Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > Events and Meetings
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Events and Meetings Car events and meetings for Volvo cars can be listed and discussed here.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Thanks to the 'staff' on the stand at the NEC

Views : 3829

Replies : 34

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 16th, 2009, 09:41   #21
Nocomplaints1977
S40R The Yellow Peril

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Smith View Post
Thank you for saying your bit, but you seem to be trying to blame the person who was on the receiving end of this.

Ask anyone who helps run a club, I'm talking from experience, and they will tell you that there are never enough people to run things. Never enough volunteers to help. Yes they have jobs, yes they have families and commitments. But this again is not in any way relevant to the issue, and no amount of waffle can excuse rudeness.
I totally agree.
Nocomplaints1977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16th, 2009, 10:03   #22
NI_Volvo_Nut
Volvologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob View Post
Let me tell you our biggest problem, getting people to help instead of criticising. Many other clubs have lots of people who get stuck in to help instead of expecting a small number of people to do everything.

Most of us have full time jobs, families and so on, and we have a very wide range in members’ interests to try to fulfill.

You might feel better for saying your bit, now I feel better for saying my bit, and I have resisted saying it for a long time.

Bob
This is a point I raised earlier, I have only been on this forum around 1 year, I was not aware of VOC having a stand at the NEC, I would have been 1st in the que to offer any assistance required, (I'm sure you all remember Ballymena Carfest's Volvo Stand) and further more, I'm sure most of the Ireland guys would've been up for a road trip to this. But as stated above, this is nto what people are complaining about, people are complaining about the way an unknown member of the public was aledgedly(sp) spoken to by a VOC member, and I'm sure this person wouldn't make it up just for a reason to post on the VOC forum.

What's the matter with the car I'm driving?
Can't you tell that it's out of style?
Should I get a set of white wall tires?
Are you gonna cruise the miracle mile?
NI_Volvo_Nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16th, 2009, 10:46   #23
T5Andy
VOC Member

I too would have willingly attended if asked but I have never been approached and asked for assistance.

Bob, there is simply no getting away from the fact that the lady in question is owed an apology, unqualified and without reservation, the ins and outs of who was responsible is secondary to the apology for offence that has clearly been caused.
T5Andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16th, 2009, 10:50   #24
ukmastiff

My wife just called me to explain that it has been said I may have
' made this up' . Just to clarify , I know none of you I have nothing against any of you or this club. I do not hide behind forum anonymity and will be happy to introduce myself to your clubs officers or the man in question if he wants to pop to North London for a cup of tea !.

I have however been a Volvo enthusiast an owner for many years now and a car enthusiast for far longer.

Why did I post , quite simply becase someone, inadvertantly I suspect insulted my other half , myself and many other T5 owners accross the country. I had hoped that they might be directed to and read this forum and learn from the error of their ways. This was my only and entire reason for the post I made. Despite the potential for abuse to be hurled my way for speeking out ( which it hasnt been) , I am pleased that I chose to speek up for what I think is the right way of speeking to and about people.
I know this isnt life and death here which is why I didnt start writing letters, I just posted my honest opinion and no more.

This man either made an error of judgement and would put his hands up and opologise or isn't worth worrying about , he does what he chooses it matters not. There is no way he can have forgotten such a comment , unless he was using the line all day ?.

If Any official representitive of the club is remotely interested as has been suggested to me then he is most welcome to E-mail me and I will provide the time and date and who this person was with no problem whatsoever but to be honest will someone who says that to a middle aged woman with two kids really care ? I suspect not.

To all other Volvo owners I wish you the best for the future and will not be spoiling your forum with any more moaning or complaint.

regards Mas
Old Nov 16th, 2009, 11:17   #25
Bob
Club Director

Quote:
Originally Posted by T5Andy View Post
I too would have willingly attended if asked but I have never been approached and asked for assistance.

Bob, there is simply no getting away from the fact that the lady in question is owed an apology, unqualified and without reservation, the ins and outs of who was responsible is secondary to the apology for offence that has clearly been caused.
I fully agree and this will be done here an now.

As the chairman of the VOC I offer that apology and will also offer a free one year membership in way of compensation for any offence that may have occurred. I will contact the lady concerned.

Andy, we make pleas for help for various things we need to do but they are mostly not answered, and I know that a few that are answered get 'lost' sometimes in the mountain of paper and electronic replies. I am not making excuses, it just happens. I have a few ideas on how to manage these requests for the future, an idea picked up over the weekend from one of the other car clubs. It works for them so we will see if it will work for us.

Bob

1995 850 T5 auto estate. 280hp 289K miles and purrrs
2009 Jap import V70 2.5T 200hp 51K miles
Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to Bob For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 16th, 2009, 11:35   #26
Chris Smith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob View Post
I fully agree and this will be done here an now.

As the chairman of the VOC I offer that apology and will also offer a free one year membership in way of compensation for any offence that may have occurred. I will contact the lady concerned.

Andy, we make pleas for help for various things we need to do but they are mostly not answered, and I know that a few that are answered get 'lost' sometimes in the mountain of paper and electronic replies. I am not making excuses, it just happens. I have a few ideas on how to manage these requests for the future, an idea picked up over the weekend from one of the other car clubs. It works for them so we will see if it will work for us.

Bob
Thank you Bob.
Chris Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16th, 2009, 12:56   #27
RollingThunder
Grumpy Old Git

Thumbs up On the other hand...

I'd like to offer a hearty thanks to the chap who's wife owns the 262 that was displayed on the stand. Sadly I missed his name, however he was very enthusiastic about the car and the club, very affable, and it was a pleasure talking to him - in fact we were talking for so long that the rest of my party decided to leave us to it and wandered off

I'm sure the rest of the team manning the VOC stand will be quite disheartened by this discussion, and thats a shame because when I was there on Saturday, everyone was very welcoming. I never introduced myself as a forum member let alone a club member, and only mentioned that I had an 850 in passing, so as far as they were concerned I was just another body poking over the cars.

So to the members who manned the VOC stand, I for one would like to thank you for your time and hospitality.
RollingThunder is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to RollingThunder For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 16th, 2009, 13:26   #28
st5ve
S60 R

I hope both Mr and Mrs Mastiff stay with the VOC.

The VOC do run a motorsport challenge for older and newer cars for those of us who like to put our cars on the track, I have just finished my first season and met some realy nice people. I hope your experience of this chap is a one off and it does not happen again, I have found the vast majority of people here to be very helpful and it would be a shame to loose you both

Regards
Steve
st5ve is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to st5ve For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 16th, 2009, 17:44   #29
Mrsmastiffs

I haven't heard anything from Bob as yet but I have obviously just read his last response and I accept his apology.
Mrsmastiffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16th, 2009, 18:17   #30
gillberry
VOC Member

Having just read thru this post , it was initially disheartening to see the kind of snobbery that blight a lot of car clubs . Having had various classic cars over the years and been in a variety of different clubs it was hearteing on joining the voc to see that all volvos were welcomed and seeing reports on various shows it appears both our 1968 amazon and 2009 xc90 will be welcome .

All the responses so far show that a volvo as well as being a way of life is a car that is appreciated whatever age and model . Lets all hope that the rude comments made by one individual were his misplaced opinion which he should have kept to himself .

Here's to a VOC for all volvos past and present .

1968 Amazon estate (Gracie).
2003 Vauxhall astra estate (her car)
2009 XC90 (Jo) .
Not forgetting 1967 Cheltenham Nyala (caravan)
gillberry is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to gillberry For This Useful Post: