Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Cam belt failure

Views : 12467

Replies : 70

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 12th, 2009, 18:40   #21
kentishdriver

Check out the Sale of goods act. You may have a valid complaint. However, any liability may have been accounted for by Volvo's offer of a 30% contribution. Nevertheless, you should be able to get more out of them, because their 30% probably won't cost them anything, and swallowed up in the parts and labour mark up.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/magazine/8253915.stm

Last edited by kentishdriver; Nov 12th, 2009 at 18:41. Reason: spelling
kentishdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13th, 2009, 14:21   #22
AB-UK
Premier Member

Beware - my main dealer screwed up my cam belt during a service.
It was just a month since had just had my 80K service, which included replacement of the cam belt
It gave way in the fast lane of the M1. Fortunately I guided my 850 to the hard shoulder so the kids and I escaped disaster.
Had it towed to the main dealer where they looked at it and at first admitted they had screwed up - I noted that the engine cover was on so tight one bolt had to be drilled out. The belt cover was on so tight the belt had worn a long groove/cut through it. No wonder it gave out I thought.
£5000 to repair they said.
Had it independently assessed - and I complained to Volvo UK, but both they and the dealer said it was a faulty water pump which had caused the belt to break, and they had the car and pump!!!!! No opportunity to disagree and have the parts independently checked - I should have taken it to an independent first - aint hindsight grand!

They said that between them as a token of good will they will pay most of it but I must still pay £500 to have it repaired.
Considering only a month before I had shelled out over £500 for the service and it seemed obvious that the "service" had contributed to the mess, I wasn't very pleased.
I almost took them to court and looked into the matter but the advice I received was that although the court case would have resulted in me winning, their claim of mechanical fault would have meant I would win only by 80:20 in my favour, so it would still have cost me £1000. I very reluctantly paid another £500 for the repairs.

The dealer changed owner a couple of years ago - but kept the same staff.
I will never let them do any servicing on any of my cars again. Of course I am also very displeased with Volvo UK.

I think you should obtain advice and commence a civil claim if you are not happy with Volvo's offer to cover part of the cost.
Good luck.

Last edited by AB-UK; Nov 13th, 2009 at 14:23.
AB-UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7th, 2009, 16:14   #23
chalkhill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perili View Post
I contacted Volvo today, Thay have had my XC90 for 22 days following the failure of the cam belt tensioner. They want £5432.00 to fix it and are offering to pay 30%. I am in the process of responding in writing to this offer
My 2004 XC90 tensioner belt has just failed at only 45000 miles. Volvo only offering 15% against a total bill from Volvo Garage Squire Furneaux of £6,000
Whatt is your current position with Volvo?
Do you have a curtosy car from your Volvo dealer?
Would really appreciate your feedback
chalkhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7th, 2009, 16:22   #24
chalkhill

how many miles had you done?
chalkhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17th, 2010, 19:26   #25
bustedbelt

Default Premature Cam belt failure D5

Dear all, If you look around the various forums this appears to be a relatively common occurrence - more common than you want given the catastrophic nature of the failure.

Keep putting pressure on Volvo as this is a serious issue which could result in a serious accident - particularly if you were overtaking when it failed.
bustedbelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15th, 2010, 21:48   #26
jenster

Exclamation cam belt disaster

Help!!

please be gentle with me this is my first time on the forum

I have an XC90 and on the way home the other night the engine mngmt system shut the car down while on the A14 and Ive just been told by my less than customer friendly volvo dealership that the engine cam belt has disintegrated- engine siezed and they are assessing more in the am.
the car is 2003 model D5 and only 76K miles. The recc change is 10 years or 96K so I feel hard done by. does anyone have any advice on my chances of getting volvo to contribute to the inevitable hefty costs.
hope somebody can help
thanks
J
jenster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16th, 2010, 10:06   #27
pdrvolvo
Master Member

bad luck with the motor.its only my opinion but for volvo to "recommend" a belt change at 96k is quite frankly suicidal.i would have though 50k max.they are out of order and shoud share the cost of repair.lobby them hard.

best of luck.

peter.
Old Apr 16th, 2010, 15:03   #28
RoyMacDonald
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenster View Post
Help!!

please be gentle with me this is my first time on the forum

I have an XC90 and on the way home the other night the engine mngmt system shut the car down while on the A14 and Ive just been told by my less than customer friendly volvo dealership that the engine cam belt has disintegrated- engine siezed and they are assessing more in the am.
the car is 2003 model D5 and only 76K miles. The recc change is 10 years or 96K so I feel hard done by. does anyone have any advice on my chances of getting volvo to contribute to the inevitable hefty costs.
hope somebody can help
thanks
J
The Volvo 03 service sheet says change at 8 years, not 10. You're still within the recommended interval though.
Old Apr 16th, 2010, 15:17   #29
AB-UK
Premier Member

My indie, a former long serving Volvo mechanic, told me the recommended replacement time is about half of the expected lifetime of the belt.
AB-UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16th, 2010, 16:48   #30
Chris N

As a rule I've always done 4 years or 40,000 miles. What ever comes first.

25 years of motoring and never had a belt fail......
Chris N is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Chris N For This Useful Post: