Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S40 / V40 '96-'04 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S40 / V40 '96-'04 General Forum for the Volvo S40 and V40 (Classic) Series from 1995-2004.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

what do you love most about your s/v40

Views : 4175

Replies : 44

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 1st, 2008, 20:43   #21
nobbynormal

It's fast, it's got a loud stereo and the old Bill leave you alone.
nobbynormal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1st, 2008, 21:36   #22
gnhuk
Balding.............

Solidity - i.e. no rattles unlike other cars I've owned when they've passed 100k...
2012 S40D3 R-Design
gnhuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3rd, 2008, 12:32   #23
pringle_addict

Default what do you love most about your s/v40

one final thing which is quite cool (no pun intended) is that on my AC equipped (non CC) 02' V40, there are 2,028 different heating/cooling settings!!!

'02 V40 1.8S - traded in
'10 V50 2.0D R-Design
pringle_addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4th, 2008, 14:50   #24
keithyboy
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pringle_addict View Post
one final thing which is quite cool (no pun intended) is that on my AC equipped (non CC) 02' V40, there are 2,028 different heating/cooling settings!!!
Which goes some way to explaining why I can't quite get it to do what I want!

My personally fave bits are:

1) built in booster seats.
2) home safe lights.
3) when you use the 'screen washers and it does 2-3 sweeps then waits a few seconds to do another to clear the drips.

I've not driven the new S40 (though this will be addressed in a few weeks as we've got one at work) but I don't see how being Ford based is a bad thing. The old Focus was a very good car and the new one is even better.

When our '01 S40 is due for replacement a new shape S40 will be a strong contender.
keithyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5th, 2008, 09:06   #25
DavidMarron

I drove an s40 last year and didn't like it. There was nothing for your cl=utch foot to rest on.

the aircon was good as my g/f is always cold. You could split the heat so we were both comfortable.

Zinngy engine and large boot ( not compatred to a V40!)
DavidMarron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6th, 2008, 13:24   #26
davefc

Wink

I have had both a v40 and now have s40, best cars i have ever owned. Fully speced out, unlike german cars, smooth ride. brilliant.
The only complaint i have is the s40 does not have to boot belts which are fitted to the v40. These are a fantastic inovation.
All cars should be fitted with heated front windscreen (H&S issue and should not be patented to Ford).
Dave
davefc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6th, 2008, 15:20   #27
Robbijay
S60 D5 SE + Winter Pack

Quote:
Originally Posted by davefc View Post
All cars should be fitted with heated front windscreen (H&S issue and should not be patented to Ford).
Dave
This would cause issues with the GPS on my Snooper though, I'd prefer to just ramp up the aircon to the windscreen like the P2 V70/S60
Robbijay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7th, 2008, 18:14   #28
Partypackage

Default Volvo for life

Well, I love our's to bits. I bought it and a New shape y reg Mondeo at the car auctions 3 years ago with the intention of flogging on the one I liked least. Although the Volvo was 6 years older, petrol and not diesel, not as modern looking and needed a few more little bits of effort to get it to top condition, I still kept the Volvo.

I do plenty of motorway trips from London to Manchester, sometimes 3 times a week and found that compared to the Mondeo, it was a far more refined car to drive. Oodles more in cabin gadgets such as the info center. It has lovely leather interior, walnut dash and everything feels well thought out and well made. The ford was just acres of plastic. It's not as fast as the Ford being only a 1.7 but it still effortlessly eats the miles and cruises all day.

My only niggle with it is that it has no rear windscreen wiper (WHY?) which is so annoying on cold, wet mornings reversing off the drive and the cigarette lighter won't accept my jack for the sat nav.

I liked it so much, I went out and bought an old 840 Tank as a daily run about so have now totally crossed over from Ford to Volvo.
Partypackage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7th, 2008, 18:18   #29
Robbijay
S60 D5 SE + Winter Pack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Partypackage View Post
My only niggle with it is that it has no rear windscreen wiper (WHY?)
Loads of you have said this, but i've never known any saloon to have a rear wiper, so you can't hold it against Volvo! (where would a rear wiper go on a saloon anyway?)

If its a V40 then it should have one!
Robbijay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8th, 2008, 22:08   #30
Neo123

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Partypackage View Post
Well, I love our's to bits. I bought it and a New shape y reg Mondeo at the car auctions 3 years ago with the intention of flogging on the one I liked least. Although the Volvo was 6 years older, petrol and not diesel, not as modern looking and needed a few more little bits of effort to get it to top condition, I still kept the Volvo.

I do plenty of motorway trips from London to Manchester, sometimes 3 times a week and found that compared to the Mondeo, it was a far more refined car to drive. Oodles more in cabin gadgets such as the info center. It has lovely leather interior, walnut dash and everything feels well thought out and well made. The ford was just acres of plastic. It's not as fast as the Ford being only a 1.7 but it still effortlessly eats the miles and cruises all day.

My only niggle with it is that it has no rear windscreen wiper (WHY?) which is so annoying on cold, wet mornings reversing off the drive and the cigarette lighter won't accept my jack for the sat nav.

I liked it so much, I went out and bought an old 840 Tank as a daily run about so have now totally crossed over from Ford to Volvo.
you know volvo is basically a ford. GM Motors owns the lot of them, saab, ford, madzas you name em!
Neo123 is offline   Reply With Quote