Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

How many mechanics does it take to change a lightbulb?

Views : 3081

Replies : 28

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 9th, 2010, 22:40   #21
KFCKFC

BMN,

I looked into bulbs for both headlamp and DRL replacements for my V70 and I discussed it in the thread below:

http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=96711

(I am not sure if the V50 halogen lights are the same as I have Bi-xenon set-up onthe V50).

If you are looking at changing the rear number plate bulb for brighter LEDs then I also posted some details at:

http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=100348

KFC
KFCKFC is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to KFCKFC For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 9th, 2010, 22:51   #22
jasonb
In the mood for change!

Jonnie, HIDS are illegal in this country from an after-market perspective.
This web page makes for dismal reading.
http://www.dft.gov.uk/pgr/roadsafety/drs/hidheadlamps

The summary of the law is:
The headlamp unit (outer lens, reflector, bulb) shall be type approved to ECE 98 and be "e-marked".
Once fitted to the vehicle it must have headlamp cleaning and self-levelling.

In the end it is not permitted to convert an existing halogen headlamp unit for use with HID bulbs. The entire headlamp unit must be replaced with one designed and approved for use with HID bulbs.

Ignoring the spirit of the law for a second, the Volvo headlights contain projector style lenses to focus the beam pattern and, my V50 has headlamp washers....I'm close to being legal but I do fail in the end as the headlamps are designed for Halogens!

The risks: If installed correctly and not "bodged" like mine are for a moment (need to home the ballasts more permanently), who would know?
In fact, my bodged versions passed the MOT but then again, the light beam is all they check for and that the lights are working.
I can only think of a case where an insurance inspector may discover the modification should the vehicle be involved in an accident?
jasonb is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jasonb For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 10th, 2010, 07:53   #23
Jonnieb2009
Master Member

JB

That's the chance you take for using them and yes they do pass mots as you quite rightly say its the beam pattern. Ive got the winter pack too with headlamps washers, they are not self levelling. You can change your suspension to be self levelling. I wonder how much it would cost to install the real self levelling xenon units and would you require another wiring loom?

Last edited by Jonnieb2009; Aug 10th, 2010 at 07:55.
Jonnieb2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10th, 2010, 08:20   #24
Bigmunkynutz
S40 Owner

I like the idea of the Xenons i assume thats what you mean by HID?

in addition what is DRL? I think your referring to day running lights, which i don't think i have?

When I turn the light knob to 0 there are no lights on at all? is this normal? is the Daytime Running Light your side lights?

How much do you think i would be for a pair of active bi-xenons from volvo? or even a salvage yard?

just off topic, how do i get the pic below as my profile pic to the left?

it looks so silly that big and at the end o f every message...

05 Plate S40 SE Sport
Bigmunkynutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10th, 2010, 12:55   #25
Jonnieb2009
Master Member

BMN

Yes, Xenon/HID (high Intensity Discharge) are the same.

Yes sidelights - on mine, these are on all the time. I have linked the small Daytime Running Lights (LEDS) in the fog light insert to the sidelights.

I have bought another set of a brighter variety last night which Im going to rig up to a spare set of fog inserts that I have and see how they look.

Not sure how much the xenons cost, have you tried FRF for a quote and maybe might need new wiring loom.

You have to save the picture to a small size (80 pixels or 10kb) and go to USER CP at the top left of this page and select 'edit avatar' - from here you can add the scaled down picture - select browse pc and then select the picture

Last edited by Jonnieb2009; Aug 10th, 2010 at 12:56. Reason: added text
The Following User Says Thank You to Jonnieb2009 For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 10th, 2010, 14:04   #26
Bigmunkynutz
S40 Owner

Cheers Jonnie,

The profile looks right now...

The DRL's you 'added' are they the ones I can see in your profile pic just above the headlight?

also i thought with volvos the DRL's were always 'on' and you were unable to manually turn them to off?

as i can turn my switch to "0" and there off?

what price did you pay for your HID kit?

somebody showed me a link to somethin on fleabay for like £20 quid or less when there are other kits for £90.

05 Plate S40 SE Sport
Old Aug 10th, 2010, 16:21   #27
Jonnieb2009
Master Member

BMN,

The DRLS in my profile picture are the Halfords Prism ones £15. The new ones I have ordered are £10 but are alot brighter 6000k to match the HID's.

My DRLS are on all the time. I could ge them turned off by Volvo but that will cost me so I'm leaving them on.

I paid about £60 for the HID kit off ebay and another £15 for the cancellors.

They have been in about 2 years, Ive changed the ballasts and bulbs in that time. They have worked well.

Rgds
J

Last edited by Jonnieb2009; Aug 10th, 2010 at 16:26.
The Following User Says Thank You to Jonnieb2009 For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 10th, 2010, 17:25   #28
Bigmunkynutz
S40 Owner

Cheers J,

Let me know how the new ones work out as the profile pic looks smart and if the new ones are better I might have to get a set!

05 Plate S40 SE Sport
Old Aug 10th, 2010, 18:43   #29
Jonnieb2009
Master Member

Will do BMN

Rgds
J

Tags
bulb, light, styling