Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

anybody else broken a 1041 axle !?!?!?!

Views : 5468

Replies : 49

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 1st, 2012, 14:02   #21
smithy
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerthechorister View Post
I'm not going dragging! Is that 3:31 good and where is it and how much?
Most of the later 1041 lockers are 3.31 mate
smithy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2nd, 2012, 10:34   #22
volvoz2000
Premier Member

update on this aswell.... swapped in another welded 1031 last night. Looking down the tube of the broken side it seems the bearing on the diff carrier has broken up also. My theory is that as the axle had been whining (I thought this was normal for a welded diff) due to the bearing breaking up which in turn caused "whip" in the shaft hence it didn't shear off straight. In short it looks like it may not have been down to a weak shaft but a bad bearing
volvoz2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2nd, 2012, 22:22   #23
rockheadrumble

ah right, well i guess thats good to know.

i would say the locker mod is as easy as welding it, it only takes an hour to do it once the plates off and diff out.

if its just a drift car i would stick with it welded, its so much easier to initiate the drift. iv tried drifting mine with the diff mod recently and i get a lot of understeer, most likely cos its so long and heavy though, it just wants to keep ploughing forward!! a set of good tyres on the front and sh1ters on the back should sort it though.
rockheadrumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3rd, 2012, 09:17   #24
gofaster_740

Once the diffs are welded the half shafts become about as strong as carrots, I have 4 axles sitting around the back of the workshop with broken half shafts.
gofaster_740 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to gofaster_740 For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 3rd, 2012, 09:19   #25
volvoz2000
Premier Member

Any idea whether there is an issue with doing a different mod on a 1041?? I.e just take the plate off, pull the pawl out with a bar and weld it in place????

We found dry drifting with the welded quite easy, it was the rain that caused all the understeer resulting in the need for hydro handbrake use
volvoz2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3rd, 2012, 12:04   #26
smithy
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by volvoz2000 View Post
Any idea whether there is an issue with doing a different mod on a 1041?? I.e just take the plate off, pull the pawl out with a bar and weld it in place????

We found dry drifting with the welded quite easy, it was the rain that caused all the understeer resulting in the need for hydro handbrake use
It is easier to cut some of the weight off mate .my 940 would drift around any round about if I wanted it to lol.and drag racing now is spot on no going side ways when I put my foot down
Old Oct 3rd, 2012, 12:18   #27
Steve940estate
Steam Driven PC Owner.

I found on my car that despite the fact it goes against what is the normal thing to do the fitting of a stiffer front anti roll bar has helped. A lot of the problem is down to the amount of weight transfer to the outside front wheel.
For a track car you really need much stiffer front springs and possibly no front bar. I don't think anything available off the shelf is anywhere near stiff enough. Look at increasing the camber and possibly the caster.

Would an extra rear antiroll bar or thicker one help in the wet ?
Steve940estate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3rd, 2012, 15:35   #28
smithy
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve940estate View Post
I found on my car that despite the fact it goes against what is the normal thing to do the fitting of a stiffer front anti roll bar has helped. A lot of the problem is down to the amount of weight transfer to the outside front wheel.
For a track car you really need much stiffer front springs and possibly no front bar. I don't think anything available off the shelf is anywhere near stiff enough. Look at increasing the camber and possibly the caster.

Would an extra rear antiroll bar or thicker one help in the wet ?
I have ipd bars on mine and I will see what it is like next year at Caldwell racetrack .last at silverstone I managed to get the front mudflap to touch the floor with standard anti roll bars lol
Old Oct 3rd, 2012, 16:26   #29
rogerthechorister
Rogerthechorister

Default Understeer?

I must admit I'd have assumed reduced front roll stiffness and increased rear would have made it easier to get the back out. I'd also have assumed going to negative camber on the front (but have fun retaining a sensible scrub radius) would have reduced understeer. Adding caster I would have thought would inhibit turn-in. But since I don't really get the point of drift, since unlike lap times it is not measurable but aesthetic (sort of like water ballet without the women), I may not be the best commentator here.
rogerthechorister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3rd, 2012, 17:18   #30
smithy
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerthechorister View Post
I must admit I'd have assumed reduced front roll stiffness and increased rear would have made it easier to get the back out. I'd also have assumed going to negative camber on the front (but have fun retaining a sensible scrub radius) would have reduced understeer. Adding caster I would have thought would inhibit turn-in. But since I don't really get the point of drift, since unlike lap times it is not measurable but aesthetic (sort of like water ballet without the women), I may not be the best commentator here.
I don't do drifting mate I like my tyres thanks