Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Can't remove AWD fluid pump - Haldex 4

Views : 3094

Replies : 35

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 25th, 2020, 06:22   #21
drjarmin

Got the 6 bolts out but can't get the prop shaft to drop. It keeps snagging. Don't want to force it - any suggestions?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Propshaft.jpg (58.8 KB, 31 views)

Last edited by drjarmin; Apr 25th, 2020 at 08:58.
drjarmin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25th, 2020, 09:37   #22
S60D5-185
Me ? Surely Not!

Location: 2007 Volvo XC90 D5 Geartronic. South of Hadrians Wall.

Yes, with that larger type flange you may have to go underneath to the middle of the car and remove the bolts that hold the centre propshaft carrier to the floor.

Once done it will allow the centre of the prop to drop further and in turn allow the rear to slide free. ( 10 min job and good access.}

You do realise though that the rear CV joint ( the stuck bit ) can slide forward a little way on the propshaft splines?

Try that first and if no go, remove those centre carrier bolts and it will come out.

You are very nearly there.👍

2007 Volvo XC90 D5 SE Geartronic

Last edited by S60D5-185; Apr 25th, 2020 at 09:47.
S60D5-185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25th, 2020, 10:13   #23
drjarmin

Took out the 4 bolts in the image with the red arrows but hasn't made any difference.

Are you referring to the bolts near the joint in the propshaft above the exhaust (shown by the blue arrows). If I take this bolt out anything above that will slip or do I just bolt back together? Access is really tight due to the exhaust.

The prop shaft needs to go back a good 2 - 3 centimeters to be able to drop past the flange - even when pulled back up the spline :-(. Will undoing the bolts shown by the blue arrow allow the prop shaft to move back?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Red Arrow.jpg (69.1 KB, 35 views)
File Type: jpg Blue Arrow.jpg (63.2 KB, 30 views)
Old Apr 25th, 2020, 12:07   #24
S60D5-185
Me ? Surely Not!

Yes, the four bolts go through that heat shield and then through the centre prop bearing carrier.

Slide the heat shield out of the way and it will reveal the carrier. You only need the centre of the prop to now travel towards the floor past the exhaust a little to allow enough movement at the rear. If you are still struggling you may need to undo the two bolts holding exhaust to the cat that you can see in your pictures.

That's the way that I had to do it on my XC70 that had the large flange but on my XC90, because I have the smaller rear flange I did not need to touch the centre prop support brackets.

This is the type of thing under the heat shield
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1562.jpg (53.9 KB, 23 views)

Last edited by S60D5-185; Apr 25th, 2020 at 12:11.
Old Apr 25th, 2020, 14:17   #25
drjarmin

Ok thanks. Will try tomorrow. Looks to me like it will snag on the exhaust but hopefully enough movement to get the cv joint off the flange.

If not need to change the AWD badge on the back to SWD!!
The Following User Says Thank You to drjarmin For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 25th, 2020, 14:28   #26
S60D5-185
Me ? Surely Not!

Quote:
Originally Posted by drjarmin View Post
Ok thanks. Will try tomorrow. Looks to me like it will snag on the exhaust but hopefully enough movement to get the cv joint off the flange.

If not need to change the AWD badge on the back to SWD!!
You don't need the centre to drop very far for the back to pull free.

As I say, on my XC70, I had to undo the two exhaust bolts and allow the exhaust to hang down.

You are very close now but try getting plenty of penetrating fluid on those two exhaust bolts now and allow it to work overnight in case you need to undo them tomorrow.

The flange nut will give you no problems if you use an impact gun .

Remember, although this has been a pain in the rs for you, it is a one off job and once you get the new pump in and fluid changed you will not have to revisit it. Job done.

The Following User Says Thank You to S60D5-185 For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 26th, 2020, 09:29   #27
drjarmin

Dropped the exhaust and the centre prop shaft. Prop shaft has moved back a few mm but is still snagging!!!

Can't see any more options on how to get the prop back the 2mm it needs to pull free. Don't want to force anything or won't be able to get it all back together.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1.jpg (100.7 KB, 29 views)
File Type: jpg 2.jpg (52.9 KB, 27 views)
File Type: jpg 3.jpg (64.1 KB, 26 views)
File Type: jpg 4.jpg (66.0 KB, 25 views)
Old Apr 26th, 2020, 11:08   #28
S60D5-185
Me ? Surely Not!

Pull the centre of the propshaft further down. It will go and will definitely release the rear CV. That can only be snagging now by a mm or so.

PS, I did say yesterday to drop the exhaust by removing the two bolts that hold it onto the cat . From the photos it looks like you have lowered it by removing it from the rubber hangers further back.

Leaving the hangers on and removing the two bolts at the catr will give far more prop movement precisely where you need it. That's why I mentioned putting releasing fluid on them yesterday. Be careful though not to strain or break the flexible section of exhaust just forward of the cat.👍

Last edited by S60D5-185; Apr 26th, 2020 at 12:16.
The Following User Says Thank You to S60D5-185 For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 26th, 2020, 18:06   #29
drjarmin

Thanks.

Ive left the exhaust on the rubbers and unbolted the hangers. I did blast the exhaust bolts with penetrating oil last night and again this morning. Managed to get one nut off. The other nut won't budge and the corners started to round when i used a breaker bar.

I'll try again tomorrow. Felt like the prop wouldnt go any lower. Hope i can get it all back in place if i have a miracle and manage to get the cv joint out of the flange!

Fingers crossed. Was a long battle today.
Old Apr 27th, 2020, 11:37   #30
drjarmin

Moved the exhaust out as far as possible and wiggled pulled prodded the prop shaft and eventually it came out!!!

Now how to get the flange bolt out? It keeps turning. I put a bolt through the hole but it somehow bent and kept rotating.

Any final tip or trick anyone? I feel this must be the last hurdle 😅