Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 140/164 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

140/164 Series General Forum for the Volvo 140 and 164 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Spare wheel well

Views : 3062

Replies : 31

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 13th, 2012, 13:41   #21
arcturus
arcturus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy Smalls View Post
sorry for going off topic Arcturus, though it sounds like you solved the problem, but whilst there are some pictures of the boot on show, can anyone tell me if the (what looks like plastic) boot hinge 'struts' are obtainable? one of my has burst and it's spring is hanging out - no sign of the end of it. When I say 'strut' I mean 'piston' 'damper' ????
Or is there a way of fixing them? I did notice these are rivetted on, so that make prove tricky too

cheers
OK, I've had a look. If my memory serves me well the rear end (facing from back to front of car) of the strut only clips onto the rear fixing. The front is held by "spring" rive which you would need to remove with a suitable tool, Drift etc.
My strut came adrift at the rear some time ago and had to be fastened back on by compresing the strut and releasing it onto the clip. I hope that's understandable.
Old Feb 13th, 2012, 13:45   #22
arcturus
arcturus

Different tyres for different markets! The tyres are in good nick but I'm not sure of the date. Will do untill I can afford a set of whitewalls.
Old Feb 13th, 2012, 15:14   #23
arcturus
arcturus

Got me thinking. couldn't find date code. So when did Goodyear grand prix S cease production tried googling but couldnt find info. Factory in Brazil which has close trading ties with Portugal. Maybe still manufactured there. Also factory in Portugal. Will post question on "general volvo topics"

Last edited by arcturus; Feb 13th, 2012 at 15:16.
arcturus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13th, 2012, 18:45   #24
john h
VOC Member

I'm surprised that a 165 doesn't fit in the well - can't explain it really unless a replacement well has been fitted incorrectly in the past?

john h is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to john h For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 14th, 2012, 18:57   #25
Derek UK
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by arcturus View Post
Got me thinking. couldn't find date code. So when did Goodyear grand prix S cease production tried googling but couldnt find info. Factory in Brazil which has close trading ties with Portugal. Maybe still manufactured there. Also factory in Portugal. Will post question on "general volvo topics"
Put "tyre age codes" into Google and you should find an answer.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tirete....jsp?techid=11

http://www.carbibles.com/tyre_bible.html
Derek UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19th, 2012, 13:56   #26
guitarman

I'd agree with Sillen963- the first area to rot on these cars are those wheel wells. I'd say they've been replaced without thought as to their purpose. Is the other side better? My offside well was fine, nearside holed. Jimmy
guitarman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22nd, 2012, 09:27   #27
Audrey Old
VOC Member

Default Tyre doesn't fit

Just a thought on the original problem. My mudflap brackets bolt to the forward slope of the spare wheel wells, and I tore one off when reversing on a 3-point turn onto a high kerb the other day. Yesterday I replaced it, and after refitting the spare in the well couldn't shut the boot lid. I fitted shorter bolts but it was still tight THEN I saw that my towbar front mounting plate (about 2" square) was in that well too.
I concluded this didn't help the space problem at all, but of course can't do anything about that. Therefore I don't strap the spare wheel in the well but lean it away from the hinge so the lid can shut easily.

Not ideal but it works.

Paul
Audrey Old is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Audrey Old For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 19th, 2012, 17:38   #28
asjesus

Quote:
Originally Posted by arcturus View Post
This is what I mean. It's no big deal just carying it in the boot, loose, But I like to get things right!
That gas spring (see post #10) is original or it's new? I am looking this part but can't find.
Old Apr 20th, 2012, 07:06   #29
john h
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by asjesus View Post
That gas spring (see post #10) is original or it's new? I am looking this part but can't find.
I have a spare one of this type that you can have, original (from 1973 164) but working ok. Let me know if you want it. Free of charge, just pay postage.

John

john h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20th, 2012, 10:29   #30
Billy Smalls
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by john h View Post
I have a spare one of this type that you can have, original (from 1973 164) but working ok. Let me know if you want it. Free of charge, just pay postage.

John
I'm after exactly the same thing, mine has exploded - the spring's flown out of the end and is no where to be seen. Have to prop the boot open with a stick!!!

If you have a second - or asjesus doesn't take you up on the offer - would be most grateful. Will happily stick some £££ in the post too!!

cheers
Billy Smalls is offline   Reply With Quote