Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Xenon lights

Views : 3809

Replies : 34

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 11th, 2012, 21:51   #21
Ninja59
Probably Akita's Toyboy..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Networkguy View Post
Type approval only says they should be fitted. There is no law (yet) in the UK that says you must use them
still have to inform insurance and most wont want to alter with type approval of a vehicle really.
Ninja59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11th, 2012, 22:08   #22
Networkguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninja59 View Post
still have to inform insurance and most wont want to alter with type approval of a vehicle really.
Nonsense

Type approval says the car has to have high beam and dipped beam lights. I
You don't see me informing the insurance company if I choose not to use them
And when I switch the traction control off to drive out of a snow drift.
If there is a setting available to the driver via standard controls to torn the DRLs off then that's because the car was designed so that he driver can turn them off and the type approval was granted with that control in place.

Selecting a user selectable option is NOT a modification.
Networkguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11th, 2012, 22:18   #23
Ninja59

Quote:
Nonsense

Type approval says the car has to have high beam and dipped beam lights. I
You don't see me informing the insurance company if I choose not to use them
And when I switch the traction control off to drive out of a snow drift.
If there is a setting available to the driver via standard controls to torn the DRLs off then that's because the car was designed so that he driver can turn them off and the type approval was granted with that control in place.

Selecting a user selectable option is NOT a modification.
if not available without using VIDA you will and i have seen a fair few from this year being told no to turning them off (if having to go through VIDA).

Also if you are a tool and drive without lights anyway (if your utterly daft enough) at night and something happens your asking for it to be invalid....so yes theory has its place in this one so could happen.

Last edited by Ninja59; Sep 11th, 2012 at 22:20.
Old Sep 11th, 2012, 22:21   #24
Networkguy

Quote:
if not available without using VIDA you will.
At which point it's not a user selectable option.

Having said that, the whole DLR on/off argument has been ongoing on this forum for longer that the 12 years I have been a member so I don't intend going there again tonight.
Old Sep 11th, 2012, 22:24   #25
Ninja59

I am not arguing the point but the chances are now because of the state of play in relation to type approval that it wont be in user control, and selectable option.
Old Sep 11th, 2012, 22:26   #26
Networkguy

Quote:

Also if you are a tool and drive without lights anyway (if your utterly daft enough) at night and something happens your asking for it to be invalid....so yes theory has its place in this one so could happen.
Hang on

There's a clue in the name here

Daytime Running Lights are for use during the daytime. Under the current EU legislation where we are seeing LED lights being fitted to all new cars (and with Volvo starting to do the same) they are not a replacement for your normal lights at night time.

Most of these cars have auto lights anyway so even with the DRLs off, even if done by the dealer, your lights will come on at night automatically anyway.

But I don't see how your argument is valid in this case.
Old Sep 11th, 2012, 22:28   #27
Ninja59

you brought main driving lights into the frame...

most not ALL.

you clearly have no idea to the extent insurers will go to then.
Old Sep 11th, 2012, 22:33   #28
Networkguy

Quote:
you brought main driving lights into the frame...

most not ALL.

you clearly have no idea to the extent insurers will go to then.
Oh dear.

It's getting late isn't it.
Old Sep 12th, 2012, 09:01   #29
wimorrison
Grumpy Old Sod

Quote:
Type approval only says they should be fitted. There is no law (yet) in the UK that says you must use them
DRLs are required to switch on automatically with the engine and have been mandatory since 7 Feb 2011 on new vehicles.

If your type approval states that you have DRLs then they must work when you switch on the engine.
Old Sep 12th, 2012, 09:17   #30
Networkguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by wimorrison View Post
DRLs are required to switch on automatically with the engine and have been mandatory since 7 Feb 2011 on new vehicles.

If your type approval states that you have DRLs then they must work when you switch on the engine.
Correct. That is how they are designed to operate and what the type approval is all about.

But

There is nothing in the legislation that prevents an owner/driver turning them off should they choose.

Of course there has been a big push for years to make DRLs (and the use of them) mandatory in the UK. Several other countries have already taken this route in recent years.

I believe the current EU legislation is a compromise. They are now fitted as standard.

Indeed my current car has them (the LED type) but it came out of the factory with them turned off. I turned them on (via a menu option on the OBC) myself

So simply, if the car has a user selectable setting (as detailed in the manual) that allows you to turn them off then you are perfectly within your rights as the owner of the car to do so and you do not need to inform your insurance company.

Of course you do this against the argument of DRLs being an safety feature so why would you turn them off?