Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Hankook tyres

Views : 2172

Replies : 36

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 20th, 2020, 11:19   #21
AndyV7o
Premier Member

Yes indeed, older cars were based around older tyres, which were usually of stiffer construction with a siped tread and smaller tread blocks.
Unfortunately for cars of the 80's and 90's there is nothing to cater for them currently, there are 60's and 70's (bloody expensive) re-runs, and there are modern tyres which are mostly very soft in construction.
Funnily, to that end, some of today's tyres can end up being rather well suited to some 60's cars that were developed with fabric belted tyres such as the Dunlop Aquajet for example...
AndyV7o is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to AndyV7o For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 23rd, 2020, 15:01   #22
rockheadrumble

My mates Mum recently had a catastrophic failure on a hankook tyre one week after it was fitted. She was in a 30 zone and the side wall collapsed, the tyre was shredded all the way round the side wall with all the wire core showing and snapped. Just read reviews and it seems they have problems for years.

I had Bridgestones on my Octavia VRS from new and TBH didnt rate them much. They lasted a while but they are a hard compound and had a tendency to understeer and lack grip. But it depends if you want performance/grip or more miles out them and economy.

Ive had never had a tyre grip and brake nearly as well as Michellin pilot sport 4's that i had on the golf before the VRS.
Probably not great if you do a lot of miles though.

Happy sunbathing

Joe
HOLSET/new 3" exh+531 being installed(watch this space!) VXR 470cc injectors,960maf, 3" throttle,AEM AFR wideband, Forge MBC, Boost gauge, TTV Billet fly+850r clutch, Locker diff mod, Lowered 40mm,B4 bilsteins,Adj panhard rod,Cone filter.247400miles!
rockheadrumble is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to rockheadrumble For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 23rd, 2020, 15:44   #23
AndyV7o
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockheadrumble View Post
My mates Mum recently had a catastrophic failure on a hankook tyre one week after it was fitted. She was in a 30 zone and the side wall collapsed, the tyre was shredded all the way round the side wall with all the wire core showing and snapped. Just read reviews and it seems they have problems for years.

I had Bridgestones on my Octavia VRS from new and TBH didnt rate them much. They lasted a while but they are a hard compound and had a tendency to understeer and lack grip. But it depends if you want performance/grip or more miles out them and economy.

Ive had never had a tyre grip and brake nearly as well as Michellin pilot sport 4's that i had on the golf before the VRS.
Probably not great if you do a lot of miles though.

Happy sunbathing

Joe
Bridgestone went through a long 'off' period, probably 8-10 years, where they were pretty shocking in the wet for a premium manufacturer. A couple of years back though, they turned themselves around and got back on form. Take the T001 and T001 evo, identical pattern etc but two VERY different tyres! The original was constantly slated for being a bit teflon like, the evo indicates a shift in compound to their latest, vastly improved compound, which instantly started winning or getting podium spots in tests across the board...
Now the T001 wasn't a dire tyre, but it did leave a lot to be desired and was competing in performance with lower tier tyres like Toyo, Firestone, Maxxis, Kumho, etc...
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AndyV7o For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 24th, 2020, 06:21   #24
360beast
Go redblock or go home

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyV7o View Post
Bridgestone went through a long 'off' period, probably 8-10 years, where they were pretty shocking in the wet for a premium manufacturer. A couple of years back though, they turned themselves around and got back on form. Take the T001 and T001 evo, identical pattern etc but two VERY different tyres! The original was constantly slated for being a bit teflon like, the evo indicates a shift in compound to their latest, vastly improved compound, which instantly started winning or getting podium spots in tests across the board...
Now the T001 wasn't a dire tyre, but it did leave a lot to be desired and was competing in performance with lower tier tyres like Toyo, Firestone, Maxxis, Kumho, etc...
I always research which Bridgestone I'm going to fit thoroughly and I found the same info as you, that's why I got T001 evo tyres.
360beast is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 360beast For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 24th, 2020, 08:25   #25
griston64
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 360beast View Post
I always research which Bridgestone I'm going to fit thoroughly and I found the same info as you, that's why I got T001 evo tyres.
I looked on the Bridgestone UK website yesterday and it looks like the Turanza Evo 1 has been discontinued ??
griston64 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to griston64 For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 24th, 2020, 10:01   #26
AndyV7o
Premier Member

Do you mean the T001 evo? Turanza is a name used on many tyres.
Yes, the T005 is their current tyre, though I think the T001evo may still remain in production in certain sizes for oe contract fulfilment.
Oe supply is why you can find superceded models still for sale. Its a weird setup, a manufacturer may fit any of say 8 different tyres/manufacturers, but if a model they were using is superceded, they can demand the manufacturer keeps producing supply. You used to get brand new Mini's wearing Michelin e3a long after they had been replaced by Energy, for example.
Anyway, I digress again.....
Old Apr 24th, 2020, 13:08   #27
griston64
Premier Member

Yes I think it is the T001 Evo that's been replaced. Perhaps I wasn't looking properly but I couldn't find it ion the Bridgestone UK website
griston64 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to griston64 For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 25th, 2020, 22:56   #28
deeman940
Master Member

Bridgestone Potenza Re 003 would be my choice, but i stick with TOYO T1-R usually....
deeman940 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to deeman940 For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 25th, 2020, 23:33   #29
AndyV7o
Premier Member

Jeezus! T1-R are VERY old-hat now! Not an unsafe tyre but never the greatest, vastly overrated but intrinsically 'alright'.
There are so many better tyres around now for that money, and the T1-R are getting a bit scarce, its unusual to find someone running them now!
In 2012 I put a set on wife's (then new gf's) ratty fiesta to replace the absolutely god-awful sunny p6000 rip-offs/accelera's, but now you have Falken/Kumho making much better slternatives for low money...
Old Apr 26th, 2020, 00:12   #30
aardvarkash10
Master Member

I do have to giggle at all this.

Here in the futherest flung corner of Her Majesty's Empire, pretty much every road is chip sealed. Smooth hot-mix is the vanishingly rare exception, even on our main arterials and motorways.

Consequently, tyres that may seem logical with a performance orientation elsewhere are mind-numbingly noisy, pull all over the place, wear at financially crippling rates, and struggle to get grip.

Round and black works well here and we have accepted drifting as a standard driving style.
aardvarkash10 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to aardvarkash10 For This Useful Post: