Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S40 / V40 '96-'04 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S40 / V40 '96-'04 General Forum for the Volvo S40 and V40 (Classic) Series from 1995-2004.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Poor MPG, help!!

Views : 3044

Replies : 53

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 19th, 2017, 17:21   #21
Beach Person

Some similar symptoms to cam sensor fault or crank sensor fault but they generate an engine fault light. Fuel filter maybe some of what you say but not all maybe.

Last edited by Beach Person; Apr 19th, 2017 at 17:24.
Beach Person is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19th, 2017, 17:39   #22
SIAMBLUE
Premier Member

I would guess leaky injector, instead of spraying it will drip, that would give you bad fuel consumption, to be honest do some tests, then go from there.
Old Apr 19th, 2017, 18:20   #23
ANDTWENTY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beach Person View Post
Some similar symptoms to cam sensor fault or crank sensor fault but they generate an engine fault light. Fuel filter maybe some of what you say but not all maybe.
I changed the cam seal where the sensor is just after having the car and all seemed okay but yea, I dont have a light.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIAMBLUE View Post
I would guess leaky injector, instead of spraying it will drip, that would give you bad fuel consumption, to be honest do some tests, then go from there.
This has crossed my mind because when I accelerate hard it can be quite lumping and hesitate which makes me think a fuel issue? I might give them a check and replace the fuel filters too.
ANDTWENTY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19th, 2017, 19:55   #24
ANDTWENTY

I just went to check the injectors, I pulled the fuel rail out so the injectors were suspended and turned the key to the on position so the fuel filter was priming, checked the injectors and there is no fuel leak so the injectors aren't leaking. I then checked if they were opening and closing properly by putting a screwdriver to them and my ear and they all seam to be clicking evenly. So this rules out leaking and working? They could still be blocked or a bad spray pattern, would this be a cause of poor mpg? I saw on internet that a symptom of a bad fuel injector can be a bad idle which is something i have noticed when starting the car.
Old Apr 19th, 2017, 22:51   #25
clarkey1984
Premier Member

I know on some diesel injectors something can wear and cause far too much fuel to be injected, we have a Chrysler voyage at work that over fuels and smokes like nothing I have ever seen because three out of the four are doing exactly That, although how rare it is, or if a similar thing could even apply for a petrol injector or injectors I don't know.
Old Apr 20th, 2017, 07:49   #26
ANDTWENTY

Quote:
Originally Posted by clarkey1984 View Post
I know on some diesel injectors something can wear and cause far too much fuel to be injected, we have a Chrysler voyage at work that over fuels and smokes like nothing I have ever seen because three out of the four are doing exactly That, although how rare it is, or if a similar thing could even apply for a petrol injector or injectors I don't know.
I hadn't thought of that happening other than leaking but i guess its something else to check, I think i'm gonna have to rig something up and give them all a test, they looked like they could do with a clean too so will probably do that at the same time.

The other thing that's now making me wonder is the O2 sensor, might give this a clean too? And airflow sensor?
Old Apr 20th, 2017, 08:08   #27
ww1dm1
What is this I don't even

If your coolant temperature sensor peaks at 55degC - something is definitely wrong and it definitely negatively affects your MPG as the mixture is always richened artificially. And my something I mean either the thermostat is stuck open or the sensor readings drifted. Figure out which and replace either the sensor or thermostat.
ww1dm1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20th, 2017, 17:56   #28
ANDTWENTY

Quote:
Originally Posted by ww1dm1 View Post
If your coolant temperature sensor peaks at 55degC - something is definitely wrong and it definitely negatively affects your MPG as the mixture is always richened artificially. And my something I mean either the thermostat is stuck open or the sensor readings drifted. Figure out which and replace either the sensor or thermostat.
The thermostat was the first thing I replaced, I saw that it was running too cool and it was a common issue so sorted it and thought it would be bad mpg over but no its still here.
Old Apr 20th, 2017, 18:03   #29
ANDTWENTY

I recet the average mpg and deceided to drive as best i possible could on my way to college, its about 12 miles with mainly A roads, a mile or 2 of dual carriageway and a mile or so of traffic light section. I coasted where possible and didn't accelerate hard I managed to average about 36mpg which is good but when i got on the dual carriageway they just started falling, doing 50/60 in steady traffic on the A roads was fine, good mpg around 2500 rpm but as soon as i did 70 with around 3000/3200 it just started plummeted. I also had to nip across the city to get some bits and bobs and again my mpg dropped to about 25, i was still being careful but there was a few lights and slower traffic but is this really how it should be?

I picked up some quality spark plugs and put some premium fuel in so will see how that takes. I still have the issue of lumpy acceleration where it just hesitates like it has a choke!? and a slightly dodgy idle, it never drops below 1,000 and fluctuates between 1000 and about 1300? I'm thinking this is due to some blocked injectors.
Old Apr 20th, 2017, 19:54   #30
colnet

Have you tried cleaning the icv (idle control valve) ? There is a how to, just do a google search.

colnet
colnet is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to colnet For This Useful Post: