Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

First time towing the caravan - any tips pls?

Views : 2574

Replies : 31

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 7th, 2012, 06:52   #21
volvocamper
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by REDSHEEPRIDD View Post
I've towed my twin axle (1600kg) about 5k/year for the last three years and mines a 163 auto.
It really is a great tow car and doesnt get upset on the road.

You dont give your mileage, so my only warning would be the intercooler - mine went at 80K (only slight oil leak on the underside of the front skid plate - but that was enough).

OH - and the front discs & pads - 2 years is good!
20k miles and all went well.
volvocamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 7th, 2012, 07:00   #22
outnumbered
Lunatic from Wakefield

good now enjoy yourself with the family
Old Apr 7th, 2012, 07:06   #23
volvocamper
Master Member

Well we got the trailer (dont like to mention the C word!!!!!) home yesterday afternoon from Northamptonshire to Norfolk with no dramas at all. New mirrors (as recc on here Milenco grand aero's) were v good, checked the tyre pressures and adjusted accordingly, checked wheel nut torque settings, checked it was hooked on properly and break away cable attached and home we came at max 60mph with no dramas at all (didnt weigh nose as was completely empty).
Only time car struggled a bit was up a steep hill 1/4 mile from where collected and engine was cold but was from a dead stop as had to turn right at foot of road hill was on, after that pretty straightforward really. It didnt pitch and roll the '90 as much as I thought it wd, guess due to fact it is a twin axle model?
Car seemed most comfortable at 60mph and as others have said by time I got home it was almost 2nd nature.
Has a Powrtouch 4 wheel mover so could get it into drive relatively easily with several shunts back/forth but a) was first time I had ever used one, b) was dark by time we got home and c) was drizzling heavily.

Many, many thanks to all for the helpful tips and advice - it really helped my confidence.

Maybe Volcocamper shd now become Volvovanner??? Anybody looking for a superb 6 man tent???
Old Apr 7th, 2012, 07:59   #24
outnumbered
Lunatic from Wakefield

be very carefull, my caravan empty has a nose weight of 95 kg,thats on a bailey, some caravans empty have a much higher nose weight .
mike
Old Apr 7th, 2012, 23:20   #25
volvocamper
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by outnumbered View Post
be very carefull, my caravan empty has a nose weight of 95 kg,thats on a bailey, some caravans empty have a much higher nose weight .
mike
Thx Mike, wasnt aware of that, am newby with caravan. Got it home now and will now pack it as best I can, weigh hitch and then see where we are before 1st use 'in anger'.
Old Apr 8th, 2012, 12:06   #26
ex Triumph Man

One of the most important things you must remember is to read the road ahead and allow extra braking distance.
ex Triumph Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8th, 2012, 22:31   #27
volvocamper
Master Member

Thx ex Triumph Man, yes can see sense in that although I am amazed how well the car/caravan does seem to stop - its a twin wheel caravan with a MIRO of 1600kg but brakes on all 4 trailer wheels so guess that helps to bring it to a stop.
I think I am afraid of damaging the car by pulling so much weight, I am aware I am within the 85% towing rule but is an XC 90 able to withstand towing 1600kg (which is likely to be 1700kg+ when kitted out inside, + 2 adults, 1 teenager and 1 9yr old inside isnt it?) in the longer term - dont want to over-stress it.
Also can anyone confirm if my car which is standard has self levelling rear suspension please (MY10 185 R-Design Geartronic)? This caravan does sit nice and level I have to say, even after my concerns that the tow bar on this car seems high compared with other vehicles.
Old Apr 9th, 2012, 08:48   #28
outnumbered
Lunatic from Wakefield

you will not damage the car even at 1700 kg, the kids, dogs, and all the other rubbish that you take.
my v70 when fully loaded with the 1700kg caravan two retrivers and 2 adults pulls it all day long.just remember that you van has a payload limit, have a look at the caravan forum link that i posted and enjoy yourself. i understand your concern but give yourself a bit of slack or you will be packing it in before you go anywhere.
mike
The Following User Says Thank You to outnumbered For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 9th, 2012, 22:26   #29
volvorocks
Rodney

Quote:
Originally Posted by ex Triumph Man View Post
One of the most important things you must remember is to read the road ahead and allow extra braking distance.
Yes very true!.

Its also a must to avoid the plebs that overtake you only to then swerve in front of you to exit left.

Some people see a caravan and its like a 'mission to pass' at all costs!!

Regards
volvorocks is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to volvorocks For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 10th, 2012, 13:21   #30
stonehenge

Most things have been covered. In answer to your question - all 7 seat XC90's have self levelling, which means that all UK cars do. It is the Nivomat (sp?) type.

The only things I would say is load up your car with weight, so if you can, put the awning etc in the car not the van to keep the car weight as high as possible. This means that the car is in charge not the 'van if you see what I mean.

Also, if you come face to face with another car or something on the road. Stop and stay stopped. It is very tricky to reverse a 'van on the road safely, let the car sort itself out while you wait. If you come face to face with a coach or a lorry, same rules apply - let the pro driver do the sorting out, they are better at it!
stonehenge is offline   Reply With Quote