Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

knocking gearbox

Views : 4088

Replies : 28

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 11th, 2011, 15:28   #21
gecko101

Unhappy mine too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lcnar01 View Post
You are not alone! My D2 is exactly the same. The dealer acknowledges the problem, but says all D2's are the same. Of course this does not help us! I don't know what to do next. I can't see Volvo offering replacement D3 models to all D2 owners.
..and mine's the same, it's a 2011 model that was manufactured in January.

I didn't notice the 'clunk' originally, but it started after a few thousand miles. Thankfully the clunk does not appear to be getting any worse at the moment.

I have not contacted the dealer because I will expect the same response as everyone else had reported. This is my first Volvo and it has gone back to the dealer already because the steering wheel was out of line, also been back because one of the keys did not work. After a series of flawless VWs I'm not terribly impressed so far.

Last edited by gecko101; Aug 11th, 2011 at 15:32.
gecko101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 12th, 2011, 17:06   #22
lcnar01
V50

It might be an idea to report the matter to your dealer. The more people that complain the more likely Volvo will sit up and take notice. Also if this knocking leads to serious problems in the future, having the complaint on record with your dealer might help.
I too came from a faultless VW so I know what you mean!
lcnar01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 21st, 2011, 16:28   #23
Taps

Default Volvo V50 2.0D

I have a Volvo V50 SE Lux, had it from new, now two and half years. (58 plat), (40000 miles). Early on I had a knock from drive train and when I took it garage under warranty was told driveshafts had been checked and splines had been rebonded. Cured it for a while but "knock" returned. So dealer replaced the intermediate bearing on offside driveshaft...Didnt cure it. I now have a knock when changing gears (low gears) and also the continued knock when taking up the load after gear change, or if I "blip" the accelerator. Yes it sounds like backlash somewhere on the drive train. Mainly from offside.
Dealer has checked car under warranty recently but has said they cannot find any problems! Investigation was inconclusive. They commented that gear lever knock can happen due to slack linkages?? However it only knocks when engine running. And that there was no excessive movement on the driveshafts. Not really impressed with this. Next move to contact Volvo and see what they recommend but not holding my breath. This is the second V50 I have had. First one was great, but this one will be my last Volvo.
Taps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 21st, 2011, 18:19   #24
lcnar01
V50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taps View Post
I have a Volvo V50 SE Lux, had it from new, now two and half years. (58 plat), (40000 miles). Early on I had a knock from drive train and when I took it garage under warranty was told driveshafts had been checked and splines had been rebonded. Cured it for a while but "knock" returned. So dealer replaced the intermediate bearing on offside driveshaft...Didnt cure it. I now have a knock when changing gears (low gears) and also the continued knock when taking up the load after gear change, or if I "blip" the accelerator. Yes it sounds like backlash somewhere on the drive train. Mainly from offside.
Dealer has checked car under warranty recently but has said they cannot find any problems! Investigation was inconclusive. They commented that gear lever knock can happen due to slack linkages?? However it only knocks when engine running. And that there was no excessive movement on the driveshafts. Not really impressed with this. Next move to contact Volvo and see what they recommend but not holding my breath. This is the second V50 I have had. First one was great, but this one will be my last Volvo.
Best of luck! Let us know how you get on.
lcnar01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23rd, 2011, 12:28   #25
Taps

Volvo dealer has agreed to get car back in and check the drive shafts in detail. So some progress.
Taps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30th, 2011, 12:35   #26
faffi
Motorcyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by faffi View Post
the drivetrain (I presume) have now added another peculiarity; a humming like a fan not quite balanced or a prop airplane from a distance. The sound is connected to speed, as the tune/frequence will alter directly with speed. However, it is totally unrelated to engine speed; putting the box in neutral or depressing the clutch have no impact on the sound. It is loud enough to be heard above the stereo at normal volume. In no way has it affected performance or how the car operates. .
Finally the garage had time to check the car out. I left the car there in the morning and after an hour I got an SMS saying I could pick up the car. Chucks, me thought, the "#¤%>& didn't find anything. Working myself up as I walked to pick the car up, it turned out they had established the culprit to be a pair of shot wheel bearings on the right front wheel. I had discarded the wheel bearing theory since the sound hardly varies with turning, but there you go.

The bearings can have been faulty since new; the mechanic believed the slightly vibrating noise I've always had from the steering column area when holding the steering wheel a little to the right also stems from the shot bearing. We'll see.

I certainly hope I do not need new wheel bearings every 7k miles, though
faffi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30th, 2011, 23:46   #27
SonyVaio
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by faffi View Post
I certainly hope I do not need new wheel bearings every 7k miles, though
EeekK!! 7k?

Now that is pretty bad if you need new bearings after just 7k. These S40/V50/C30's do seem quite heavy on these front wheel bearings from what I've been reading??

Of course you are lucky you're still under warranty. I've just won a front Genuine Volvo V50 front bearing on ebay for £28 as I believe mine are a bit noisy although I don't get any knock so that's good.

How much is a front bearing from the dealers, anyone know?

Last edited by SonyVaio; Aug 30th, 2011 at 23:48. Reason: lisdexic
SonyVaio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21st, 2011, 11:44   #28
gecko101

my D2 is in the garage and I'm told a driveshaft is on it's way from Sweeden! The driveshaft is supposed to be the reason for the noise.
gecko101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21st, 2011, 11:53   #29
faffi
Motorcyclist

Mine became silent with a new axle and bearing. But the play in the drivetrain is just as annoying as ever.
faffi is offline   Reply With Quote