Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 200 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

200 Series General Forum for the Volvo 240 and 260 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

MOT sickener

Views : 3095

Replies : 44

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 21st, 2009, 21:03   #21
Stoney Strike

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamsky01 View Post
did it realy ? yer right lol
Bizarrely, it is true! It does I freely admit sound as dodgy as a Clarkson review of the next GT 40! lol But, no it went through after being hit by a wheel nut off one of Alfred Hymas' dump trucks! I genuinely cacked me strides! I saw it hurtling (wonderfully underused word that! towards my face at 45 on the A 59! It looked massive when it hit!
The nice bloke from RAC Autoglass said it would've been over £300 for it fitting to my then 10 year old BX TD! (I.E. the death of the motor at that cash! lol)......... Cost me £30 to upgrade, only because Norwich Union altered the stats on 3rd party so no cover for loaned vehicles! The only reason I even enquired about fully comp! True!
My mate in Guiseley (near Leeds!) actually got a cheaper quote for fully comp than 3rd party on his huge old Merc 350sl!!!! W T F???????? How do they work that then?
Point remains tho', fully comp equals Glass Cover! Hurrah!
Stoney Strike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22nd, 2009, 17:37   #22
Andrew (UK)
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by migrator View Post
The area of glass coming into the MOT is not really extensive and lies to the front of the driver. Down to the left (where the tax disc is normally displayed) is not within the MOT area.
All areas swept by the wipers are included in the MOT.

See http://www.checkforchips.co.uk/?id=49

If that 40mm+ crack behind the tax disc is swept by the wipers then it's a fail.
Andrew (UK) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23rd, 2009, 08:06   #23
Clifford Pope
Not an expert but ...

But if the wipers parked a little bit higher up they might not sweep the tax disc?
Clifford Pope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26th, 2009, 14:12   #24
chesters6
Master Member

not that easy i'm afraid i asked him that
torque arm bushes done one side ,did both the unnoticed one was as bad as the noticed one ,will do the other side as they are fairly easy to do one has a mention on the advisory anyway.
had trouble i was going to do it the green book way by jacking the car up and going in sideways but we have a sloping drive so i chickened out trusting axle stands and backed the car up my wheel ramps plenty of room.the rear bolt is a bit fiddly with the wheel on but plenty of grit in the eyes and cursing gets around only having two hands
no doubt the rear trailing arm bush wont be so simple not sure what will happen when the trailing arm is removed ? will the car still sit on the ramp probably not so i guess its the axle stands ,surprised there isnt many places to put them that dont slope in some way ,off to gsf to get more bushes for the other torque arm.
mrs has just moaned about the black on her kitchen floor its the bits of burned rubber that fell out the old bushes traipsed into the house,probably a hose down of the path will put her right.
only broke one screwdriver and 3 hacksaw blades! not bad

Last edited by chesters6; Mar 26th, 2009 at 14:20.
chesters6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26th, 2009, 16:14   #25
Paul240480
Ovlovnut

Well, you're making progress, so that's good! & boy, will you be chuffed when you've cracked it

opps should'nt have mentioned 'cracked' it LOL, sorry!
http://moncopainmonchien.jimdo.com/
Paul240480 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26th, 2009, 16:34   #26
keithf
Tarmac Warrior

Location: Essex, spiritual home of the boy racer (back in blighty, hurrah!)
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by rippedoffagain View Post
Is the clutch even part of the MOT? I once had a car go through its MOT and the clutch was slipping so badly that it took me some persuasion just to get it to the garage.
I think that as it's a hydraulic clutch it is a problem (same as brakes, leaking fluid just won't do!). The condition of the clutch plate isn't important in an MOT but the operation is (it was slipping but still worked). The car you got MOT'd with a slipping clutch, was it hydraulic or cable operated? I bet it was cable operated (and there was nothing wrong with the cable).

On a different track, I took an old land rover for a test once, I was expecting a fail if only because I had only one windscreen wiper (yes it was the drivers side). The tester told me to fold the windscreen down and then he wouldn't have to test the wipers (or check the screen for cracks)!?! It passed!
It's like the old spare tyre, if it's bald it's a fail but if you havn't got one there's nothing to test so you pass (you are not legally required to carry a spare (in this country))!
You pays your money..........
Just had another thought, I think you can make an appeal to VOSA if you think you should question an MOT decision. I'm sure I heard of someone round here that got a fail for something, questioned it, appealed, and got the MOT he should have had in the first instance.

La Diablo Negra! :-1995 855 T5 (GLT Spec), manual, rica'd, green coolant filler cap!!
Women do not deserve equality, they are not equal................ they are far, far superior than us men!
I reject your reality and substitute it with my own!

Last edited by keithf; Mar 26th, 2009 at 16:46. Reason: remembered something else.
keithf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26th, 2009, 21:41   #27
honestjoe
MY 240 DRIVES ME!

As paul says ..keep going!!..keep us posted chester..cheers hj.
honestjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27th, 2009, 11:13   #28
scooters

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoney Strike View Post
Bizarrely, it is true! It does I freely admit sound as dodgy as a Clarkson review of the next GT 40! lol But, no it went through after being hit by a wheel nut off one of Alfred Hymas' dump trucks! I genuinely cacked me strides! I saw it hurtling (wonderfully underused word that! towards my face at 45 on the A 59! It looked massive when it hit!
The nice bloke from RAC Autoglass said it would've been over £300 for it fitting to my then 10 year old BX TD! (I.E. the death of the motor at that cash! lol)......... Cost me £30 to upgrade, only because Norwich Union altered the stats on 3rd party so no cover for loaned vehicles! The only reason I even enquired about fully comp! True!
My mate in Guiseley (near Leeds!) actually got a cheaper quote for fully comp than 3rd party on his huge old Merc 350sl!!!! W T F???????? How do they work that then?
Point remains tho', fully comp equals Glass Cover! Hurrah!
cunning

those BX windscreens were very expensive mind you they were huge compared to contempory cars of the time!
scooters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27th, 2009, 15:49   #29
chesters6
Master Member

thats the other two bushes on the other torque arm done ,not so easy to put the arm back in this time ,as i unbolted the nuts to remove it i felt it move! on reassembly i found one hole didnt line up correctly so a bit of levering was needed and probably four hands .interestingly one bush was welded in (couple of small tacks ) i wondered why but realised on putting the new bush in it needed less belting.so on the lookout for a replacement arm for next year ,how on earth it was noticed the bush was loose i havnt a clue its still very tight not rattling around etc
i cant do the trailing arm bush from the ramps so now i will have to use the axle stands ,my mrs wont let me dig a pit for safety
windscreen coming monday
although i begrudge forking out money for a new one 270,000 miles of use has made millions of tiny chips (only visible at night in car headlights) so probably the wipers will last longer!
no sign of a drip on the clutch slave cylinder yet it came out very easy so i replaced it !waiting for the service kit to arrive so i can show the examiner its been done ,knowing him he would fail it again

Last edited by chesters6; Mar 27th, 2009 at 16:00.
chesters6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27th, 2009, 16:07   #30
Paul240480
Ovlovnut

Thanks for the update, you'll soon have that new ticket
http://moncopainmonchien.jimdo.com/
Paul240480 is offline   Reply With Quote