Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

convert my xc90 to 2wd?

Views : 6255

Replies : 37

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 8th, 2016, 09:25   #21
zakmuh

Hi guys.

I'm looking for the option of converting a XC90 into 2WD. This would be my project car.

xc90fubar please would you (or anyone) update this thread whether or not you've managed to run the car with 2WD conversion without any issues.

Cheers
zakmuh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8th, 2016, 12:30   #22
zakmuh

My insurance Aviva is okay with this modification:

'Thanks for waiting. We can accept this and there will be no extra price to what you have been quoted online. You can go ahead and accept the online quote as we have left full notes to say we are aware that it is being converted to 2WD and we are happy to accept that on normal terms'

Happy days!!!

From my research, disabling traction control does not disable or affect the operation of the ABS...

Some readings: http://new.volvocars.com/ownersdocs/...05xc90_06b.htm

http://www.aa1car.com/library/traction_control.htm
Old Jun 8th, 2016, 21:28   #23
Tannaton
Bungling Amateur

Quote:
Originally Posted by zakmuh View Post

'Thanks for waiting. We can accept this and there will be no extra price to what you have been quoted online. You can go ahead and accept the online quote as we have left full notes to say we are aware that it is being converted to 2WD and we are happy to accept that on normal terms'

Happy days!!!

From my research, disabling traction control does not disable or affect the operation of the ABS...

Just a couple of thoughts from me:

- Whilst your insurers are okay with converting to 2WD (common practice on old Freelanders) have you told them that this also means disabling parts of the safety systems - roll stability control etc.?

- There are four parts to what is "traction control" - this is documented in the manual - when you turn of DTSC by pressing the switch on the dash you are turning off only the Stability Control (also known as Spin Control) - this is a method where the engine power is reduced to prevent excessive wheel spin. The Roll Stability Control, Active Yaw Control and Traction Control remain active. However if the system has a fault (i.e. you have removed the DEM) and you get the Anti-Skid message - all of these systems can be disabled.

The normal ABS system operates in addition to the above, so testing that ABS still works does not mean that other safety systems are.
1977 Triumph Spitfire 1500
1976 Massey Ferguson 135

Last edited by Tannaton; Jun 8th, 2016 at 21:30.
Tannaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10th, 2016, 11:26   #24
zakmuh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tannaton View Post
... have you told them that this also means disabling parts of the safety systems - roll stability control etc.?
No, I haven't! I'll give them a shout.

Are these two functions, AYC and RSC fitted into DEM/Haldex or located somewhere else?
Old Jun 10th, 2016, 12:54   #25
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
No, I haven't! I'll give them a shout.

Are these two functions, AYC and RSC fitted into DEM/Haldex or located somewhere else?
No they are part of the ABS control unit but use inputs from Those units you mention .. It is one big integrated system getting signals from all over the car . and acting on the brakes , gearbox and engine .
Old Jun 10th, 2016, 15:01   #26
zakmuh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clan View Post
No they are part of the ABS control unit but use inputs from Those units you mention .. It is one big integrated system getting signals from all over the car . and acting on the brakes , gearbox and engine .
Cheers Clan,

Can I not just remove the pop shaft and leave the rest of the stuff as it is?
Old Jun 10th, 2016, 15:34   #27
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Cheers Clan,

Can I not just remove the pop shaft and leave the rest of the stuff as it is?
not without affecting the action of the dynamic safety systems as the system cannot control power going to the rear wheels . The front wheel drive XC90 in America will have different software and just STC rather than DSTC the advanced system we have .

with your bodged front wheel drive , if you are cornering and the rear end starts sliding out into a spin for what ever reason , thats what it will do , spin. With the rear wheels able to drive too , the engine can add more power or take some power away from the rear wheels to straighten out teh car for you and prevent the spin . Thats just a simple way of explaining a system which does a lot more than just that to keep you on the road .
I am very surprised the insurance agreed to this , they obviously have no idea what you have or how it works ..
Old Jun 10th, 2016, 15:40   #28
RoyMacDonald
VOC Member

Quote:

Happy days!!!

Although the traction control switch says off on it the TC is never turned off but changed by using the switch.

Although there are FWD XC90's they run different software that takes account of the lack of the AWD components and to run safely I think you would need to have that software installed but I'm not sure Volvo do it for the D5.

I also think the error message means that you may fail the MOT.
Old Jun 10th, 2016, 23:44   #29
Tannaton
Bungling Amateur

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyMacDonald View Post
Although the traction control switch says off on it the TC is never turned off but changed by using the switch.

Although there are FWD XC90's they run different software that takes account of the lack of the AWD components and to run safely I think you would need to have that software installed but I'm not sure Volvo do it for the D5.

I also think the error message means that you may fail the MOT.
I *think* he will get away with it on the MOT, it covers the ABS and/or ESC system warning lamps only - not any messages shown on the dash. Technically it could be failed as parts of the ESC system have been removed, but 99% of testers are not likely to pick that up.
1976 Massey Ferguson 135
The Following User Says Thank You to Tannaton For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 10th, 2016, 23:56   #30
Tannaton
Bungling Amateur

I've just re-read this thread. To the OP zakmuh - why do you want to convert your XC90 to 2WD anyway? I don't think you have ever said?

As we have covered this would compromise some of the safety features on the car. Although it may be the case that the chances of this causing an accident are small - these are the days when police can download data from airbag and other systems on cars to establish speed of impact etc. - a missing rear differential and a large hole where is used to be would be obvious. The risk may be small but the consequences could be life changing for you and others.
1976 Massey Ferguson 135