Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Volvo to go all electric or hybrid

Views : 2547

Replies : 44

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 5th, 2017, 17:26   #21
Starb7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quacker View Post
In a bold move, Volvo today announce the they will stop selling petrol only models and from 2020 will only sell electric and hybrid cars.

No mention of diesel so far, but I surmise that diesel hybrids may also be the only choice.

I wonder whether this is a new beginning for Volvo or the beginning of the end. It's certainly an audacious announcement.
Don't see it as a problem, all cars will go this way (eventually), my concern is how much stowage/boot space they are likely to use up.
Starb7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 5th, 2017, 17:31   #22
steadvex
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nu11eaf View Post
Volvo tried a diesel hybrid for a while and it did not work, the diesel engine was too heavy and stunted the performance and economy of the electric drive making it useless, so they went for the petrol engine hybrid and scrapped the idea of diesel hybrid. At least that is what I read in the motoring press but we know how they get things wrong.
I think the motoring press is just pandering to the mass media of the evils of diesel at the moment, the few I've talked to who have a D6 V60 absolutely love it, I've tried one and thought it was brilliant and sorely tempted to buy one...I have driven conventional hybrids and I don't really get the point of them as diesel's generally have better MPG. I do wish they wouldn't advertise it as 155mpg, I feel they should say the normal D5 consumption plus upto 30 miles of electric range then a disclaimer saying realistically that's 20 miles.

If the diesel hybrid doesn't work why can you now order 2 versions of the V60 Hybrid in diesel?

Quote:
Originally Posted by neon View Post
I must be really thick or need to research more as I still have not seen any real benefit to hybrid on any car up to now, apart from avoiding company car tax.
Sadly I agree with the car tax thing, it seems most are designed to do the min required to get into that special tax bracket, the L200 hybrid seems like one of the most pointless cars to me, but I've had mixed reactions from people driving them, some say they are better than bread and butter, others regret the purchase pointing out the old diesel truck was much better.

As for real world benefits, Volvo's system means you can have 4wd with no sacrifice on fuel economy like mechanical 4wd systems, that's a big plus if you want a 4wd car
steadvex is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to steadvex For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 5th, 2017, 18:35   #23
neon
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starb7 View Post
Don't see it as a problem, all cars will go this way (eventually), my concern is how much stowage/boot space they are likely to use up.
I think battery technology will improve, and quicker now that electric cars are becoming more mainstream and the prize is so big.

Last edited by neon; Jul 5th, 2017 at 18:38.
neon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 5th, 2017, 20:11   #24
jmot

Be interesting to see the book value of a 17 reg D5 in 2020 V MGFV on finance deals.

There is a big storm coming with finance co's very soon...
jmot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6th, 2017, 00:14   #25
Quacker
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmot View Post
Be interesting to see the book value of a 17 reg D5 in 2020 V MGFV on finance deals.

There is a big storm coming with finance co's very soon...
Recent events will have zero effect by 2020. As always a three year old car will be lucky to exceed 50% of its initial new purchase cost.
Old Jul 6th, 2017, 06:20   #26
Baxlin
Old Rocker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starb7 View Post
For a regen, i.e. not plug in, hybrid, not a great deal, if my Lexus saloon was anything to go by. The EV batteries were in what would have been the spare wheel well, and the 12v battery was in the near side rear wing, along with the puncture re-inflater kit and the jack, the other tools being in a (very) shallow tray over the EV batteries.

We had no problems with luggage space, and didn't notice any difference from my previous car, an MB C220 saloon.

The funny thing was though, in what would be a nice touch had there been a spare wheel, also in the tool tray was a heavy plastic bag, carefully wrapped and labelled to the effect it was to put the dirty road wheel in when you used the spare, to save the boot getting dirty........
Old Jul 6th, 2017, 10:13   #27
Lexman8
Premier Member

Here's an extract from an article in today's Times (pay walled):
Hakan Samuelsson, the chief executive of Volvo Cars, said that the cost of producing diesel vehicles capable of remaining below ever-stricter pollution regulations had played a part in the company’s decision to stop developing new diesel engines. “Long term, diesel will be more and more expensive,” he said. “That is why, cost-wise, we are talking about alternatives.”

Mr Samuelsson said the decision was a U-turn for the company, which has its headquarters in Gothenburg, Sweden. “Yes, we were a sceptic [about electric cars] because of the cost of batteries and the lack of charging infrastructure. But customer demand is increasing, battery costs have come down and there has been movement on infrastructure.

“The technology is right and the price is right. This announcement marks the end of the solely combustion engine-powered car. It is a very significant decision for Volvo Cars.”

He warned, however, that Britain was not at the top of the list of the international markets that he expected to focus on, because it lacked charging-point infrastructure.
Note the text I've underlined. I wonder what that'll mean in practice? I can see how the lack of charging infrastructure might influence all-electric models but presumably mild hybrids and plug-ins wouldn't be affected.
Old Jul 6th, 2017, 11:01   #28
nu11eaf
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lexman8 View Post
Here's an extract from an article in today's Times (pay walled):
Hakan Samuelsson, the chief executive of Volvo Cars, said that the cost of producing diesel vehicles capable of remaining below ever-stricter pollution regulations had played a part in the company’s decision to stop developing new diesel engines. “Long term, diesel will be more and more expensive,” he said. “That is why, cost-wise, we are talking about alternatives.”

Mr Samuelsson said the decision was a U-turn for the company, which has its headquarters in Gothenburg, Sweden. “Yes, we were a sceptic [about electric cars] because of the cost of batteries and the lack of charging infrastructure. But customer demand is increasing, battery costs have come down and there has been movement on infrastructure.

“The technology is right and the price is right. This announcement marks the end of the solely combustion engine-powered car. It is a very significant decision for Volvo Cars.”

He warned, however, that Britain was not at the top of the list of the international markets that he expected to focus on, because it lacked charging-point infrastructure.
Note the text I've underlined. I wonder what that'll mean in practice? I can see how the lack of charging infrastructure might influence all-electric models but presumably mild hybrids and plug-ins wouldn't be affected.
In reallity it means the tech is not ready for realistic driving as the range of the batteries is still poor so you will need to stop and top up if you are going on a long trip and as we do not have the charge points these cars will be no good for uk customers.
nu11eaf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6th, 2017, 11:32   #29
Torshen

Surely one of the charge point companies must be looking at acquiring a bit of land smack-bang in the middle of England somewhere (to be convenient for lots of longer journeys) to build a whacking great car park with charge points for every space?

First company to do that's going to be quids in, aren't they?
XC90 D5 Momentum (MY18), Osmium Grey, 22" wheels, Blond nappa, Winter + HUD, Xenium, Illumination, Family, Seat Pack, 12.3" display, 230v 3-pin, Heated rear seats, Tinted, CarPlay, Side running boards, Thinkware F770 F+R
Torshen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6th, 2017, 14:28   #30
AB-UK
Premier Member

Case in point; shmbo had to take my XC 90 on a business trip to Surrey this week instead of her electric Hyundai.
This because the hotel where she was staying didn't have any charge points; those at the major company hq she was going to were out of order; and the public ones we have tried so far have been unreliable.
On her return today she will have used only one tank of diesel.
AB-UK is offline   Reply With Quote