Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > Diesel Engines
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Diesel Engines A forum dedicated to diesel engines fitted to Volvo cars. See the first post in this forum for a list of the diesel engines.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

D5 mpg claims

Views : 10747

Replies : 50

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 19th, 2011, 08:22   #21
S60D5-185
Me ? Surely Not!

Location: 2007 Volvo XC90 D5 Geartronic. South of Hadrians Wall.

Quote:
Originally Posted by outnumbered View Post
Those with a D5 who say that they only get about 38 mpg should consider looking at their driving style..

to add to that take off your roof box and all the crap on top of the car, do not eat pies,and empty the car

Pies are great! If i had not had three before meeting up yesterday Mike i would have managed 78mpg.

2007 Volvo XC90 D5 SE Geartronic
S60D5-185 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to S60D5-185 For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 19th, 2011, 09:48   #22
prionailurus
Dan

Quote:
Originally Posted by S60D5-185 View Post
Yesterday on a section of the A1M in light traffic. See Photo

I am not suggesting for one second that this is entirely normal but by the same token i was not manipulating the readout.

Realistically my 2006 S60 D5 185 6 speed manual does around 45mpg locally but mid 50's on a long run through france in the summer was effortless to attain and that was by brimming the tank not reading the computer readout.
Those with a D5 who say that they only get about 38 mpg should consider looking at their driving style.

Darryl ( Trainee Vicar )!
From this post, particularly the photo, its clear that the 6th gear on the 185 later variants, is a higher gear than 5th in the 163 models. 10% ish?? doesn't sound much but for motorway cruising its 50mpg to 55mpg..or another 80 miles per tank..?
Now a 163 engine with the M66 box, that would be ideal, remapped for economy haha!

We don't use a bit of plastic where a bit of metal can go.
Everything I write on here is mere opinion unless stated otherwise, and I'm not ranting, honest
prionailurus is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to prionailurus For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 19th, 2011, 12:21   #23
rickardrydell

I regularly get 58-60mpg from my house in Uttoxeter to York. 02 V70 D5 121K

Cruise control, 65 mph.

Will take pics next time
rickardrydell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19th, 2011, 14:42   #24
weble

Reading all this is making me glad i brought the 2.4 petrol for the low miles i do! lol

Fuel computers are always only best guess. I always work mine out when filling the tank back up. I aint had the volvo long enough yet to say but i think im getting low 30's.

Although our Honda Civic regularly hits 45-47 around town, 5-6mpg more than the book says it should do (maybe they're US figures?) and that's a 1.4 Petrol. Maybe having 147,000 miles on the clock is helping? lol

I'd like to think SAFED training has helped!
weble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20th, 2011, 20:57   #25
benson

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickardrydell View Post
I regularly get 58-60mpg from my house in Uttoxeter to York. 02 V70 D5 121K

Cruise control, 65 mph.

Will take pics next time
Pictures of the mpg display on the dash which is horrendously inaccurate?
benson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20th, 2011, 22:10   #26
michaelmckane

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by weble View Post
Reading all this is making me glad i brought the 2.4 petrol for the low miles i do! lol

Fuel computers are always only best guess. I always work mine out when filling the tank back up. I aint had the volvo long enough yet to say but i think im getting low 30's.

Although our Honda Civic regularly hits 45-47 around town, 5-6mpg more than the book says it should do (maybe they're US figures?) and that's a 1.4 Petrol. Maybe having 147,000 miles on the clock is helping? lol

I'd like to think SAFED training has helped!

i have both s80 2.4 petrol s6 2.4d s80 208000mls only ever returned 35ish m/way mid 20 in town s60 107000mls 890mls £120 @£1.39per Lt. mpg tip don,t fill to brim 35Lt less wgt more mpg
michaelmckane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21st, 2011, 09:30   #27
Pete V70

Default V70

Hi Everyone, Does anyone know how the fuel consumption is rating on the new ish V70 2.4 D5 Autos. This engine is the one that came out or rechipped during late 2009 more like 2010 and produces 205ps and has the slightly lower emmisions levels.
Ive found that the 2.4 engine has had various reprogrammed ps changes for the same lump. Not that the car dealers are up on it!!!

Im thinking of remortgaging the house to invest in a D5 205ps and saying goodbuy to my 183k milage petrol 2.5 My milage yearly is lower than before (12k ish) and do mostly urban commuting around towns driving than long motorway haulage. Thanks for replys in advance

Pete
Pete V70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27th, 2011, 18:26   #28
lyron
Premier Member

Talking

just come back from norfolk (nice and flat) brim to brim we got average 64.5.

the computer read 76.3 IF ONLY EH! the car has done less than 100k is well looked after and driven with care round localy we find it works out about 49, ish.
elldis odessey 4 berth tin tent.
lyron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27th, 2011, 18:36   #29
teefin

I have the 163 re mapped best I have ever had was 49mpg on average over the last year of owning it is showing 39.5mpg I have logged all mileage and fill to fill statistics as the onboard computer is a s accurate as I was with logarithms at school ( by the way I am not a math teacher).

I am happy with the figures based on the size of the vehicle but to be honest I don't think I will buy another volvo diesel until the sort out all the probles I am seeing in work vehicles.

Almost every V70 D5 has had a replacement engine under warranty and around 50 - 70000 miles.
Old Sep 27th, 2011, 19:08   #30
SonyVaio
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by teefin View Post
I am happy with the figures based on the size of the vehicle but to be honest I don't think I will buy another volvo diesel until the sort out all the probles I am seeing in work vehicles.
If you have a good look around at other forums etc... you will see the problems are not restricted to Volvo in any way shape or form.

It doesn't matter if you go to the VW, BMW, Vauxhall, SAAB, KIA, Pugeot or even a Landrover site. You will find all the common diesel related problems almost exactly the same:

DPF's, DMF's, Swirl Flaps, EGR Valves, Fuel pumps, leak off pipes .......

It doesn't matter if it's a diesel or petrol of course a turbo can fail on either, though there seems to be a larger portion of diesel tubo failures over petrol.

So now when you get a diesel, although you get more MPG (yes alot more) you do have to factor in over a lifetime (if you plan on keeping it) for a DPF, DMF, EGR valve and possibly even a fuel pump ££££. In the end has it really been cheaper? If you don't plan on keeping the car then of course you just run the gauntlet on the points above, you are of course covered in the waranty period but if you buy new and change early then you pay more initially and then then get double thumped buy the depreciation?? The way to do it would be to puchase nearly new and then sell after a few years before the big problems come.

Believe it or not I am a huge fan of diesels, and the T5 I have now is my first petrol in in the last 250,000 miles or so. I was a true convert when I went across to diesels and now I'm a truely converted back again.

SonyVaio is offline   Reply With Quote