Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General Forum for the P3-platform S80 and 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Anyone got a Polestar upgrade for D4?

Views : 10089

Replies : 32

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 11th, 2022, 15:45   #21
Tatsfield
Premier Member

I bought the Polestar upgrade for my D5. Just love it! I know it's not a huge increase in power, 215 bhp up to 230 bhp, but the car is a different animal now and I wouldn't go back to standard 215 bhp.

It's not the cheapest mod but I did get a 20% discount from the Volvo dealer and the cost is 20% tax deductible and the 20% VAT was recoverable, because I use the car for business. So for me it was a great mod at a very affordable price. If you pay full price for it, it would be expensive.
Old Mar 11th, 2022, 16:00   #22
yostumpy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tatsfield View Post
I am used to boxes with a Sport mode changing down at least one gear when the Sport mode is selected. I have always used this feature to provide engine braking coming into fast bends etc. On the Geartronic this does not happen unless you also break quite hard to slow the car and once it is slowed, then the box changes down which defeats the object of engine braking. Does the Polestar upgrade change this aspect of the box and make the Sports mode more "sporty" coming down the range as well as going up it?
Just read your post of 2016, and was this altered on later cars, or did you have a software glitch back then, and not know it. My 2016 changes down 1 gear when flipped over to sport/manual, and I thought they all did.?
Old Mar 11th, 2022, 16:24   #23
FreshAir

https://elkperformance.uk/ is a possible lower priced source for official upgrade.
FreshAir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11th, 2022, 18:35   #24
yostumpy

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreshAir View Post
https://elkperformance.uk/ is a possible lower priced source for official upgrade.
Might help , if they said what part of the country they are in.
Old Mar 11th, 2022, 20:31   #25
Tatsfield
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yostumpy View Post
Just read your post of 2016, and was this altered on later cars, or did you have a software glitch back then, and not know it. My 2016 changes down 1 gear when flipped over to sport/manual, and I thought they all did.?
My 2012 XC70 Geartronic changes down when the road speed reduces which you have to effect with the brakes. It does not change down merely because you select the Sports mode. What you describe is what I would have expected from a sports mode function as dropping a cog to slow the car is a basic sports driving technique. On my previous car you had to press a button to engage sports mode, so I wired a foot pedal switch on the foot rest in parallel so that a touch of the left foot which had nothing else to do would engage sport and drop a gear and another would switch out of sports and allow the box to change up again, all without me having to take my hand of the wheel. I really miss that feature but there is no way my 2012 XC70 will offer me this sort of sports based driving.

Last edited by Tatsfield; Mar 11th, 2022 at 20:33.
Tatsfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12th, 2022, 07:24   #26
reggit
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yostumpy View Post
Might help , if they said what part of the country they are in.
The phone number has an 01300 area code which seems to be in the Dorset area.
Old Mar 12th, 2022, 23:08   #27
apersson850
Premier Member

Quote:
What you describe is what I would have expected from a sports mode function as dropping a cog to slow the car is a basic sports driving technique.
As you know by now, that's exactly what my XC70 D5 2012 is indeed doing. And it has nothing to do with it having Polestar, as those I've driven all do it. Just like our XC70 D4, which doesn't have Polestar.
apersson850 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13th, 2022, 09:48   #28
Tatsfield
Premier Member

Well my 2012 just doesn't do it. It careers along until something slows it and then it changes down to match the road speed. It definitely doesn't drop a cog to slow the car when the lever is moved. The local Volvo dealers were asked to upgrade the transmission program but they said that it was always subject to upgrading when the car is serviced under the Volvo servicing promise.

I came from a sports GT car where engine braking was very much part of the driving experience plus the fact that I modded the access to the sports mode to allow me to flip in and out of it with a touch of my right foot on a pedal switch. So I was very used to using the gearbox for both acceleration and deceleration and coming to the XC70 was a great disappointment. I've got used to a different style of driving but am very jealous of XC70 owners who have instant engine braking when moving the selector into the sports mode position.
Old Mar 13th, 2022, 14:16   #29
apersson850
Premier Member

Quote:
... but they said that it was always subject to upgrading when the car is serviced under the Volvo servicing promise.
That's a truth with some modifications. Volvo prepares an update package for some parts of your car, a package which is loaded if you do a service at Volvo.
But not everything is updated.

On the other hand, my car has done this since day one, which was back in 2011, so it's something that should have been there from the beginning. It's not a racing car's downshift. It may take a second or so, from shifting to sports mode until you get a gear shift. But it comes in two stages, since in S mode the converter lockup is more firm. If you are coasting, it will pretty immediately apply a stiff lockup and a moment later shift down, at least if the latter is reasonable under the circumstances. If you already are doing 200 km/h it will probably not.
apersson850 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14th, 2022, 09:31   #30
Tatsfield
Premier Member

I've stopped worrying about it but even if it is performing as you say, compared with the true sports downshifting to which I was used for 25 years of driving various 2+2 coupes, Toyota, Honda and Peugeot, the AW box on my XC70 provides next to no real engine braking without using the brakes. On the 406 Peugeot V6s which I had for 15 years I could drive hard all day on open roads without touching the brakes unless some other car impeded my progress but on the Volvo I'm using the brakes all the time. It reminds me of the old US style auto boxes of 50 years ago. But the Swedish tank isn't a sports car and it does a lot of other things very well.