Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 140/164 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

140/164 Series General Forum for the Volvo 140 and 164 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

First Volvo

Views : 3111

Replies : 33

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 12th, 2010, 10:10   #21
john h
VOC Member

http://www.ezpowersteering.nl/index.php?p=0

Or you could fit OE power steering. Although RHD 140s never came with original power steering, left-hand-drive cars did. You could get a kit of used parts sent from the US, where quite lot of later 140s had PAS fitted.

John

john h is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to john h For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 12th, 2010, 18:45   #22
Citizen.Agfa
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by arcturus View Post
I think I read somewhere about an electric power steering conversion. Anyone know about it? I'm a 10 stone weakling!
Yup, what you need is the steering column from, say, a Corsa, complete with control boxes, etc, which you fit in-line by adapting the old column to fit, ie you cut the existing column to length then mate in the power kit.

C.A.
Old Dec 13th, 2010, 08:51   #23
Borderzac

I am sure that I have read somewhere that Australian 140's had power steering?? would fit a UK car without any modification.

My wife has christened my car Marmite!

"You either love it or hate it"

Regards to all

John
Borderzac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13th, 2010, 09:16   #24
Paul240480
Ovlovnut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Borderzac View Post
I am sure that I have read somewhere that Australian 140's had power steering?? would fit a UK car without any modification.

My wife has christened my car Marmite!

"You either love it or hate it"

Regards to all

John
In that case I love it all the more! Volvo's & Marmite two of my favorite things lol
http://moncopainmonchien.jimdo.com/
Paul240480 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13th, 2010, 17:56   #25
john h
VOC Member

Quote:

John

Possibly, but I very much doubt it.

I have a contact in Australia who is the 140/160 registrar for one of the Volvo clubs there. I was thinking of importing a 142GL before I eventually bought my 164, so we talked quite a lot.

We talked about PAS and he never mentioned any OE on RHD 140s. He did tell me about an Australian 140 fitted with 164 power steering (a mod that is much more difficult than you might imagine, because the longer wheelbase on a 164 means all the steering angles are different). It's doubtful anyone would have gone to all that trouble if RHD 140 PAS parts existed.

I can double check with him if you want, but I am 99.9% sure it's a no.

John

Last edited by john h; Dec 13th, 2010 at 18:12.
Old Dec 14th, 2010, 08:50   #26
Borderzac

Thumbs up

Thanks for your efforts John, but I don't think it's worth spending too much time on. What ever we ended up with would prove to be very expensive, on current market values almost as much as a car is worth!!

On the subject of prices, why are they so much cheaper in the UK that the rest of Europe and Scandinavia. Looking on the net they even have a following in the States.

As Paul240480 says, it was cheaper for him to buy a 240 in the UK and ship it back to France, even after the registration charges!

And Paul, next time we are in La Roche Bernard will look out for a French registered right hand drive Volvo, will introduce you to my wife. You can explain the error in her thinking!!

Regards

John
The Following User Says Thank You to Borderzac For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 14th, 2010, 09:04   #27
Paul240480
Ovlovnut

Lol, no pressure then!

& yes do look out for 'Tank' if ever you're in the area
http://moncopainmonchien.jimdo.com/
Paul240480 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14th, 2010, 18:11   #28
john h
VOC Member

Quote:
Thanks for your efforts John, but I don't think it's worth spending too much time on. What ever we ended up with would prove to be very expensive, on current market values almost as much as a car is worth!!
If you are handy at DIY, electric PAS can be done cheaply, using scrap yeard parts - you need to elec column from (say) a corsa or small peugoet/citroen.

But cheaper still is to pump the tyres up and get used to it!

John

Old Dec 14th, 2010, 20:33   #29
guitarman

Hi, very nice car you have there, which has a great period feel to it, the sort of car that wouldn't look out of place in a film. Power steering would be a good mod, although I find my 164s power steering rather vague. Electronic ignition is a good idea and I would fit an isolation switch to the battery.
Personally I think your car is so good I really wouldn't do anymore than that, I think in the long run you would regret loosing it's period charm! Also with such a good example you will tend to lower it's market value! Jimmy
guitarman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15th, 2010, 11:56   #30
Borderzac

Hi
I think I agree with you both, leave as is, I have been driving the old girl since Friday as I am waiting for a new water pump to be fitted to my Mercedes. Parts only arrived yesterday afternoon!!! Its a 1992 300 SL but local dealers don't carry parts on the shelf??

Must admit I don't notice it so much now, still find the clutch heavy though!!

Have a battery isolator fitted Jerry, but don't know about electronic ignition, one of the attractions with classic cars is the lack of electronics.

John