Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Any way to test alternator?

Views : 1333

Replies : 27

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 21st, 2016, 17:47   #21
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

What is it (740/940. engine, year etc?) and did the charge warning light work when you first got it? Or any of the warnings lights come to that?

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21st, 2016, 17:49   #22
cheshired5
Premier Member

In case you missed me asking it earlier.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheshired5 View Post
Have you checked the diodes?
There's more than one reason for low volts.....
Old Sep 21st, 2016, 20:11   #23
Sheehan879

Diodes were checked and the lights have never worked. Will put the recon alternator on tommorow and report back.
Sheehan879 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21st, 2016, 23:38   #24
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheehan879 View Post
Diodes were checked and the lights have never worked. Will put the recon alternator on tommorow and report back.
Is that the one that previously got hot?

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Old Sep 22nd, 2016, 21:30   #25
Sheehan879

Thanks for all your help, after getting a 2.4 turbo alternator that didn't fit I eventually got a 2.0 NA recon unit and all is now well. Even my dash lights come on now, not sure what effect the alternator has on dash lights but there you go.
The Following User Says Thank You to Sheehan879 For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 22nd, 2016, 23:09   #26
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheehan879 View Post
Thanks for all your help, after getting a 2.4 turbo alternator that didn't fit I eventually got a 2.0 NA recon unit and all is now well. Even my dash lights come on now, not sure what effect the alternator has on dash lights but there you go.
As previously mentioned, you need the field circuit (warning light) working for the alternator to charge. Many of the other warning lights in the panel come on when there is a "no charge" situation as a self test.
Because the no-charge situation didn't bring the charge warning light on, the electronics supplying the other warning lights for self-test would not have powered up, hence no other lights.

All the evidence was there from the start.

You've learned a fair bit about your car including the fact that Volvo didn't make the 2.4TIC diseasel unit, it's a VW engine. That's why the alternator didn't fit.

The 2.0 n/asp alternator might be lower output than you should have on your car but we still don't know what model, trim or engine you have in yours. It would have made diagnosis easier!

Old Sep 28th, 2016, 14:55   #27
Sheehan879

I am back to square one, the new alternator seemed to do the trick, all the dash lights started to come on including the battery light. Got in today and no lights apart from the seatbelt warning. I checked with a fluke and the alternator is not charging again.

I am thinking instrument cluster, I removed it but all looks fine. Can I test the instrument cluster?
Old Sep 28th, 2016, 16:19   #28
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Something i had on one of my 740s was the connectors in the plugs that plug in the back of the instrument cluster were all dirty and the springiness of the contact fingers had subsided over time.

I removed the cluster, went through each contact "finger" on each plug (where it connects to the PCB on the back of the cluster when the plug is pushed in) and eased it up to make more of a curve (you'll see what i mean when you look at the plugs) and cleaned each one and also the PCB with some very fine emery cloth - don't use sandpaper!!!

Plugged it all back and tried it, job done! Also might pay to check the bulb in the charge (battery) warning light is making a proper connection in the bulb holder. It's a higher power bulb than the others usually to provide the current the alternator field needs but should be a maximum of 3W - don't put anything bigger such as a 5W in as you could easily damage the alternator.

Also check the connections to the alternator.