Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 200 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

200 Series General Forum for the Volvo 240 and 260 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Pics of "BAY"

Views : 7327

Replies : 55

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 5th, 2012, 16:18   #21
Antz
No I'm not the redhead

now you mention the IPD suspension I think I remember seeing this car for sale a few years ago because I was yearning fro IPD parts on my old 240GL but couldnt afford the shipping charges then saw this and thought "wow its got everything I want!2 then being jealous of it. haha.

Swap a T5 motor into your RWD Volvo:The Guide
Antz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Antz For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 5th, 2012, 16:59   #22
Steve and his 244
VOC Member

Excellent car, and for your information (boring i know) those floor trays used to be mine! I bought them off ebay and scrubbed them on the patio and then treated them, all in all taking about 2 hours haha!

I traded them with ian when he came to a local meet and i noticed he had blue floor trays and black carpets, and i had blue carpets with black trays!

Steve
2003 titanium grey V70R auto
Quote:
Originally Posted by john h
That Steve is a very bad influence.
Steve and his 244 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Steve and his 244 For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 8th, 2012, 23:11   #23
t5tony

Mike, sorry to hear of the circumstances that lead you to sell the car but I'm glad to hear things have turned around for you. If I were thinking of selling 'BAY', I would certainly let you have first refusal. However, I regretted selling the last 240 GLT I owned eleven years ago so it's not something I'm planning to do. I can assure you though that I am an enthusiast and will endeavour to maintain 'BAY' to a level that will make you proud. I'm sure the current condition of the car owes a lot to your efforts in the past. Best regards, Tony
t5tony is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to t5tony For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 9th, 2012, 23:13   #24
classicswede
Trader Volvo in my veins

Great to see that BAY is still in good shape and on the forum as such.

I will metion to my dad "Mike_Brace" that the thread is here.
classicswede is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to classicswede For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 12th, 2012, 10:47   #25
Angie
Premier Member

That is such a beautiful car! I remember being given a lift a couple of times in a GLT (though I didn't know then what model it was, just that it was a Volvo) and it was sheer luxury. It was dark blue with cream leather, and still I like that colour scheme best. Anyway when we were looking for another car I asked my friend if she still had the Volvo, as she was by then driving a new car. She told me they'd sold it for £10 for scrap, as it had some rust on it. When I asked her why they didn't repair it the answer was that they 'wanted a new car'. That wouldn't have been so bad but they ended up with a Volkswagon Golf, for God's sake!! Had a lift in that too, not long after they bought it, and it was horrible!

Some people just have more money than sense.
Angie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Angie For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 15th, 2013, 21:12   #26
Velorum
VOC Member

Well, having just returned to the joys of 240 ownership following a 5 year (or is it 6?) break then what better thread to post on than this one

Good to see the old girl being so well looked after and indeed talked about!

I bought her from a chap in Leicester for £1000 as I recall. The only fault I can recall was a dent in the nearside rear wing. If you look near the rear door catch on the frame you will see an additional rubber grommet - this is where the body shop drilled a hole so that they could get at the other side of said dent. It was right on the curve of the wing and they did a splendid job - hardly noticeable.

Following this I carried out lots of expensive mods including IPD suspension lowering and tuning, R series steering wheel and other things that I will have to try and remember. Most of these were removed and the car returned to original spec by Mike (Stig) who I swapped cars with to get my LPG 240GL back - the one I had previously sold him - well, its a bit of a long story......

With the suspension tweaks and smaller R style steering wheel she was great fun to drive - if a little uncomfortable over rough surfaces. It was quite possible to keep up with more modern stuff on winding roads for instance.

My biggest **** up was removing the conventional cooling fan and fitting an electric one. This was manual and operated from a switch on the dash. Immediate overheating problems occurred - as Mike Brace said at the time, the fan I fitted was way to weak . Had I fitted an appropriate one then it would probably have been OK. Luckily no damage was caused by my buggering about!

I will have a ponder and see what else I can remember - might have some photos, I'll had a look

Good to see some familiar names still here!

Cheers
Ian
Velorum is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Velorum For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 15th, 2013, 21:25   #27
Paul240480
Ovlovnut

Come on then Ian, we need pics of your 'new' car............... Oh and welcome back of course
http://moncopainmonchien.jimdo.com/
Paul240480 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Paul240480 For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 15th, 2013, 21:38   #28
Velorum
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul240480 View Post
Come on then Ian, we need pics of your 'new' car............... Oh and welcome back of course
Thank you Paul!

After a few years of VW ownership following my excellent 740 estate I bought an S40 last year. Nice car - just didnt seem like a Volvo to me though! Was wondering when would be the right time to get back into RWD's the other week - anyway, fate took a hand when I collided with an Audi on the M3/A322 junction at Bagshot. An ebay deal followed - which meant exit the bent S40 and enter the new 240!

1990 GL auto, 120K FSH and I cant see any rust anywhere. Needs a few jobs doing but nothing major. Its now my daily driver and its great to driving one of these again - theres nothing quite like them.

Sorry - Ive taken this thread off on a bit of a tangent!

Cheers
Ian
Velorum is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Velorum For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 15th, 2013, 23:59   #29
t5tony

Hi Ian, good to hear from another former owner of "BAY" and glad to see you are back to 240 ownership!

Just by way of an update since previous posts: when I purchased the car the previous owner had fitted a Volvo swing out tow bar but no electrics and as I needed to get our daughter's MGB back from West Sussex to Chelmsford to fit a new fuel tank, I decided to do something about it. I designed a suitable bracket and had this made up by my local blacksmith and then rigged up a 12N socket through a by-pass relay and got it all working. I then borrowed a car trailer from a friend, went down to West Sussex, loaded up the MGB and towed it home - no problem! (btw, new fuel tank now fitted)

Other work carried out to "BAY" - fitted new drop links/bushes, bottom ball joints, track rod ends and adjusted the handbrake. Now need to book an MOT (runs out at the end of the month) so wish me luck! Tony
t5tony is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to t5tony For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 16th, 2013, 00:14   #30
minesa240x3
loyalty

I'm so glad your back ian and driving the best car ever.
So it is true no matter how hard you try you can never be without a volvo for long.

Nice looking car by the way.Of coarse from your previouse track record it will be even better in every way possible.
And I think BAY should be given honourary membership,It's been on here longer than most in one form or another.
Regards Brian.
minesa240x3 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to minesa240x3 For This Useful Post: