Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Denison Gateway 500 - IPOD Interface

Views : 31632

Replies : 85

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 22nd, 2009, 22:09   #21
StephenJK

Default fitting of dension 500

hi,

how hard is it to fit the dension 500? is it worth paying someone to fit it or is it a relatively easy job? I don't know much about car stereos but am reasonable capable with small jobs around the car. What are people's experiences about how long does it takes to fit?

Stephen
StephenJK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23rd, 2009, 02:24   #22
pauljoz

It is clear from available info that the OE system needs to be programmed for a CD changer for the gateway to work, but that the changer does not need to be working.

I also understand that the gateway replaces the OE changer (that is it is rendered unuseable with the gateway installed).

Can anyone confirm if the dealer can program the OE system to accept a changer without one being present to enable the OE system to control the dension system?

Upgrade pathway is attractive for vehicles with only a single disk player even with dealler programming costs, but not if it requires a purchasing an exorbantly priced changer that adds no functionality.
pauljoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23rd, 2009, 12:41   #23
Dave©

Quote:
Originally Posted by pauljoz View Post
It is clear from available info that the OE system needs to be programmed for a CD changer for the gateway to work, but that the changer does not need to be working.

I also understand that the gateway replaces the OE changer (that is it is rendered unuseable with the gateway installed).

Can anyone confirm if the dealer can program the OE system to accept a changer without one being present to enable the OE system to control the dension system?

Upgrade pathway is attractive for vehicles with only a single disk player even with dealler programming costs, but not if it requires a purchasing an exorbantly priced changer that adds no functionality.
The Gateway does not replace the changer but mimics it. It can still be used by selecting a switch on a cable attached to it. Sorry I don't know about the programming end...

The GW 500 is relatively easy to install. It connects to +12V power and ground and two sets of fibre optic cables are attached. You do need to shift into D and then disconnect the battery to avoid draining it and damaging anything else - but I had no issues after reconnecting it, everything worked.

There are excellent guides with photos on this forum...

Cheers!
Dave© is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25th, 2009, 11:18   #24
Matt B

Now firmly on my "to do" list.
Matt B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28th, 2009, 22:11   #25
mikeww

Default Ipod / Zune connection

On my C70 the 3.5mm jack wasn't working so I gently opened the small hatch in the armrest which it's installed in. The four pin connector to the head unit/loom had become disconnected from the connection to the female 3.5mm input (cable was hideously short). This fixed the problem and my Zune works fine albeit it no head info or recharge..........I have half an Idea that the USB connector that you can spec as an option would also connect to this connector? Has anyone "been there?". Would be interested to know.

Cheers

Mike
mikeww is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mikeww For This Useful Post:
Old May 18th, 2009, 21:00   #26
rjmxc90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave© View Post
A further update:

I also fitted the Dension BTA1500 interface and that works even though Dension say it is not supported in the XC90. I now have a bluetooth handsfree system connected through the audio system.
Hello Dave,

A newby here ...
I am awaiting delivery of the BTA1500 i ordered. Seeing you've you gotten that set up in your car, can you share how you managed to configure it? Any tips & tricks in order to get it working?
Many thanks in advance!

Rob
rjmxc90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2009, 10:01   #27
Dave©

Hi,

I used the notes on the GW 500 to set up the bluetooth audio. Also Dension sent me new firmware which allowed text to work on the head unit. PM me your email address and I will sent this on.

The notes below are from here.

Cheers!

Note: if your vehicle does not have text capability, select CD6 on the changer to access the following source modes.
Track
Source
Description
Auxilliary Input
Plays audio from the device connected to the Dension Gateway (GW) auxilliary input
iPod UI
Enables you to use the iPod click wheel for audio
selection (recommend for vehicles without Browsing and Playback
capabilities)
ipod GW
Audio selection for the iPod is via the car entertainment system controls (recommended for vehicles with Browsing and Playback
capabilities)
USB
Plays music from the USB device connected to the Dension Gateway (not GW100)
BT Audio
Streams music from the Bluetooth audio device paired with the GW
BT Phone
Provides handsfree telephone functions from the Bluetooth phone paired with the GW
Reserved for future use
Reserved for future use
CDC
GW100/300:
Plays CDs from the vehicle’s orginal CD changer. To return to GW operation press either REW, RPT or SCN twice. Some vehicles may require power to the entertainment system to be turned off and then back on again (reboot) after the double-press.
Note: at least one CD must be loaded into the magazine otherwise
it is not possible to return to Gateway Dension operation.
GW 500:
Vehicles which support multiple CD changers will list the Gateway operating modes in sequence with the CDs loaded in the vehicle’s CD changer. To switch between GW 500 and CD changer on vehicles which do not support multiple CD changers,
use the bypass switch on the GW 500 auxilliary input box (some vehicles require a shutdown and cold start for this mode change).
Dave© is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dave© For This Useful Post:
Old May 19th, 2009, 13:00   #28
rjmxc90

Thanks Dave!

Can't wait to give it a go!
Old May 20th, 2009, 20:23   #29
rjmxc90

Default bta1500 installed and working

I got the bta1500 today, installed it and it's working. Ended up downloading and installing the latest firmware 2.16 for the dension 500 first.

I do have some issues though, for example:
- if a usb-stick is attached to the dension i can't switch to BT-audio. (should be select disc 6 and track 5 i believe?)
- incoming calls can't be asnwered at the steering wheel. So pick up on the phone but that transfers the call to the phone away from the handsfree bt.

Any tips would be welcome, i'll keep playing around with the setup in the mean time.
Old May 24th, 2009, 02:37   #30
caextreme

Default Same issue with BTA 1500

I installed the Gateway with the latest firware ant works great. Also put in BTA 1500 and i can't figure out how to initial the pairing. Also, when a call comes in a the iPhone shows it and the ring comes over the pseakers, but I can't figure out how to answer it. If i answer on phone it switches to phone.

Thanks for you replies - Dave, any tips>
caextreme is offline   Reply With Quote