Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > Diesel Engines
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Diesel Engines A forum dedicated to diesel engines fitted to Volvo cars. See the first post in this forum for a list of the diesel engines.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

C30 D2 poor economy & running

Views : 4582

Replies : 44

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 2nd, 2012, 18:43   #21
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MG1 View Post
Hmm...

I bought myself a really nice '08 C30 2.0D R Design Sport a few days ago.

Prior to this I had been driving around in a nearly 12 year old Astra 2.0D turbo diesel which was up to 172k by the time I bid my farewells.

Love the car. The quality, the ride, the handling etc. But...I can't carry on with it if things don't improve. Economy is worse than my astra. On a run back of 30 miles in traffic I got up to 32mpg then to 40mpg on a straighter run then down to 36mpg on the dual carriageway. I dropped the speed to around 65-70 to see if it would alter but it never budged above 40 at any time. I've done more trips since bringing it back. Average later today was 40mpg probably because I drove so much slower and with great care on the right foot. At one point yesterday when I got up to 80mph the trip went 40..39.8..39...38.5....36.....32..... then I slowed down.

In comparison, when I fuelled up my old Astra, I could hammer it on the accelarator, drive pretty quickly and still be doing better mpg than the C30. I ran it on a 130 mile round trip on motorway and normal roads. I was heavy on the pedal and no slouch on the motorway. Bearing in mind the age of the engine and the way I was driving I returned 46mpg.

This may be normal for these C30 sport cars but to be honest although I love the car and the ride and the performance etc I don't want to be dipping my hand into my wallet twice a week for work in comparison for once a week with the Astra. It's worse than a 2.0litre petrol. My work colleague used to drive an 11 year old 1.8 petrol that had better mileage than this.

Do the fixes referred to above include 08 models or is it just the new ones?

The other thing: the C30 is £170 pa for road tax whereas my old Astra was £165.
give it a chance , and you admitted doing 80 mph which is a killer for fuel consumption ! When the novely of the power has faded things will improve , look at the average speed display what is that showing? It needs to be over 40 mph for economy to be good .
Old Jul 2nd, 2012, 19:10   #22
MG1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clan View Post
give it a chance , and you admitted doing 80 mph which is a killer for fuel consumption ! When the novely of the power has faded things will improve , look at the average speed display what is that showing? It needs to be over 40 mph for economy to be good .
Yep, I know 80mph is not the most economic of speeds but the return of 46mpg on my dear old Astra was based on 80mph for over half the journey plus a lot of stop/start traffic and heavy acceleration.

I do like the C30. It oozes quality. But to me diesel is supposed to be more economical than petrol. However, I'm getting petrol mileage for diesel prices.

My bro has a brand new Audi A4 2.0d turbo as a company car. His average is 50-52mpg which he thinks good for a new engine. When he had petrols 1.6 and 1.8 he was averaging 39-41 and 35-39 respectively depending on journeys. As he said, at this rate I'd have been better off with a 1.8 petrol. More on tax but cheaper at the pump!
MG1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2nd, 2012, 23:40   #23
stevep999

Default service promise

Clan

Would the service promise of all necessary software updates include January 'fix' for the D2 ?
Old Jul 3rd, 2012, 18:46   #24
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevep999 View Post
Clan

Would the service promise of all necessary software updates include January 'fix' for the D2 ?
no, it is particularly excluded from this update .
Old Jul 4th, 2012, 07:29   #25
stevep999

Really ! Wonder what their excuse is for that
Old Jul 4th, 2012, 20:49   #26
MG1

I've read in other places that the wretched DPF could detrimentaly affect mpg? Last night I was chatting to a couple who've got an 08 Peugot 308 1.9dti and they're getting the same mpg as me. Their dealer told them it could be the DPF.

What I do know is my bruv's Audio A4 2.0diesel is sitting comfortably at average 46-48mpg in traffic and 50+ on a run and that's on a new engine. I travelled 25 miles last night on a dual carriage way at a speed of 65-70 and got up to 41 average. A few miles before this I hit the 80ish mark and the read out told me 37 average.

These 2.0ltre diesels are 138bhp right? So I recognise I might not get what I would with a less powerful engine but it's below the 150+bhp super drain the fuel tank type performance.

