Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Cabin fan

Views : 2339

Replies : 33

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 4th, 2007, 19:58   #21
V70 driver
V70 driver

Default Service ?

Hi Clan,
Generally I do but have only just had my car over a year and the next service is coming up with the cam-belt change. The car was "serviced" supposedly before I collected it from a none Volvo dealer. I take it this was obviously "missed" during the routine PDI as a new purchaser.
The car is in for a service in the next ten days. If this is part of the service then I would probably leave it but if this could be a route cause of my cabin fan not working then am happy to hoover it out and see if the fan works.
V70 driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clan View Post
Errr you do have your car serviced every year ? The pollen filter is an item that must be changed at every service !
V70 driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 4th, 2007, 20:33   #22
skynet2029
850 Addict!

Just managed to change my Heater Motor over to the new one with no problems at the moment hopefully it will stay that way.

Great Stuff.
skynet2029 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 4th, 2007, 20:37   #23
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by V70 driver View Post
Hi Clan,
Generally I do but have only just had my car over a year and the next service is coming up with the cam-belt change. The car was "serviced" supposedly before I collected it from a none Volvo dealer. I take it this was obviously "missed" during the routine PDI as a new purchaser.
The car is in for a service in the next ten days. If this is part of the service then I would probably leave it but if this could be a route cause of my cabin fan not working then am happy to hoover it out and see if the fan works.
V70 driver

I doubt if a non volvo car sales lot would even know it had a pollen filter there .
If the pollen filter is blocked it will cause the cabin fan to make a deep throbbing noise and rev higher than it normaly would , therefore draw less current as it is not pumping any air .... vacuuming the pollen filter will only remove the "rocks" on the surface , the minute pollen particles will be deeply embedded and will remain there trapped in the special material designed to do just that ...

Last edited by Clan; Oct 4th, 2007 at 20:41.
Clan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 4th, 2007, 21:18   #24
V70 driver
V70 driver

Default New one then

I understand, in that case I will hoover out the surrounding area and get a new filter put in at the service. In the mean time I will have a go at the glove box removal so I can get a view at the fan and the part number.
Thanks for your help and to everyone else. Chances of finding a used one that fits my exact one will be lucky, probably have to get a new one, I don't want to be wasting time hunting around for one that actually fits.
Just reading through the owners book, it states on page 1:30 if the ECC lights flash there is a fault. If they continue to flash next time the car is started to take car to dealer.
The 2-3 seconds the fan operates before going off and the lights coming on is a low growel
V70 driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clan View Post
I doubt if a non volvo car sales lot would even know it had a pollen filter there .
If the pollen filter is blocked it will cause the cabin fan to make a deep throbbing noise and rev higher than it normaly would , therefore draw less current as it is not pumping any air .... vacuuming the pollen filter will only remove the "rocks" on the surface , the minute pollen particles will be deeply embedded and will remain there trapped in the special material designed to do just that ...

Last edited by V70 driver; Oct 4th, 2007 at 21:33.
Old Oct 4th, 2007, 22:56   #25
skynet2029
850 Addict!

http://www.247spares.co.uk/

got me a heater fan motor in 1 day from ordering to arrival.

They use your Reg from DVLA to find the exact part for your car. no part number was required and you get 90 day warranty!!
Cant beat that.

There have 30 C70's being broken down so plent of parts to go by.

They ring you if they have them in stock.

Amazing service!!
Old Oct 5th, 2007, 13:29   #26
V70 driver
V70 driver

Default Here's hoping

Thanks for your help, lets hope they can help me.
Will let you know.
V70 driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by skynet2029 View Post
http://www.247spares.co.uk/

got me a heater fan motor in 1 day from ordering to arrival.

They use your Reg from DVLA to find the exact part for your car. no part number was required and you get 90 day warranty!!
Cant beat that.

There have 30 C70's being broken down so plent of parts to go by.

They ring you if they have them in stock.

Amazing service!!
Old Oct 6th, 2007, 10:41   #27
V70 driver
V70 driver

Default further update

Morning all, have taken the glove box out and viewed the fan. The part number on the fan is 09171430.
Have contacted 247spares but not heard anything back yet. Will give them another try.
Incidentally, with the glovebox out I tried the fan and again it growelled for about 2-3 seconds and then shut down with the usual lights on. I checked the filter which needs replacing and tried the fan without the filter in place and again the fan just growelled.
Sounds like the motor is on the way out.
Cheers all.
V70 driver
Old Oct 6th, 2007, 11:23   #28
V70 driver
V70 driver

Default Result

Have been contacted by 247spares and they are sending me a fan having given them the part number, should be with me on Tuesday which happens to be my day off. Including delivery from Hertfordshire £80, sounds better than £260 !!! Brilliant, so will have a go at doing the job myself. Then the car goes in for its cam-belt and service, good as new.
Thanks all, you've been brilliant
V70 driver
Old Oct 7th, 2007, 21:25   #29
skynet2029
850 Addict!

Great web site eh?

Took me 5 mins to fix back in and put trim back.

Hope it works for you bud.
Old Oct 8th, 2007, 13:18   #30
V70 driver
V70 driver

Default Spooky fan ?

Hi all,
The strangest thing has happened, my fan may be haunted. I hoovered the filter on Saturday afternoon with a small tube to get in to the narrowest of vanes and then tried the fan. It just growelled at me and as ususal after 3-4 seconds stopped. As mentioned above I purchased another fan from 247spares, brilliantly quick and positive, so this will be with me on Tuesday, tomorrow. The wife took the children to school this morning and of course needed to demist the front window, which we knew we could'nt do. About a mile from home and somewhat perturbed by the lack of view, my wife turned the fan on, it worked, all the way to the school. She turned the car off at school left it for a couple of minutes and then drove back home. The fan worked again and it still does. Do I take it that someone mentioned the pollen filter could be clogged and having since cleaned it the sensor now reads it to be clean and allows the fan to work?
I will keep the replacement fan arriving tomorrow, just in case. I will post another thread in a couple of days to see if the fan is still holding out. I will purchase a replacement filter. Will keep all advised.
Very spooky
V70 driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by skynet2029 View Post
Great web site eh?

Took me 5 mins to fix back in and put trim back.

Hope it works for you bud.