Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

She is here (pics) / XC60 vs X3

Views : 8370

Replies : 55

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 13th, 2013, 21:05   #21
S60Chris
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by XCeed View Post
That is a lovely XC60 Chris and I hope it serves you well...

Thanks for your comparisons with the X3 which particularly interested me as the X3 was my first 4x4, back in 2004. At the time, it was the subject of a lot of derision, but I always liked mine!

I moved on to Mercs before graduating to my present XC60...and I have not regretted it. Perhaps it's an age thing, but I just love the comfort and safety aspects of the XC60. I am no boy racer, but I feel the XC60 is fast enough, smooth enough and agile enough for my needs.

BMs and Mercs may be faster and more agile, but the downside is that their sportier suspension set-up means they crash along on anything other than really smooth roads. Not helpful if you have a back like mine!

The other point is that you definitely pay a big premium to drive the German marques. I am not sure I'm prepared to buy that any more as their quality control these days seems as dubious as any other makes.

Fortunately, my car is not yet two years old so I have no need to change it for at least two years. By then, the new Volvo cars/engines will be bedding in so plenty of time to assess their impact. Right now, I feel I might do well to stick with my so-far faultless five pot, but we will see!

I will have a look at the upcoming Merc GLA but it will have to be exceptional to tempt me!
Thanks for the reply. I guess your X3 would have been the old model, the E** prior to the current F25. Most people slate the old X3 like you say, but I had the opportunity to drive one of the old X3 30d's on a 57 plate and it was absolutely awesome!

I understand what you mean about the suspension - I had to specify adaptive suspension on the X3 in order to get a comfortable ride, wheras the Volvo is comfortable as standard.

The new 4 pot VEA will be more economical, produce less emissions and possibly be faster - but I am confident they won't have half the character.

Update: We've done 163 miles so far, and the XC60 is showing 39.5mpg average. Quite how accurate that is I don't know, but it's more than I thought we would see so early on.
The Following User Says Thank You to S60Chris For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 14th, 2013, 09:57   #22
Andyj007

nice posts, thank you. very informativ, honest, and unbiased...
we currently have the xc 60, and prefer the interior design styles to the bmw versions... had to luagh about the comment on the interior from the bmw forum a few post back...
interesting that a number of people commenting on the handbrake..
it is the only item we think could have been better implemented.
the position is odd, and without auto hold (without applying) detracts from the experiance a little
would take a volvo over the bmw given the choce again.

andy
Andyj007 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Andyj007 For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 15th, 2013, 16:24   #23
oldbeanracing

Talking XC60 vv BMW X3

Thanks for the extensive write up....I'v just ordered XC 60 D5 AWD lux Nav Geartronic...after 5 years with an X3 2 l M series BMW.....its been trouble free (except sensitivity to tyres) and tows trailer and racecar with ease but as I get older it has become VERY uncomfortable and 2 hours is about my limit before visit to osteopath.
The XC60 seats seemed far more comfortable during an extended test and the Volvo is less "electronic" than the new BM...which suite me.
The only problem I expect is my children will expect me to sport a flat hat,beard,sandals and swap my race trailer for a caravan !!!!!!
ONLY JOKING !
I doubt it will be as sporting to drive as the BM but I have other vehicles to take care of that urge.
All in all cant wait for its early Oct delivery in spite of the nonavailability of the 8 speed box.
Have fun NOW...
Old Sep 15th, 2013, 21:32   #24
S60Chris
Master Member

Thumbs down

What a nightmare - 200 miles on the clock and an hour into a 4 hour trip up to Northumberland for a wedding, the rear offside tyre explodes in lane 2 of the A1M at Sawtry at 70mph. A recovery truck on behalf of Volvo assist, a hairy 4 mile drive to the nearest tyre outfit in the pouring rain on the space saver spare (traction control had a field day), £159, a Toyo Proxes T1S and several hours later we arrive at the venue 15 minutes before the ceremony started still in our scruffy clothes.

It was yesterday morning I wished I had Run Flats. Also quite surprised the XC60 has no form of tyre pressure monitoring. The car remained composed and steady - so much so it took half a mile to figure out something was wrong and the excessive noise wasn't a change in road surface.

Also really could have done with our On Call subscription being activated yesterday - could have used it.

What a day.
Old Sep 15th, 2013, 21:52   #25
S60Chris
Master Member

A little photo of our 'event'
Old Sep 15th, 2013, 22:49   #26
watchboy

Absolute nightmare Chris :-(

I guess that these things do happen though....... Obviously that is of no help at all especially when you are on your way to a very special event / day.

Let's hope you don't have anymore nasty surprises.

Paul

Quote:
Originally Posted by S60Chris View Post
What a nightmare - 200 miles on the clock and an hour into a 4 hour trip up to Northumberland for a wedding, the rear offside tyre explodes in lane 2 of the A1M at Sawtry at 70mph. A recovery truck on behalf of Volvo assist, a hairy 4 mile drive to the nearest tyre outfit in the pouring rain on the space saver spare (traction control had a field day), £159, a Toyo Proxes T1S and several hours later we arrive at the venue 15 minutes before the ceremony started still in our scruffy clothes.

It was yesterday morning I wished I had Run Flats. Also quite surprised the XC60 has no form of tyre pressure monitoring. The car remained composed and steady - so much so it took half a mile to figure out something was wrong and the excessive noise wasn't a change in road surface.

Also really could have done with our On Call subscription being activated yesterday - could have used it.

What a day.
watchboy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to watchboy For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 15th, 2013, 23:48   #27
S60Chris
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by watchboy View Post
Absolute nightmare Chris :-(

I guess that these things do happen though....... Obviously that is of no help at all especially when you are on your way to a very special event / day.

Let's hope you don't have anymore nasty surprises.

Paul
Paul, thanks and yes absolutely it's just one of those things. A very emotional Mrs who thought she was going to miss her good friends special day made it all the more of a nightmare, and I think it killed her excitement over her new car for the day which was a shame. We made it to the wedding though, and that's the main thing... and may I say we made it (aside from the interlude on the hard shoulder) in supreme comfort. I could spend all day in that car. Averaged 39.7mpg according to the computer, so not bad considering the engine will still be tight.
Old Sep 16th, 2013, 01:10   #28
acb5

Sorry to hear about your troubles. I have ordered on call as well. What is the issue with it not being activated. Should it have been done by the dealer when you picked it up, just so I know from my own point of view when I pick mine up.
acb5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16th, 2013, 02:11   #29
Brodick
Master Member

What a nightmare - one of those things that can't be helped
Glad you made it to the venue.

I had a similar incident - although not on the motorway and drove on wheel with puncture for 3/4. I only knew when other cars started flashing lights at me. it is a very stable vehicle
Brodick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16th, 2013, 07:10   #30
Crockers
Premier Member

Sorry to hear your news. Could have been wlorse if you hadn'tordered the ttempa spare and just the gunk.

Glad you made it OK. Went up to London yesterday. 42 mpg until I got jammed in around Harrods. An hour in traffic and by the time we got home again the average had dropped to 37.5. Pretty good.

I love the Q assist.