Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General Forum for the Volvo PV, 120 and 1800 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Sobering test P1800E vs modern Citroen Berlingo

Views : 3398

Replies : 35

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 18th, 2012, 10:00   #21
swedishandgerman
Premier Member

There is no getting away from the fact that advances in technology provide evolotion and improvements. In comparison my modern thing does everything better than my oldies apart from putting a smile on my face. Oh, and depreciation

I was thinking of swapping my V70 for a more charming 240 GLT, but then I watched the crash tests on Youtube...... Enough said. That and the fact the thing stops on muddy Devon lanes much better than an oldy

I know you could get run over by a bus and all that, but it's things like this that make me think hard and fast about using an old car as an everyday
1970 Amazon 2-Door
1970 142DL
swedishandgerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18th, 2012, 20:22   #22
classicswede
Trader Volvo in my veins

I suppose a 240 is probably a bit safer than a V70 but at least the V70 would be pretty close. I would not want to be in any modern small car in a crash. They might keep their shape well but that is what will cause you the damage!
classicswede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 22nd, 2012, 19:08   #23
Iamtheonlyreal1
Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by swedishandgerman View Post
There is no getting away from the fact that advances in technology provide evolotion and improvements. In comparison my modern thing does everything better than my oldies apart from putting a smile on my face. Oh, and depreciation

I was thinking of swapping my V70 for a more charming 240 GLT, but then I watched the crash tests on Youtube...... Enough said. That and the fact the thing stops on muddy Devon lanes much better than an oldy

I know you could get run over by a bus and all that, but it's things like this that make me think hard and fast about using an old car as an everyday
Glad to see your side of the pond is starting to come around, and your discussion needs to wake a few people up on our side of the pond.. I have been crucified beyond belief for this arguement, and the products I have been working on, but the truth is the truth.. These Classic Volvo's can catch up with the times, and there is nothing wrong with doing so...

Classic Auto Glass Innovations
Flush Mount Glass
Classicautoglassinnovations.com
Iamtheonlyreal1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 22nd, 2012, 20:43   #24
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:

what bothered you with a 240 crash test ? just wondered ....
Old Jul 22nd, 2012, 21:54   #25
Derek UK
VOC Member

Smile

We know where you're coming from Robert and it looks as if you're producing some nice kit. Unfortunately, on this side of the pond there are few who have the readies to spend on these "updates". Until then, a line in Adam's post that you replied to will have to suffice.

"In comparison, my modern thing does everything better than my oldies apart from putting a smile on my face."

Having a smile on my face and not spending $25k on mods, Priceless!
Derek UK is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Derek UK For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 23rd, 2012, 12:54   #26
swedishandgerman
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clan View Post
what bothered you with a 240 crash test ? just wondered ....
There's nothing on Youtube showing 240 crash testing so I'm not pointing at anything specifically concerning about a 240 - I know that compared to others from that era, a 240 is particularly good. I was referring to the fact that the V70 appears to perform extremely well in the crash tests compared to other cars and for that reason I decided to keep the boring thing

If I did change it to a more attractive 240, it would pick at me the whole time my wife and family were out in a car that didn't have as good brakes as my existing Volvo. As well as all the other advances in safety technology in the design of a car launched in 2000 rather than a car launched on 1974. When I'm talking about safety technology, I'm talking about the features that reduce injuries in a crash instead of safety in avoiding a crash

Two things:

Did you see Fifth Gear when they smashed a '93 Volvo 940 (complete with ALL the safety features of any massive Volvo) into a 2008 Renault Modus?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qBDyeWofcLY

Secondly, have you EVER seen the aftermath of a smash involving a crappety old car

That's why I'm keeping my boring modern thing instead of changing it for something older
1970 Amazon 2-Door
1970 142DL
swedishandgerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23rd, 2012, 13:20   #27
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
There's nothing on Youtube showing 240 crash testing so I'm not pointing at anything specifically concerning about a 240 - I know that compared to others from that era, a 240 is particularly good. I was referring to the fact that the V70 appears to perform extremely well in the crash tests compared to other cars and for that reason I decided to keep the boring thing

If I did change it to a more attractive 240, it would pick at me the whole time my wife and family were out in a car that didn't have as good brakes as my existing Volvo. As well as all the other advances in safety technology in the design of a car launched in 2000 rather than a car launched on 1974. When I'm talking about safety technology, I'm talking about the features that reduce injuries in a crash instead of safety in avoiding a crash

Two things:

Did you see Fifth Gear when they smashed a '93 Volvo 940 (complete with ALL the safety features of any massive Volvo) into a 2008 Renault Modus?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qBDyeWofcLY

Secondly, have you EVER seen the aftermath of a smash involving a crappety old car

That's why I'm keeping my boring modern thing instead of changing it for something older
Many people think that 940/modus crash test was faked . For sure the modus was aimed between the main chassis rail and the outside of the car so the wheel was pushed into the car before anything really started absorbing the accident .
Anyway the 240 wasnt just particularly good in 1974 , it was the world leader, and the americans thought as much as to base their safety regulations on it .
you can drive a 240 into a brick wall at 50 mph and open the doors and step out . if a little dizzy . there is 3 feet of compression at the front which reduces the G force of the crash a huge amount . The door panels and beams do their job by being thick steel rather than the lighter but extra strength steel of current volvos .
The frontal structure is done on modern volvos in a different way now with 3 grades of steel and six instead of two longitudinal beams which progressivly collapse , the front beams are boron steel which is too hard to drill . However you are nearer the point of impact in a newer volvo so g forces may be greater . This is exagerated in the SMART car which is very strong but there is nothing at the front to crush and reduce the G force so you get bad injuries from the seat belts .
Dont be put off from getting a 240 ..

PS there ARE 240 crash tests on You tube ...
Old Jul 23rd, 2012, 16:25   #28
woodman
Master Member

Quote:

I know you're right in principle, Adam, but surely if we followed that thinking through we'd never go out in our old cars at all, and certainly wouldn't take family or friends out in them. I definitely don't want to have a car crash in any vehicle, but I don't think I've ever chosen a car on the basis of my likelihood of surviving a crash in it. I don't have the financial luxury of owning more than one car, but it's the road trip adventures with the car laden down with wife and daughter, baggage (and bottles of booze on some occasions) that are the ones where having a classic becomes really fun. So I think we've already made our choice about how much of a priority safety is compared to fun.

2002 Audi TT quattro. (Sorry!)
woodman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23rd, 2012, 19:16   #29
alastair

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamtheonlyreal1 View Post
Glad to see your side of the pond is starting to come around, and your discussion needs to wake a few people up on our side of the pond.. I have been crucified beyond belief for this arguement, and the products I have been working on, but the truth is the truth.. These Classic Volvo's can catch up with the times, and there is nothing wrong with doing so...
I think you missed this bit: In comparison my modern thing does everything better than my oldies apart from putting a smile on my face.
alastair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23rd, 2012, 19:22   #30
alastair

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodman View Post
I know you're right in principle, Adam, but surely if we followed that thinking through we'd never go out in our old cars at all, and certainly wouldn't take family or friends out in them. I definitely don't want to have a car crash in any vehicle, but I don't think I've ever chosen a car on the basis of my likelihood of surviving a crash in it. I don't have the financial luxury of owning more than one car, but it's the road trip adventures with the car laden down with wife and daughter, baggage (and bottles of booze on some occasions) that are the ones where having a classic becomes really fun. So I think we've already made our choice about how much of a priority safety is compared to fun.
Console yourself with the knowledge that your classic car is far safer than any modern motorbike you could buy.
alastair is offline   Reply With Quote