Love the car, great quality but I'm gonna have to move it on if I can't improve it as I'm unlikely to potter around at 65mph on motorways to justify the diesel costs. Not as though 41mpg is really justified!
Old Jul 5th, 2012, 16:11   #27
Bendolfc
Premier Member

Have you had the codes read, it should easilly do more than that.
Bendolfc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 5th, 2012, 18:33   #28
Ninja59
Probably Akita's Toyboy..

Quote:
Hmm...

I bought myself a really nice '08 C30 2.0D R Design Sport a few days ago.

Prior to this I had been driving around in a nearly 12 year old Astra 2.0D turbo diesel which was up to 172k by the time I bid my farewells.

Love the car. The quality, the ride, the handling etc. But...I can't carry on with it if things don't improve. Economy is worse than my astra. On a run back of 30 miles in traffic I got up to 32mpg then to 40mpg on a straighter run then down to 36mpg on the dual carriageway. I dropped the speed to around 65-70 to see if it would alter but it never budged above 40 at any time. I've done more trips since bringing it back. Average later today was 40mpg probably because I drove so much slower and with great care on the right foot. At one point yesterday when I got up to 80mph the trip went 40..39.8..39...38.5....36.....32..... then I slowed down.

In comparison, when I fuelled up my old Astra, I could hammer it on the accelarator, drive pretty quickly and still be doing better mpg than the C30. I ran it on a 130 mile round trip on motorway and normal roads. I was heavy on the pedal and no slouch on the motorway. Bearing in mind the age of the engine and the way I was driving I returned 46mpg.

This may be normal for these C30 sport cars but to be honest although I love the car and the ride and the performance etc I don't want to be dipping my hand into my wallet twice a week for work in comparison for once a week with the Astra. It's worse than a 2.0litre petrol. My work colleague used to drive an 11 year old 1.8 petrol that had better mileage than this.

Do the fixes referred to above include 08 models or is it just the new ones?

The other thing: the C30 is £170 pa for road tax whereas my old Astra was £165.
£170 for a 2.0D is not bad considering a petrol would be higher.

Odd question what fuel source are you using?

if you answer me with supermarket fuel then i can tell you now this might be the source of some of your problem. mine on supermarket fuel is low to mid 40's

on shell fuelsave about 45-48
V power diesel very rarely get below 48-50...

oh the extra costs involved do balance out

bare in mind my car does not have a DPF, check whether yours has a DPF.

Have you had the latest updates done if there are any to, when was it last serviced?

you should easily be seeing mid 40's, i now get regularly near 50 not to far off our D2 in fact (although we have recently started putting vpower in this thanks to the mpg increase mine has gained).
Ninja59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 5th, 2012, 18:37   #29
Ninja59
Probably Akita's Toyboy..

Quote:
I've read in other places that the wretched DPF could detrimentaly affect mpg? Last night I was chatting to a couple who've got an 08 Peugot 308 1.9dti and they're getting the same mpg as me. Their dealer told them it could be the DPF.

What I do know is my bruv's Audio A4 2.0diesel is sitting comfortably at average 46-48mpg in traffic and 50+ on a run and that's on a new engine. I travelled 25 miles last night on a dual carriage way at a speed of 65-70 and got up to 41 average. A few miles before this I hit the 80ish mark and the read out told me 37 average.

These 2.0ltre diesels are 138bhp right? So I recognise I might not get what I would with a less powerful engine but it's below the 150+bhp super drain the fuel tank type performance.

Love the car, great quality but I'm gonna have to move it on if I can't improve it as I'm unlikely to potter around at 65mph on motorways to justify the diesel costs. Not as though 41mpg is really justified!
there were two versions of the 2.0D 136 and 138....i have regularly seen c30's returning much closer to 150 on a none remap basis and running with a remap nearer 180.
Ninja59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 5th, 2012, 20:12   #30
MG1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bendolfc View Post
Have you had the codes read, it should easilly do more than that.
Hi Bendolfc. How do I do the codes and what would I be looking for? My previous vehicle was a not so advanced Astra 2.0d.

Thanks
Mark