Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S40 / V40 '96-'04 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S40 / V40 '96-'04 General Forum for the Volvo S40 and V40 (Classic) Series from 1995-2004.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

key reprograming

Views : 18040

Replies : 42

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 31st, 2008, 22:50   #21
Clan
Experienced Member

yes if you have the white sticker with the fob THAT BELONGS TO THAT STICKER the dealer can program the fob to the car , 1999- 2001 it is a 8 digit code after 2001 it is a 16 digit code and an 8 digit code ..
Old Sep 1st, 2008, 07:41   #22
Ricco

Unhappy

I still need to know truthfully if this can be done because so far the answer is not clear. What is it exactly they do themselves to reprogram the fob?

I would like to know how long it does take to do and what tools/equipment are required.
Ricco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 1st, 2008, 18:30   #23
Clan
Experienced Member

It isnt the FOB which is re-programmed, it is the CAR ..
If it is 1999 or later the car will need to be in the dealer connected to the computer ..which in turn connects to the main volvo database in sweden . Once the computer verifies the car is correct by interogating it , It will allow the New Fob code to be input which tells the CAR what the unique code in the Fob is .. All the details in the car are sent back to Sweden to confirm and store the new fob number and record when and where it was done ...
So you see it's very secure ..
what tools do you need ? The Dealers communication diagnostic equipment .. It takes about 20 minutes ..
Old Aug 24th, 2011, 18:44   #24
reptilehunter

I have a 1997 s40, could i reprogram a fob at home then?

i just bought the car yesterday and there wasnt any fob. in fact i have two keys both open the doors and fuel cap but only one starts the car but i cant see where there would be a chip in the key so why would this be? i thought it could be a dodgy cut as the one that starts the car still works even if you take the key out of the plastic casing, (the key is falling to bits)

fun fun fun,lol
reptilehunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24th, 2011, 21:35   #25
Lou Ferrigno

I have a November 1999 V40 which I bought in 2005.
It is I believe a phase 1.5
When bought, I was given 2 keys but only 1 remote fob.

In 2005 I bought a new fob from e-bay and took both keys and the old and new fob into a Volvo main dealer.

They took about 30 mins and I know that it cost £38.00
Lou Ferrigno is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Lou Ferrigno For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 9th, 2011, 17:51   #26
baldmosher
moshmobile driver

I've got one fob... amazing how often they get lost. I'm starting to think I should just buy a new fob from VMD in case I lost this one... but from the sounds of Clan's comments above, will I need to buy two new matching fobs from VMD (or if I'm lucky, from eBay with the original code...) since the car is going to have to be reprogrammed to the fobs? Or am I a bit confused about all this?

I recall when I asked last Nov, my local VMD quoted £380 for new set of locks and fobs fitted. I thought that wasn't too bad really considering what you get.
baldmosher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13th, 2011, 15:53   #27
baldmosher
moshmobile driver

Rang local VMD for a quote: £273 all-in, for a fob (£90), blade (key - £30), three softwares on the car, and 1/2hr labour (£53!!!!) for reprogramming. That is beyond painful.

Thankfully my insurance policy covers me for loss of keys, and it doesn't specify that I need to have two of them. That's a much cheaper option as it doesn't cost me anything extra.
Old Sep 13th, 2011, 19:05   #28
Clan
Experienced Member

ask them what exactly the third software is for , you need ignition key application and remote application that's all . each will remove lost keys and add the new ones . There is no car around today with "cheap" keys or programming unfortunatly ..
Old Sep 14th, 2011, 08:54   #29
baldmosher
moshmobile driver

Frankly, for that sort of money, I can't be bothered ringing them back, third software or not! :-)

I've never lost a key in my life, and there's only me who drives, so only need one.

My dad frequently mislays his spare around the house, so I reckon two keys is a false economy anyway ;-)
Old Sep 14th, 2011, 17:26   #30
vtrsean
Seán Harkin

the three softwares as i no it is imobiliser. alarm and the third would be the syncing it all through the ecu? enquired about it myself was advised serious amounts of cash just for a fob n haveing it coded
vtrsean is offline   Reply With Quote