Also to change all the brake fluid and change the coolant [both last done 3 years / 25K miles ago]

Obviously it is after the fact, and yes, I SHOULD really have asked beforehand, but does 2 + 1/2 hours labour seem reasonable for that lot?

In reality, it would probably have taken me all day, but then I've only done it once before and I'd be working on the road outside the house and not in a garage with the car up on a ramp and all the necessary toys readily to hand.

Its all done now, but I can't help wondered if maybe they've edged the bill up a wee bit to make up for their loss of profit by not supplying the parts as well.....?

C'est la vie
[just practicing for the next 10 days or so!]
Yorlecm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14th, 2014, 17:56   #24
timmytarmac

Yeah I always find its better to get a quote from people first but 2 hours sounds about right.
timmytarmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14th, 2014, 18:53   #25
skyship007
Premier Member

Lightbulb

If you trust your local Indy to order the right quality parts, it does make sense to let them do it. They can often get a trade discount (Not much for genuine Volvo parts in comparison with Rufe/FRF Swansea), which will keep them happy, BUT it does help if things go wrong. Using owner supplied parts invalidates the guarantee or warranty in many cases, because if the part fails, it's your problem not theirs to sort things out.

Everyone should DYOR (Do Your Own Research)
skyship007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15th, 2014, 01:25   #26
patrick264

Imo would fit genuine parts all round but then europarts have preformed ok, one day soon I think the parts might be more valuable then the whole car!
Aving said that seems like routine volvo parts are fairly competitivly priced
patrick264 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15th, 2014, 03:24   #27
Tickingcrow

Have I missed something here reading of x40's stopping on a sixpence? I've had an S40 from new (12 years ago), the brakes have always been awful. I had a 940 Turbo Estate beforehand, no issues, a 2005 V70 D5 SE, no issues and now a V60 RDesign (bloody fantastic brakes & handling). The S40 has always had Volvo discs & pads, fluid changes, flexible hose changes and always required prayers to God when braking! As it's now worthless (£175 from WBAC.com) its become a hobby car. EVO3 front callipers, EBC OE 276mm Discs to fit, Ferodo Premier pads for all 4 discs & Goodridge braided hoses are being fitted next week. Will the car not require divine intervention in future? I'll let you know.
Tickingcrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15th, 2014, 04:49   #28
cheshired5
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yorlecm View Post
Soz to bump up an old[-ish] thread; My V40's rear pads were a fail at MOT a couple of months ago so the garage swapped them out [for whatever they had lying about, I suppose - I just told them to get on with it to get the MOT pass] However, the front pads were just an advisory so I asked them to leave those for the time being. Thanks to posts on here, I discovered and ordered one of the Mintex front brake box sets from ebay.

I had planned to change them myself, but tempus fugit; we're off to Brittany tomorrow on hols and I wanted it done before we went, so I got my local garage to fit pads & discs for me yesterday. Also to change all the brake fluid and change the coolant [both last done 3 years / 25K miles ago]

Obviously it is after the fact, and yes, I SHOULD really have asked beforehand, but does 2 + 1/2 hours labour seem reasonable for that lot?

In reality, it would probably have taken me all day, but then I've only done it once before and I'd be working on the road outside the house and not in a garage with the car up on a ramp and all the necessary toys readily to hand.

Its all done now, but I can't help wondered if maybe they've edged the bill up a wee bit to make up for their loss of profit by not supplying the parts as well.....?

C'est la vie
[just practicing for the next 10 days or so!]
2 1/2 hours sounds reasonable enough.
You don't say how much that time cost you though.......
Old Aug 15th, 2014, 10:07   #29
Dancake
Premier Member

Just got my new rear discs and pads from FRF today. Great service as usual. In terms of build quality/appearance both discs and pads appear more refined than any aftermarket parts I've fitted (had Brembo and Mintex on the back previously without any issues).The original Volvo discs and pads all round work out around the same price and sometimes cheaper than Pagid/Mintex etc, hence the reason for sticking with original units.
Dancake is offline   Reply With Quote