Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Sat Nav on XC60 New.

Views : 10301

Replies : 50

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 11th, 2011, 03:26   #21
princi

We have an XC60 MY10.

Just had the first 15K service. I asked them about upgrading the SatNav software (not the maps) because we have had a number of problems with it.

They said there is no updated software available.

Voice Guidance had stopped working, so I asked them to at least fix that.

They "reloaded the Voice support" and now we have all of these extra features that weren't there before. I really should have checked the version number before taking it for service...

But can I ask whether anyone else has a later software version than 7BC6 ??
princi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13th, 2011, 23:19   #22
SteveyB

Thumbs up

I've had my XC60 for just a couple of weeks and as someone that has used SatNavs for many years the latest version, on the 7" screen I think is very good.

The voice control is useful and the TMC is good. I have found that on mine the Remote Control does cause it to crash though, but my my local dealership has found a patch for the software that should fix it. My only criticism on the current version is that there is no speed camera database (at least, that I can find)
SteveyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14th, 2011, 06:15   #23
princi

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveyB View Post
I've had my XC60 for just a couple of weeks and as someone that has used SatNavs for many years the latest version, on the 7" screen I think is very good.
Did I read somewhere that there are actually two screen sizes available? 5" and 7" - the 7" being on the really high end models?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveyB View Post
The voice control is useful and the TMC is good. I have found that on mine the Remote Control does cause it to crash though, but my my local dealership has found a patch for the software that should fix it. My only criticism on the current version is that there is no speed camera database (at least, that I can find)
Voice Control? Do you mean voice prompts?

I thought voice control, eg. tell it which street you are looking for, was not available.

Last edited by princi; Mar 14th, 2011 at 06:16. Reason: my mistake
princi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14th, 2011, 11:28   #24
MikeAP

Have I missed something here but why not simply add the Premium pack?
MikeAP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14th, 2011, 15:24   #25
Superbenj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clan View Post
DOnt forget the volvo one is also voice activated for that price ..
Have to say, having had it a few days, that it is a very cool feature too

Having read the talk re the satnav on here before I got mine, I seriously thought I may still be using my 3 year old TomTom one, having experienced the volvo unit (Sensus era), I'm giving the TomTom to my dad.

The only disadvantage is that it can take slightly longer to enter the destination, although obviously not if its a voice tagged favourite!

Overall is it worth £1,500? No chance, if you get the XC60 premium pack (UK), it works out far cheaper than that when you take the other extras you get into account too!
Superbenj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2011, 07:26   #26
tonyv
Tony

Default XC60 SatNav

Quote:
Originally Posted by wimorrison View Post
Brian,

Do not believe the naysayers about this satnav - it works very well giving full postcode search, traffic and thousands of POIs

The people who complain about it don't have it and will say that they don't have it becuase it is rubbish - strangely the people who have spec'd it and ave it think it is very good.

May be something to do with affordability rather than capability

BTW if you post this in the XC60 discussion forum you will get more responses
Brian, I cannot believe what you say about the Volvo XC60 Satnav system. I bought my XC60 in June 09 and have been immensely disappointed with it compared to the £200 TomTom system which I bought more than 5 years ago (nb. I have updated teh maps since original purchase).

My comments on the XC60 SatNav system compared to the TomTom are:
1. When driving on motorways it regularly recommends I go off slip roads and return to motorway at same entry road to junction.
2. When driving around M25 it alerts me at each junction to continue along the motorway - all I want to know is the distance to the next turning off for my selected route.
3. Irritating trying to decide whether I am entering the postcode or the town.
4. No car speed vs legal speed c/w warning when 10% overspeed - this is extremely useful on TomTom
5. Alternative routings due to delay/problems on route - tried once and never again. Most times when driving motorways I arrive at problem area to find no traffic delays.
6. TomTom routing is definitely superior, in towns, Aberdeen to London etc.

I have registered my complaints with the local garage and Volvo and no constructive feedback/assistance other than Volvo now provide you with the option of a handheld Garmin satnav system.

The funny thing is my wife refuses to use the Volvo system and uses the TomTom whenever she drives on the continent because she has no confidence in the Volvo system.

So yes I am really disappointed with the Volvo system, more so me believing it would be significantly better then a 5 year old TomTom costing less than 20% of the Volvo price. It also annoys me that one is sort of "encouraged" to buy it otherwise one ends end with a blank screen on a premium quality car!

The only positive I have to say is that I have no problems using the control toggle on the steering wheel unlike other people's reports. It does however frustrate me the entry logic between the steering wheel toggle and the remote control is not consistent.

The moral for me to the above is never to buy a manufacturer's installed GPS system again - whatever the car.

That's me finished for now and any feedback appreciated.

Tony

Last edited by tonyv; May 8th, 2011 at 07:33.
tonyv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2011, 20:21   #27
Mike 700
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tayandre View Post
I'm not dissing factory sat nav, I'm sure it works very well.

What I just don't get is how I can buy a top spec Tom Tom for 300 notes but most manufacturers want upwards of £1200 for what does the same thing (or actually less) with a few nicely moulded buttons on the dash.

The margin on these options must be enormous.
Try Elliott2 - copies from correspondence with him may help, it certainly looks good and I'm thinking of having it from him :-

‘’Hi Mike,

The system is fully touch screen and includes full Europe Tele atlas mapping and UK postcode. As you can see from the images it allows input for reversing camera and another video input.
Fully fitted price for this is ?? ( you’ll have to ask Elliott 2, however my quote is an awful a lot less than Volvo ), there may also be a charge for fuel depending on where you are based.

Hope this is what you are looking for.

Hi ,

Just a couple of questions please –

1. Is this the same, or at least similar to the system offered by Volvo, details of what it can do would be appreciated, and can it be removed and used on another Volvo in a couple or three years or so? Answer -Yes it is pretty much the same, however it is touchscreen and yes it can be removed for another vehicle.

2. Will I still have the rest of the info system shown on the screen as per a standard car ? Answer -The rest of the car stays the same, the navigation screen only shows navigation info as per the standard nav.

3. Can I plug in my mobile phone into it, and if so would it operate via the speakers? Answer -Yes it does have bluetooth, however I do not advertise it as it would not be as good as a parrot etc, so I only sell it as a navigation system, however the bluetooth will be set up to work so you can see how you get on.

4. Is there a guarantee with your system? Answer -Yes, full 2 years.

I look forward to hearing from you, and I live in Newbury. Answer - I would look at £? for fuel.’’
Mike 700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2011, 21:10   #28
Clan
Experienced Member

I doubt if Elliotts system will use the standard 5" or 7" screen in the car , it is probably a pop up screen as per older volvos which fits on top the dash , i would confirm this ...
Old May 9th, 2011, 13:46   #29
Mike 700
Premier Member

Looks just like the Volvo product with 5'' screen.
Mike 700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2011, 18:27   #30
Clan
Experienced Member

so the volvo information is shown on this new touch screen as per standard as well as the RTI maps ?