Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General Forum for the Volvo PV, 120 and 1800 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Air in cooling system

Views : 2723

Replies : 28

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 21st, 2017, 12:16   #21
Derek UK
VOC Member

Cool

My original post was here http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showth...ling+pipe+head

It seems that if you try and scroll back through all of your posts after clicking "Find all of your posts" in your account Statistics, you are limited to 500 posts and that will take you back as far as the date that the earliest one was posted. I post too much so that wasn't very far.
Derek UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21st, 2017, 12:45   #22
Derek UK
VOC Member

Ron, the "Look what I found" big picture is on top of a bunch of useful text. Can you just make the thumbnails clickable to enlarge?

FYI look at this video from 11:25
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5lEdNKLJTAI

Watch this one first https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B0y5qu3cLgg
Old Jan 21st, 2017, 13:14   #23
Ron Kwas
Premier Member

Derek;

Excellent! That thread with its pictures clears it up even better, and I will amend my notes to reflect this...from that thread...the Dist Pipe is essentially round in cross-section, but somewhat formed at the Tstat end, such that it is an interference fit in the Head casting and can be slightly deformed to remain in place rotationally, and this is supposed to be with distribution slots pointing toward exhaust halves.

It seems to me that a slight rattling which might be detectable when Head is off an engine is not unusual as the Cyl 4 end of the pipe is simply in its clearance and not secured there particularly well...but when in-situ and "padded" by surrounding coolant this wouldn't be an issue...what is important is that the pipe be oriented correctly on installation, and deformed to remain in that rotational position, so that coolant flow is as designed, and not exiting the Pipe in the wrong direction...

Derek; I would like to add your pictures to the notes article so request permission to repost.

Cheers

Edit: I will have a look at vids.

Last edited by Ron Kwas; Jan 21st, 2017 at 13:16.
Ron Kwas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21st, 2017, 14:35   #24
Phid

Thanks to everyone's help and advice I've made some progress.

I put the front of the car up on ramps, took the rad cap off and tried to bleed out the air. No luck - air just not shifting from the hose between block and heater valve. So I then tried bypassing the heater control valve - and all is well. Heater core is hot and no apparent leaks.

So it seems the control valve is the problem - I assume the mechanism inside is stuck. There are signs that it has had work done to it in the past with what looks like brazing on the bottom of the vertical. Ready for the bin I think?

So I'm ok for the winter but suspect I will need to address this again before temperatures rise.
Phid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21st, 2017, 18:03   #25
Derek UK
VOC Member

Ron, I nicked the pics off the net, think it was from the Yahoo 1800 forum, so I guess if you use the normal disclaimer and agree to take them down if asked, all should be fine.

From here, are you a member? If not join. Yes 1800 but lots of cross over and the picture folders are a mine of information.

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/...bums/364356465
Old Jan 22nd, 2017, 16:40   #26
Phid

Another update...
I took the car out for a decent long run today. Heater was lovely and warm (of course I couldn't turn it down as control valve bypassed) but it was leaking at the bottom of the heater box. I had the core professionally tested (old school radiator place) - I wonder if it's the slippy waterless coolant finding holes that normal water/antifreeze would not?

Any thoughts out there? How are radiators pressure tested?

Thanks
Old Jan 22nd, 2017, 17:32   #27
Ron Kwas
Premier Member

Phil;

Cooling System components can be individually tested or on a system level...pressure test is typically a "Leakdown Test"...that is pressurize component or system to typical working pressure, plus some margin (for a 50 year old cooling system, I wouldn't go more than 50% over), then monitor pressure for some period of time to see if it drops...obviously any leak would cause this, and size of leak would determine how fast pressure is released.

With Brass Rad and Heater Core, most discontinuities which lead to leaks can be soldered up...sealing goop is a quick and (very) dirty fix that leads to more problems than its worth...so not recommended!

I read further back that you don't suspect a leak based on not finding green Coolant, rather "mud"...I hope you are right...sometimes what comes out of the bottom of Rad of Heater Core can look pretty much like mud...

Cheers
Ron Kwas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22nd, 2017, 17:37   #28
Phid

Thanks for the explanation Ron -

It's definitely green coolant coming out of the bottom of the heater box. Coolant is all very clean due to new waterless coolant system installed by previous owner and a recent engine rebuild.
Old Jan 22nd, 2017, 18:59   #29
simonvolvo

Quote:
Originally Posted by simonvolvo View Post
No, it’s me who got it all wrong.
Well, maybe not. Continued in a new thread.
simonvolvo is offline   Reply With Quote