Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Transmission problems - solutions

Views : 16822

Replies : 51

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 20th, 2012, 12:58   #21
TurboZutek
Premier Member

I love the CSI style photoshop work, nice one!

So can this end cover be removed and the remedial work done whilst the transmission is still in the car?

I always thought it odd that some of the rebuild kits in Canada specify this cover and bearing assembly as an optional rebuild part: now it makes sense!

Chris...
Old Apr 20th, 2012, 13:20   #22
dera
Shark Performance

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboZutek View Post
I love the CSI style photoshop work, nice one!

So can this end cover be removed and the remedial work done whilst the transmission is still in the car?

I always thought it odd that some of the rebuild kits in Canada specify this cover and bearing assembly as an optional rebuild part: now it makes sense!

Chris...
I use high tech tools, this time it was MS Paint

Yes, it can be checked and fixed when its still in place, although if the bearing is toast, I would always remove the trans because that will mean there'll be metal flakes going around the gearbox.
t: 01623 332233

Follow us on facebook: www.facebook.com/sharkperformance
dera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20th, 2012, 14:04   #23
TurboZutek
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dera View Post
I use high tech tools, this time it was MS Paint

Yes, it can be checked and fixed when its still in place, although if the bearing is toast, I would always remove the trans because that will mean there'll be metal flakes going around the gearbox.
Yeah... I wonder if it would be possible to catch before it became too bad... I'd think before the bearing totally lets go it would slip around in the mount a little.

Interesting stuff!

Chris...
Old Apr 21st, 2012, 22:37   #24
yevgeniy

Angry news about c70

Has nothibg to do with transmission, dealer i got the car from, told me that they will have all documents for it end of this week, so all i have to do is stop by to pick them up! Not uncommon in this country. Went there today, and the whole car lot is closed, no more dealership, new owner was doing a clean up. Told me that the guys i got the car from skipped town!!!!! This is turning out to be the most interesting car i ever owned
yevgeniy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24th, 2012, 17:20   #25
yevgeniy

Red face

Sitting here at the dealership, bored to hell, already ticked off most of the service guys by asking different questions about prices and all, keeping my fingers crossed that the fluid change will sort out the shift flaring issue
Old Apr 24th, 2012, 17:35   #26
JamesV70R
Forum Support Team

If this is the same box thats in my 99 R AWD (5-speed adaptive auto - AW 50-55 SN if I remember right) - the only real fix for the flaring is a rebuild.

My car had the box rebuilt at a cost of around £2000 by the previous owner.

Once the fluid change is done, ask the dealership to re-adapt the box and make sure its got all the latest software updates. I believe the later software ups the pressure the box runs at so the clutches grip better. (Don't quote me on that - can't remember where I heard it!)
JamesV70R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24th, 2012, 18:00   #27
yevgeniy

All the latest software is in already, i am trying to find a cure without rebuilding, there has got to be one, my next step would be the valve body/linear solenoids, if clean/original fluid doesnt solve the issue. As the fluid that is in is the wrong kind and is specified not to be put in 5 speed volvo. Found out that flares are caused by gunk in the AT, hoping for the best. No major updates will be done to it untill i know for sure that i can register it .
Old Apr 24th, 2012, 18:39   #28
yevgeniy

Talking

New fluid is in, on way home it shifted fast and proper, more agressive than it was before, so lower torque mount will solve the rest. It is completely perished - so far - so good
Old Apr 24th, 2012, 20:13   #29
yevgeniy

Longer test drive revealed no shift flares, driving carefully as i always did before seems to be completely perfect, and a lot more responsive. under harder acceleration do feel a small kick (lower torque mount - which just happened to be on back order, so no idea when it will arrive) and a few felt downshifts - also same reason. looks like expensive rebuilt has been avoided- fingers crossed though.

I hear that after Fluid change it takes some time for transmission to adapt to new (proper ) fluid, and that shifts will smooth out over a weeks time or so.
Is that true?
Seems to shift perfect to me. maybe its just because i got used to a bad shifting trans?
Also dealer used a different fluid than i expected, it was only 7$ per quart, and also said to be synthetic?
I mean i know its supposed to be Mobil 3309 which isn't synthetic, but its good at the moment
will see how it goes after a bit more driving

Hope this helps someone.

Last edited by yevgeniy; Apr 24th, 2012 at 20:23.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to yevgeniy For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 25th, 2012, 00:38   #30
TurboZutek
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yevgeniy View Post
I hear that after Fluid change it takes some time for transmission to adapt to new (proper ) fluid, and that shifts will smooth out over a weeks time or so.
Is that true?
Depends, some boxes I've done have shifted smooth as silk after a flush and then gradually over 200 or so miles started to jerk and shift like sh!t again. I guess it all depends on what the original problem was to begin with.

Quote:
Also dealer used a different fluid than i expected, it was only 7$ per quart, and also said to be synthetic?
Now that is VERY interesting. Can you find out what kind? There's a lively debate elsewhere on the forum about using the much more cost-effective PETROCAN MV instead of 3309. If you are actually running that right now, there are a few people who would love to hear how it goes!

Quote:
Hope this helps someone.
Excellent stuff matey, keep it coming!!

Chris...