Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S40 / V40 '96-'04 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S40 / V40 '96-'04 General Forum for the Volvo S40 and V40 (Classic) Series from 1995-2004.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Lights

Views : 3030

Replies : 55

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 26th, 2012, 19:30   #21
andy_d
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSeaman View Post
There's nothing behind the nearside bolster but the offside has a big multiplug - any idea what should be where on that plug???

I have buzzed through the rear light multiplug and everything is ground on it even with the lights on

I'm going to fire 12V into a few of the wires from the light switch to see what happens but again, if anyone knows what voltages should be on what wires then now's a good time to shout up!

Worrying that Every lead/line goes to ground ?
are you able to buzz From the multi plug To the light clusters? ,pop the bulbs, there Shoulnd't be "gnd" on every single line,, unless theres Something like a self tapper/similar thats gone into the loom/body ..

the only wiring diag i have is for a 2000 on V/S40 sorry,
Old Jan 26th, 2012, 20:07   #22
JSeaman

OK I'll start by confessing my most blonde moment in living history. Two questions have been answered:

1. Why aren't there enough bulbs
2. Why do my fog lights and reverse lights come and go

If you go and look at the back of the volvo you will see a number of lights. Open the boot and that number drops

I must have found the rev and fog lights failing when I was working on it with the boot open then magically returning when I closed it and went out again! Muppet!!

So now I'm left with the following problems:

1. I have no front side lights, never did have though
2. I have no rear side lights, new problem that I need to fix immediately
3. I have no dash lights and could really do with it - that wire link could have been a bodge someone did, I don't know. I didn't (again stupidly) note down where they were shorting on the fog light switch (right hand connector in the pic I posted) but could this have made them work?
Old Jan 26th, 2012, 20:08   #23
JSeaman

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy_d View Post
are you able to buzz From the multi plug To the light clusters? ,pop the bulbs, there Shoulnd't be "gnd" on every single line,, unless theres Something like a self tapper/similar thats gone into the loom/body ..

The lights that are actually in there are:

1. Indicators (switched live so that's fine to be ground with everything off) - these work
2. Brake lights (as above, switched live and work)
3. Tail lights - broken!
Old Jan 26th, 2012, 20:38   #24
JSeaman

Right, final update for this evening - I have a twin tail light model!!

I changed the two inners (in the boot lid) and I now have tail lights, well half of them at least! My problems in order of priority

1. No dash illumination at all, the 10A fuse is OK
2. No front sidelights
3. No rear outer sidelights

Please tell me there's an electronics whizz on here somewhere ...
Old Jan 26th, 2012, 22:27   #25
madmodder

as i sed before i dont own a v40 yet, but you need to test the out puts from the switch if there is no current from the switch then there will be no light, im guessing the the switch has the relays in it, so if one has short open or closed then that line will not work or permently work, if its not the fuse's im hoping you test for current accross the blade holders, only 2 things it can be are other relays located somewhere else of a fault in the wiring.
madmodder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26th, 2012, 22:29   #26
JSeaman

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmodder View Post
as i sed before i dont own a v40 yet, but you need to test the out puts from the switch if there is no current from the switch then there will be no light, im guessing the the switch has the relays in it, so if one has short open or closed then that line will not work or permently work, if its not the fuse's im hoping you test for current accross the blade holders, only 2 things it can be are other relays located somewhere else of a fault in the wiring.
The switch is purely mechanical by the looks of things, no relays etc. I can't test for current without knowing which wires to test unforuntately!

I'm thinking the wiring loom under the rad as the next port of call, will have a check and see what it's like
Old Jan 26th, 2012, 22:39   #27
madmodder

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSeaman View Post
The switch is purely mechanical by the looks of things, no relays etc. I can't test for current without knowing which wires to test unforuntately!

I'm thinking the wiring loom under the rad as the next port of call, will have a check and see what it's like
ok pull the switch out and look for a ground, make sure the lights are switched off, set mm to 12v dc place the black probe on a good know earth. dont discounect the plugs from the switch but prob the back of the switch till you find 1 or multiple live feeds, make a note of where they are as this is the power in. next turn the light to side lights and probe around again till you find the new volts out, but dont test the ones you have already done. make a note of them next turn on the headlights and do the same ignoring the ones you have already tested and make notes, then do the same for the front fogs and rear fogs. if at anystep you find no new lives then there is something wrong with the switch, if you find all the lives and there are only a handfull you have not tested check to make sure those guys are your earth using continuity, once you can rule out the switch you need to move to the next step.

matt
Old Jan 26th, 2012, 22:44   #28
madmodder

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy_d View Post

if the switch was in the on position when it was test then you would get contanuity to ground as the circuit is complete
Old Jan 26th, 2012, 22:47   #29
madmodder

oh forgot to add dash lights will be the same circuit as the sidelights and prob the same as the side running lights. so i would imagine a minimum of 4 or possible 5 lives in the sidelight position. cant be sure as i dont know how its wired.

sorry if my typing seems a little strong. im tierd and feeling grumpy

matt

Last edited by madmodder; Jan 26th, 2012 at 22:51.
Old Jan 26th, 2012, 23:33   #30
JSeaman

Matt, I realise I could probe every wire of the 20 odd pin connector in the 3 switch positions but was hoping for a more intelligent approach i.e. there should be voltage on wire x, check it!!

Also, are the running lights on the same feed? I expected so and they still work so I doubt this will give me positive confirmation of much.

Sadly I'm not making much progress elsewhere, the loom under the rad looked fine, the only anomoly was a blue/black wire which has some kind of patch in it but I don't know if this is standard?