Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

First Problem With V90.

Views : 7048

Replies : 66

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 27th, 2017, 11:51   #21
tem
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by soupytwister View Post
It'd be interested to know if this is purely a V90 problem or across the range? Mine hasn't rebooted or crashed or hung since i got the car 3 weeks ago. Given the app code has to be the same, and there's no non-volvo programs you can add to it which are interrupting (i.e., it's not like a PC/Mac where you can install all sorts of stuff), then I can't see how this is anything but a hardware issue? Or some different/faulty hardware component in the engine/electronics/control bus that is giving conflicting messages back to Sensus software that it can't deal with - i.e. throwing a divide by zero exception or something

Not sure if Sensus code is common across the range, or if specific version for each car.
Post #19 is driving a S90.

tem.
Old Apr 27th, 2017, 12:45   #22
familymangreg
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by soupytwister View Post
It'd be interested to know if this is purely a V90 problem or across the range? Mine hasn't rebooted or crashed or hung since i got the car 3 weeks ago. Given the app code has to be the same, and there's no non-volvo programs you can add to it which are interrupting (i.e., it's not like a PC/Mac where you can install all sorts of stuff), then I can't see how this is anything but a hardware issue? Or some different/faulty hardware component in the engine/electronics/control bus that is giving conflicting messages back to Sensus software that it can't deal with - i.e. throwing a divide by zero exception or something

Not sure if Sensus code is common across the range, or if specific version for each car.
I agree, is such a closed platform, its difficult to understand how the software can work fine for so long and then start rebooting, without it being a hardware error, or module that starts providing different data/parameters into the unit. Sensus on my XC90 has rebooted a few times over the last 11 months.

:wq
Old Apr 27th, 2017, 13:16   #23
familymangreg
Premier Member

Tem, its a long shot, but *some* swedespeed users in page 4 posts of this thread are suggesting that uninstalling the weather app has stopped the Sensus reboots.

Like I say, its a long shot, and I wouldn't be confident it would make the difference, but might be worth giving it a go.

Old Apr 27th, 2017, 15:00   #24
tem
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by familymangreg View Post
Tem, its a long shot, but *some* swedespeed users in page 4 posts of this thread are suggesting that uninstalling the weather app has stopped the Sensus reboots.

Like I say, its a long shot, and I wouldn't be confident it would make the difference, but might be worth giving it a go.

Thanks.
This is interesting, as I use both the Weather and TuneIn apps all the time.
I was out for a short drive today and nothing crashed, but I will try removing the Weather app first and see what happens.

tem.
Old Apr 27th, 2017, 19:00   #25
tem
Premier Member

I have uninstalled the Weather app, so we will see if this improves things.

While I was in the apps, I looked at the TuneIn app and the Uninstall option was grayed out. Had this a few weeks ago, but it rectified itself.
Can someone please check the state of their TuneIn app?
Thank you.

tem.
Old Apr 27th, 2017, 19:12   #26
pagan8c
Master Member

I had my V90 for 5 months and never had a problem with Sensus (lucky me) I have now had my XC90 for 4 weeks and up to now it has behaved (keeping fingers crossed) I nearly downloaded the weather app yesterday but decided to give it a miss which may have been a good move now. I am going to download the latest navigation maps over the weekend so hopefully that won't have any effect.
pagan8c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 27th, 2017, 23:22   #27
soupytwister
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tem View Post
I have uninstalled the Weather app, so we will see if this improves things..
Again, for me, installed the weather app over 2 weeks ago. Not had any reboots or hangs or anything on Sensus. It just works as it should.

...there's got to be something going on hardware wise which is unusual to a batch of cars but which a software upgrade can work around.
soupytwister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 27th, 2017, 23:25   #28
soupytwister
Master Member

tem - given you're in the scottish highlands, and I'm in the scottish lowlands, maybe the weather app can't handle displaying temperatures <= 0C and that's why it's crashing

I know that sounds stupid, but it could actually be a valid reason - it won't be, but it's the sort of thing that could be upsetting Sensus in terms of edge case data that young & inexperienced programmers forget about
soupytwister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28th, 2017, 15:26   #29
tem
Premier Member

Removing the Weather app did not solve the problem, still crashing.
I now have the TuneIn app removed as well, will see what happens.

Fished out an old Garmin Nuvi, updated the maps, just incase the dealer cannot resolve the problem, before I set off for Italy in 4 weeks time.

tem.
Old Apr 28th, 2017, 20:43   #30
Jcbrown

It may be a specific app, a combination of apps, specific combinations of situations, ... But at the moment apparently Volvo are not sure of the exact reason, nor why some cars are affected and others not, why some cars are fine for months then have problems, etc. I guess if they did know they could fix it

The information I was given is that it is suspected that the issue is related to memory/disk partition management.

As I said previously, my car has some diagnostic checks running. This is dumping information to a memory stick on a rolling 2 day(ish) cycle. In the event of Sensus freezing/rebooting the hope is that there will be enough information in the information to identify the cause and therefore work out how to permanently fix it.

To some degree I wish Sensus had froze/rebooted in the last 3 weeks. Then
hopefully we would have some information for Volvo to investigate. However, it has obstinately decided to work fine.