Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S40 / V40 '96-'04 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S40 / V40 '96-'04 General Forum for the Volvo S40 and V40 (Classic) Series from 1995-2004.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Headlight problem with 2000 V40

Views : 7998

Replies : 32

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 15th, 2011, 19:47   #21
m1tch1987
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryS40 View Post
I meant on average, m1tch, but I am sorely tempted to look at a TDi for my next car.

My 2005, 1.8 petrol Avensis used to return high 50's to low 60's on a steady motorway cruise. This one has all the same engine spec as the Avensis, but consumes fuel far less efficiently. On an overall calculation, I am only getting 30 - 35MPG from my S40.

Gary
Don't forget to factor in the cost of the car and parts etc, you can get a less fuel efficient car thats 2k cheaper to buy to start with then spending more for a more fuel efficient car (if that makes sense lol) worst thing you could do is to go out and buy a brand new car (like a Prius) that is hardly any more efficient but costs LOADs more vs a car you already own lol

2003 Volvo V40 1.9D Sport - MPG below

m1tch1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15th, 2011, 21:10   #22
twinturbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by m1tch1987 View Post
Don't forget to factor in the cost of the car and parts etc, you can get a less fuel efficient car thats 2k cheaper to buy to start with then spending more for a more fuel efficient car (if that makes sense lol) worst thing you could do is to go out and buy a brand new car (like a Prius) that is hardly any more efficient but costs LOADs more vs a car you already own lol

Not wishing to add to the thread jack.. But on a recent MSN page they had 10 ways to save fuel costs. 1 was a recommendation by the AA that a new £10,000 car could save up to £12 a week on fuel!!! Bloody fantastic, lets get a new car... You will have saved the purchase cost in only 16 years!

TT
Old Jun 15th, 2011, 22:10   #23
andy_d
Premier Member

and the car will need No servicing or parts and Still be able to be driven in 16years ??

hows about "buy a £2k s/V40,, use the £8k for fuel /servicing and Still have it in 16years"

to the OP

have you Tried putting the "HIGH" beam bulbs into the "DIP" beam light ? they are Both H7 fitment and you Know the "high" beam works, Swap the bulbs between the two, see which lights up

If whichever bulbs light in the "HIGH" beam lamp and Neither in the "dip"
check headlight switch
check wires on the back of the bulb skt
check fuses (again)
if that and the wiring under the rad is all ok
Check CEM unit. the relays for the headlights are in there, you Can open them up and replace the relays IF your bloomin good with a soldering iron. *there are how to's on here*
Old Jun 15th, 2011, 22:53   #24
twinturbo

Sensible consensus is that older cars may use more fuel but their total energy usage is weighted heavily during manufacture.

Governments make sure they gloss over this.

There is a 100% simple way to sort out the age/thirsts road tax situation that the government refuses.

Average all the taxation onto fuel. low users benefit, high users pay.. 3rd party insurance is factored in.

TT
Old Jun 16th, 2011, 01:11   #25
jonnyerey

Thanks all, for the advice, and please jack this thread for all it's worth. I got the bulbs out in the end and, surprise surprise, they were both blown. Put new phillips +100% ones in this morning and they are working beautifully. Now all I have to do is wrestle the cover back on the driver's side, which makes me feel like tearing out the windscreen washer reservoir...

Thanks again
jonnyerey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16th, 2011, 10:15   #26
Dog_Book
Idiot

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnyerey View Post
Thanks all, for the advice, and please jack this thread for all it's worth. I got the bulbs out in the end and, surprise surprise, they were both blown. Put new phillips +100% ones in this morning and they are working beautifully. Now all I have to do is wrestle the cover back on the driver's side, which makes me feel like tearing out the windscreen washer reservoir...

Thanks again
Lol what are you?

Busy pestering the poor sods here now
Dog_Book is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16th, 2011, 10:27   #27
m1tch1987
Premier Member

I have found with the tricky drivers side rear light seal its easiest to push the rubber below the lip first, and then try and fit the rest of the seal, I agree that both sides have their dif***ulties, but ive never needed to move anything as of yet to get any lights changed.

2003 Volvo V40 1.9D Sport - MPG below

m1tch1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16th, 2011, 12:41   #28
GaryS40
VOC Member

Thumbs up

Quote:

Thanks again
Use a cable tie, or a piece of string to hold the washer bottle neck out of the way. That will save you some grief.

Gary
Mod's so far: Orpheus alloys, 10.1" android multimedia head unit, Nappa leather rebuilt, wood trimmed m/function steering wheel, Polestar blue and black calipers, Pipe Dynamics custom turbo back stainless steel exhaust, with 200 cell sports cat, R engine and injector rail covers, tinted rear windows.
Previous cars:
1982 760 GLE saloon
1989 740 GLE estate
1991 440 S
2003 S40 S - Gone but not forgotten. ☹
16 non Volvos.
GaryS40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17th, 2011, 03:24   #29
jonnyerey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dog_Book View Post
Lol what are you?
Cheers everyone, all done.

@dogbook: What am I? I'm someone who doesn't know much about cars getting advice from people who do.
jonnyerey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17th, 2011, 12:12   #30
Dog_Book
Idiot

Quote:
Cheers everyone, all done.

@dogbook: What am I? I'm someone who doesn't know much about cars getting advice from people who do.
Was an attemp at some fun. Even though I'm qualified in mechanical things and run the maintenance in a large 4 star hotel you should see some of the mistakes I've made when I do I don't mind being laughed at even if I should know better

Busy pestering the poor sods here now
Dog_Book is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
headlights