Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Don't Use The Odometer, Fact Or Myth?

Views : 1610

Replies : 46

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 4th, 2018, 11:49   #21
Prufrock
I've Been Banned

Being a motorcycle rider, for longer than I have been a driver, I therefore have been using a trip for a very long time. I didn't correct the OP as I assumed we all knew to what he was referring.

Jon.

Last edited by Prufrock; Aug 4th, 2018 at 12:25. Reason: correction
Prufrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 4th, 2018, 12:41   #22
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

We may have been clear but only from experience Jon.

Imagine someone who is new to Volvos and has never used a tripmeter for any reason.
They would think that they had a problem with their odometer because it wasn't resettable.

There are a lot of other things (not just on here but everywhere) that are called by their incorrect names - people referring to relays as solenoids is one. Two totally different animals!

Yesterday i was adding LED indicators on the back end (already got them on the front) and although i had 2 load resistors (to prevent hyperflash) they were on the front indicators. The postie failed to deliver the two extra load resistors i had ordered. Knowing that situation was unlikely to change before i next need to use that car, i had to find a way round it.

The answer was simple - use a bridge rectifier as both a pair of blocking diodes (to prevent both indicators operating regardless of which was selected) and as a pair of linking diodes to link whichever side i was using to both load resistors.

I'm not going into the details as it's a bit long-winded and i haven't drawn a diagram which would explain it in a matter of seconds. The point being if i didn't know my anode from my cathode i couldn't have done it.

Perhaps i was being pedantic because i had just finished that and was tired, sometimes though there is a need for accuracy!

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 4th, 2018, 12:58   #23
Prufrock
I've Been Banned

[QUOTE=Laird Scooby;2433531Perhaps i was being pedantic because i had just finished that and was tired, sometimes though there is a need for accuracy! [/QUOTE]

I resisted simply because I'm often chastised (being polite) on the forum for my desire for accuracy - a bicycle ride now beckons, I get really irritated when people on cycling forums don't know the difference between a freewheel and a cassette or that between shot-in and fastback stays !

Jon.

Last edited by Prufrock; Aug 4th, 2018 at 13:08.
Old Aug 4th, 2018, 13:19   #24
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prufrock View Post
I resisted simply because I'm often chastised (being polite) on the forum for my desire for accuracy - a bicycle ride now beckons, I get really irritated when people on cycling forums don't know the difference between a freewheel and a cassette or that between shot-in and fastback stays !

Jon.
The terminology has changed (and grown) from my cycling days Jon, can't help you on that one!

Out of curiosity, i looked up cassettes on a cycling supplies website and found it's what i would have known as a "x-speed freewheel" where x is the number of different sized sprockets selectable by the derailleur mechanism.

However, looking at the cassettes on that website, it would appear that cassettes need a separate freewheel attached to the wheel and the the cassette simply drops on, presumably with some sort of retaining mechanism.

Not just the terminology that's changed but the technology as well! I can see how it would cause a problem these days though!

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Old Aug 4th, 2018, 14:24   #25
john.wigley
VOC Member since 1986

What you knew as an 'x-speed freewheel', 'L.S.', I knew as a 'Block', usually with a 'fixie' on the other side!

Regards. John.
Old Aug 4th, 2018, 14:51   #26
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by john.wigley View Post
What you knew as an 'x-speed freewheel', 'L.S.', I knew as a 'Block', usually with a 'fixie' on the other side!

Regards. John.
Just for clarification John, this is what i always knew (and still found online by searching for) a 5-speed freewheel :

It seems the more modern ones simply have splines internally and some sort of retainer (like a driveshaft hub nut) rather than the screw on fixing. At least with those, new ratchets could be fitted if they became worn, bearings etc - seems those "cassettes" are designed to be disposable!

*** EDIT *** Apologies for the H-U-G-E image it didn't come up that big and i couldn't find a smaller one!

Last edited by Laird Scooby; Aug 4th, 2018 at 14:54.
Old Aug 4th, 2018, 15:06   #27
Prufrock
I've Been Banned

Back now, just a short ride, as I'd given my Bianchi some new cables and a general fettle.

Ok, back in the day before cassettes (introduced by Shimano around the mid 1980s) freewheels were often referred to as blocks (simply a block of cogs). However what John refers to is a fixed, which is a fixed single sprocket (no freewheel) beloved of old style roadies to practice soupless (or pedalling technique).

Fixie (the same as Fixed) is a term used by young(ish) hipsters to describe that same thing.

J.

N.B I have a number of bicycles with freewheels (blocks) and several with cassettes (Shimano have two types - UG and HG) - of course both have freewheels just to make things confusing. I've been known to ride fixed too, but not recently. N+1 is the ideal quantity of bicycles to have, N being the number you currently have !

Last edited by Prufrock; Aug 4th, 2018 at 15:14.
Old Aug 4th, 2018, 15:14   #28
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prufrock View Post
Back now, just a short ride, as I'd given my Bianchi some new cables and a general fettle.

Ok, back in the day before cassettes (introduced by Shimano around the mid 1980s) freewheels were often referred to as blocks (simply a block of cogs). However what John refers to is a fixed, which is a fixed single sprocket (no freewheel) beloved of old style roadies to practice soupless (or pedalling technique).

Fixie (the same as Fixed) is a term used by young(ish) hipsters to describe that same thing.

J.

N.B I have a number of bicycles with freewheels (blocks) and several with cassettes (Shimano have two types - UG and HG) -of course both have freewheels just to make things confusing.

I'll stick to Volvos and Rovers these days i think - even combined they're a lot less confusing than that lot!

By the mid-80s i'd progressed from the "humble treader" to 4-wheeled transport, got me where i needed to go a lot quicker, less tired and dry, regardless of the weather. Haven't looked back since, except in a couple of emergency situations that caused hospitalisation both times so now i play it safe and don't use two-wheeled transport.

The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 4th, 2018, 15:18   #29
Prufrock
I've Been Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post

I'll stick to Volvos and Rovers these days i think - even combined they're a lot less confusing than that lot!

By the mid-80s i'd progressed from the "humble treader" to 4-wheeled transport, got me where i needed to go a lot quicker, less tired and dry, regardless of the weather. Haven't looked back since, except in a couple of emergency situations that caused hospitalisation both times so now i play it safe and don't use two-wheeled transport.
Had my first proper bicycle at the age of five (proper being chain driven rather than pedals directly driving the front wheel). Had my first handbuilt frame (a Roberts) at 16 (which I still ride), never stopped - two wheels good four wheels not so (paraphrasing Orwell).

Jon.
Old Aug 4th, 2018, 15:18   #30
Stephen Edwin
Premier Member

Diagnosing appendicitis? The only time I've been in theatre watching an appendectomy, it turned out to be *salpingitis. So they took out the appendix and administered penicillin.

*Obviously I was not the patient.

Stephen Edwin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Stephen Edwin For This Useful Post: