Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Geartronics What's the point?

Views : 7208

Replies : 70

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 18th, 2010, 13:23   #21
155mph
1st time Volvo Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by r-designbob View Post
Sorry to sound like a dumb ass, but what exactly is DPF and what does it do?
A pain in the back side
155mph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18th, 2010, 14:44   #22
r-designbob
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy_d View Post
DPF > Diesel Particulate Filter >soot trap to you n me.
a EU "brainstorm idea" to reduce the soot thrown out by diesel's

theres Supposed to be a "dpf regeneration cycle" every so often, whereby extra fuel is spat into the engine on exhaust to burn off the soot from the filter. but unless the engine is a/ hot enough b/ revs are at X level for Y time it doesnt work.
it then ends up clogging the soot filter > light on dash ,,limp mode and off to the dealer you go for manual regeneration, £££ and a pile of aggro.
also it appears if it doesnt fully work due to speed/revs/temp/time at speed+revs/someother random factors then the Extra fuel spat in can find its way back into the sump. Raises the oil level and could result in a runaway engine.
all in all a Really "clever" idea by the EU and it Has to be fitted to all new diesel engines of a certain "rating" for soot/emissions/carbon footprint.
So would it help to add Red X or similar every so often?
Old Jun 18th, 2010, 15:36   #23
wimorrison
Grumpy Old Sod

Quote:
Originally Posted by chunderground View Post
If you wish to keep the DPF clear of soot you need to run the car at 3000 to 3500 revs for 15- 20 mins every 300 - 400 miles.
A motorway run does not help because at 70 mph in sixth gear revs are still low. Geartronic allows you to drive at these revs by choosing your gear.

You may think I am off topic here but it is essential to do this if you use car for school runs and gentle driving.

If Dpf clogs car goes into limp mode - big hassle
Chunderground

I notice that you provide the same answer to my question in the general forum http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=98170 and wonder where you found this definitive information?

I have been asking Volvo for this and they have not been able to give such clear info, and most references talk about regular, sufficient, frequent etc without providing objective statements as you do.

Thanks
wimorrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18th, 2010, 15:36   #24
andy_d
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by r-designbob View Post
So would it help to add Red X or similar every so often?
i Really have no clue if redx or similar would help or make it worse.
the best i can offer is a logical look at how they (redx/etc) and a particulate filter may interact , and i stand to be 100% wrong on this.

Usually that type of injector / upper engine cleaner gets rid of the deposits on / in the inlet tract (and a bit from the exhaust tract) by breaking them down and blowing them out the end of the pipe, now unless it does this to smaller particals than the DPF filters screen size it could be argued that it may make it worse, cleaning out "extra" bits of soot/carbon from the engine into the filter faster.
The Following User Says Thank You to andy_d For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 18th, 2010, 17:35   #25
wimorrison
Grumpy Old Sod

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy_d View Post
i Really have no clue if redx or similar would help or make it worse.
the best i can offer is a logical look at how they (redx/etc) and a particulate filter may interact , and i stand to be 100% wrong on this.

Usually that type of injector / upper engine cleaner gets rid of the deposits on / in the inlet tract (and a bit from the exhaust tract) by breaking them down and blowing them out the end of the pipe, now unless it does this to smaller particals than the DPF filters screen size it could be argued that it may make it worse, cleaning out "extra" bits of soot/carbon from the engine into the filter faster.
I have to agree with you, a quick scan of the net shows as many people saying that redex (and the like) helped them as people complaining that they had to get the DPF renewed because redex screwed it up

I know that some fords have an additive that you have to replace every year or so that puts some stuff in the fuel to make the DFP work better - maybe this is redex whateevr it is the DPF is also designed to work with it, in fact it won't work without it, which leads me to think that if Volvo haven't added the 'extra' like Ford it is not required and may not be beneficial
wimorrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18th, 2010, 20:47   #26
chunderground
xc90 exec black+privacy

Quote:
Originally Posted by wimorrison View Post
Chunderground

I notice that you provide the same answer to my question in the general forum http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=98170 and wonder where you found this definitive information?

I have been asking Volvo for this and they have not been able to give such clear info, and most references talk about regular, sufficient, frequent etc without providing objective statements as you do.

Thanks
have looked at hundreds of threads on dpf on all makes of vehicle and the same messages and information is coming from all directions. The DPF needs to to reach 500 centigrade for at least 15 mins to burn off soot the only way it can reach this temperature is by the engine working hard or by going into regeneration (extra fuel in the exhaust stroke). The six speed auto box does not allow the engine to work hard enough on motorway runs and around town who can work the engine hard for extended periods without getting a ticket.
~Volvo and all other manufacturers are unwilling to suggest driving style changes as it would harm sales. The AA give advice on changing driving habits and even suggest petrol engines for people driving short distances.
If you google enough the information is out there but nobody in the industry wants to discuss it as it is a potential sales killer(like why not keep my older pre DPF diesel)

Last edited by chunderground; Jun 18th, 2010 at 23:37.
chunderground is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to chunderground For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 18th, 2010, 22:03   #27
r-designbob
Premier Member

Lets hope the powers to be @ Volvo are reading this. Perhaps they'll sort it out somehow
Old Jun 18th, 2010, 23:35   #28
chunderground
xc90 exec black+privacy

All evidence points to the fact that low soot fuel with no bio diesel added ie shell v-power solves the problem.

So probably best to live with 6p per litre more for fuel.
Old Jun 19th, 2010, 00:44   #29
r-designbob
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chunderground View Post
All evidence points to the fact that low soot fuel with no bio diesel added ie shell v-power solves the problem.

So probably best to live with 6p per litre more for fuel.
Interesting. I was asking about Shell V in a thread earlier.
http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=98018

Shell:
http://www.shell.com/home/Framework?.../advanced.html

Last edited by r-designbob; Jun 19th, 2010 at 00:57.
r-designbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 19th, 2010, 02:04   #30
chunderground
xc90 exec black+privacy

well I paid 31k for the car and think its great car so 6p per litre seems worth it to me.
Reading other threads drivers of other makes driving older cars report no black smoke when using V-power. I am using it now will report back on mpg and whether I get oil level rising problems / soot filter full in the future.

Last edited by chunderground; Jun 19th, 2010 at 02:09.